Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Will they reliably cycle .22 LR Sub Sonic ammo??? Or should I be looking for a 572 pump???

I'm open to other suggestions, but my prerequisites are that whatever I end up with, has to shoot anything I put in it...it has to be fairly quick and I need to be able to stick an optic (red dot) on it...

GB1

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They have a unique floating chamber that allows alternating between shorts, Longs and Long Rifle. I'm willing to bet it would cycle sub-sonics.

Kelly
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KMS
They have a unique floating chamber that allows alternating between shorts, Longs and Long Rifle. I'm willing to bet it would cycle sub-sonics.

I'm sure that KMS is right.

A friend had a Rem 550 (the predecessor to the 550-1 model) that I used to borrow and shoot a lot.

All I had to do was to keep that floating chamber clean and it shot anything including subsonic loads.

I was never able to by my friend's Rem 550 so perhaps it is time I got the new model for myself!

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might consider the Remington 552. It's a full sized semiauto rifle that shoots shorts, longs, long rifles and has a grooved receiver. I've owned a couple and still have one. Remington's been making them for over 60 years. I like the older ones.

No question the 550s are cool old school rifles but the owners of the only two 550s I knew said the floating chamber could be a problem sometimes.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 07/13/18.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A very unique rifle. My 550-1 digests everything from Long Rifle HV to Short CBs without a stutter. I've never had a problem with the floating chamber.

[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
You might consider the Remington 552. It's a full sized semiauto rifle that shoots shorts, longs, long rifles and has a grooved receiver. I've owned a couple and still have one. Remington's been making them for over 60 years. I like the older ones.

No question the 550s are cool old school rifles but the owners of the only two 550s I knew said the floating chamber could be a problem sometimes.

I've had both at different times in my life...I could never get used to the bolt handle on the 552 being on the left hand side and I don't recall ever having an issue with the floating chamber on my 550....I'm still not dead set on any particular rifle.....I could probably even be talked into a BL-22 if the right deal came along.....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If all you're looking to do is shoot sub-sonics, look no further than the 10-22. I've fired thousands through mine (with a can) without issue. The 550-1 will go a couple steps further and function with CCI Quiets and CB Shorts though.

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 43Shooter

The problems with the 550 floating chamber happen when the chamber becomes dirty and sticks. Clean it, dry it and the problem goes away.

Kelly
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Middlefork Miner: What a coincidence - a Remington Model 550 followed me home from a gunshow just two days ago (Friday July 13th).
I bought it more as a collector/investment (got it real cheap!) piece and probably won't fire it but offer it up again at the upcoming gunshows here in western Montana later this month.
I will pass along the info I got here to the new owner when I sell it.
Best of luck with yours if you decide to try the 550
I also have a Remington 552 (semi-auto) that does function very reliably with 22 L.R. ammo (never tried any of the lesser powered offerings) - and it looks good, so that may be an option for you!.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by tmitch
If all you're looking to do is shoot sub-sonics, look no further than the 10-22. I've fired thousands through mine (with a can) without issue. The 550-1 will go a couple steps further and function with CCI Quiets and CB Shorts though.

No, I'm not just looking at shooting sub sonics...I live within 300 yds of a couple of houses and quite often (at least once a week and usually at night) the coyotes here start circling the chain link perimeter fence (Boat/RV storage yard) with about 8 acres out of 20 fenced in...they yip and yap and raise hell.....I think they're trying to get my JRTs to come out and play....during the day, I really don't care much about noise, because we sometimes allow our customers to hunt on the property, but at night, I'd prefer the neighbors didn't know I was shooting....I've got a bid in on a 550 on GB right now...I think the CB shorts might work nicely with a red dot optic. Around 4 this morning (when I went out to pee) I seen one sneaking around the front gate...these coyotes around here are sneaky as hell....

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Make sure the one you bid on has a scope dovetail or you'll hafta D&T it for a rail. Mine doesn't have a dovetail. For coyotes I'd probably lean towards the CCI Quiets and their heavier bullets. The 40gr segmented hollow point might impress the yotes more than a 29 gr solid.

Charter Member

szihn

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by tmitch
Make sure the one you bid on has a scope dovetail

Yes, it has the grooved rec.....I won the auction at $205.....now the fun part of finding a local FFL....I'm gonna hope it shoots and functions as good as it looks....

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well, I finally got to look at it today....all I can say is its condition is SWEET and it looks like it's seen little use....the ffl guy that received it said it was the nicest one he's ever seen... The pics on GB didn't do it justice....The 10 day wait here sucks....

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
The jury is in and the verdict has been rendered.....it's a keeper. Barrel stamp indicates it was made in Sept. 1967. and other than a few dents in the stock, it shows no signs of being used much....a mix of ammo (including CB shorts) was run through it and function was flawless....I haven't shot it at paper yet, but cans and odd colored bark are easy targets. These old Remingtons are even better and more fun than I remembered....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,629 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,839
Posts18,478,119
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.