Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NH K9
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by CCCC
Most moral beings with a working soul will find it difficult to decide and act to deliberately kill someone - particularly if it is a baby being killed. To address that moral and decision difficulty, folks have dragged in all of the slicing and dicing having to do with legalities, state vs. feds, tax dollars, trimesters, viability, sentience and the avoidance terms like pro-choice. That is what most humans want to do when they can't stand to face the reality. Killing is killing.
Evidence supporting the above can be found all through this thread. The issue of abortion is a very telling example of the selfishness and immorality we humans will demonstrate at times. For me, the "legalization" of killing babies was a very serious and telling step down the slope of social degradation. Just as with many other problem issues created by bad human decisions, the matter of abortion is not easy. But, it is simple. Many folks try to complicate the matter with hypotheticals, deviating variables and potential escape routes. Humans can behave greatly and nobly in the face of realities, and they can be cowardly and devious if they choose. Humans have the "choice" - create impregnation, or don't. If they choose to create a child, the best of them will deal nobly with the consequences. Others will be selfish and cowardly. And, please, don't try to counter with some devious red herring escape path like "in cases of rape or incest" - that tiny potential conflict in values. The overwhelming mass of this issue has almost nothing to do with those.
Next time I deal with the victim of one of those scenarios, I’ll be sure to enlighten them of their “red herring” status. George
Mr. George - enlighten as you wish, but kindly remember that my comment had nothing to do with any person who is an actual victim of rape or incest. I think you know full well that I was not talking about those women personally - that I was addressing the individuals who try to apply such "conditions" as ostensibly meaningful stats in discussion about the wholesale killing of babies. I, personally, "have "dealt with" (as you say) women who have been such victims and, beyond trying to be as compassionate as possible, have sometimes practically knocked myself out trying to be of assistance. Those can be horrible events for the women and families involved and the situations can be quite difficult - very challenging at times.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Next time I deal with the victim of one of those scenarios, I’ll be sure to enlighten them of their “red herring” status.

George

Good point. Since you put it on front street, how many cases of incest and rape have you dealt with that resulted in pregnancy?

Serious question.

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Or you could put it this way: When is it permissible to risk killing an innocent person?

It doesn't matter how many different ways people argue this and how heart wrenching the situation. The bottom line is that this is executing an innocent human. All of us could argue the individual circumstances until we're blue in the face. It's still putting a human life to death. A life that has committed no crime and has had no trial. This scenario sucks no matter how you look at it.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Next time I deal with the victim of one of those scenarios, I’ll be sure to enlighten them of their “red herring” status.

George

Good point. Since you put it on front street, how many cases of incest and rape have you dealt with that resulted in pregnancy?

Serious question.

Personally.........2 that immediately come too mind. I’m peripherally aware of several more through my “circle”.

I agree that the numbers are low, but each one of those “numbers” is a victim. That’s my trouble with “absolutes”.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

George

Serious question.

Personally.........2 that immediately come too mind. I’m peripherally aware of several more through my “circle”.

I agree that the numbers are low, but each one of those “numbers” is a victim. That’s my trouble with “absolutes”.

George

Thank you George.

While I in no way diminish the violence that has been inflicted on those poor girls, it is a drop in the bucket compared to the national argument. If all we were talking about were a procedure that while rare, was possible for those who had been raped to decide whether to live with the scars and pain that comes with carrying the baby full term vs the pain and scars that comes with killing the baby, then it would be a much smaller conversation.

Should we ban private ownership of firearms based on the instances of kids getting ahold of a gun and having a tragic negligent discharge? Parallels are often hard to draw, but in this instance I believe it fits.

Abortion is personal to me and I've some intimate interaction with it as well, which is where I come from in re my stance on the issue.

If you'd (and maybe you have I dunno) interacted with families after the fact when a kid came in and got hold of a gun and tragedy ensued, would you be of the position that maybe the freedoms enshrined in the 2nd Amendment aren't absolute?

Last edited by BillyGoatGruff; 07/12/18. Reason: Clarification

MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Peddler
Or you could put it this way: When is it permissible to risk killing an innocent person?

It doesn't matter how many different ways people argue this and how heart wrenching the situation. The bottom line is that this is executing an innocent human. All of us could argue the individual circumstances until we're blue in the face. It's still putting a human life to death. A life that has committed no crime and has had no trial. This scenario sucks no matter how you look at it.

Maybe, maybe not. Lots of disagreement of when human life begins, nobody knows to a rational (non-faith based) certainty. One of the major problems in Roe leading to their trimester approach. That's why I included "risk". The point is you should build a rational framework to analyze your position . Makes the hard cases easier to sort out.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Both of my kids are adopted. You guys can obviously guess where I stand.

I can't support the murder of innocent, unborn children under any circumstances, personally.

Same situation in our family. Both of my kids are adopted. Both adoptions involved a lawyer who works with crisis pregnancy centers to give birth mothers alternatives to abortion.

My kids and their Mom and I are opposed.

It would help immensely if they reformed the adoption laws. As it is, the adoptive parents can go through hell at the expense of the child.
An example is my niece, once removed. She's a druggie who recently had her 2d out of wedlock kid. My sister & her husband are raising the 1st one, as great grandparents. The 2d she put up for adoption.
The father wanted to live with her but it was a 1 night stand and she didn't even like the guy. He refused to sign his rights away (he actually wanted the welfare money). It went on for a couple months even though the court ruled that he wasn't a fit father. He couldn't show any means of support other than welfare.
Then she admitted that another guy MIGHT be the father. They DNA tested him and it turned out that he WAS the father. He was willing to sign. Meanwhile, a very nice couple who can't have kids was waiting and spending tens of thousands of $$ paying for all of this. He works in Switzerland and they were back and forth a number of times trying to resolve it. They couldn't get a passport for the kid until all this was resolved. It was a colossal mess.

I can see why some women elect abortion rather than deal with child welfare and the courts. Something in the process is broken.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Maybe, maybe not. Lots of disagreement of when human life begins, nobody knows to a rational (non-faith based) certainty. One of the major problems in Roe leading to their trimester approach. That's why I included "risk". The point is you should build a rational framework to analyze your position . Makes the hard cases easier to sort out.

My rational basis for "when life begins" is at the moment of consciousness, some might refer to this as "quickening", or ensoulment, after this point it shouldn't be a choice unless the life of the mother is at serious risk.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N

George

Serious question.

George

Thank you George.

While I in no way diminish the violence that has been inflicted on those poor girls, it is a drop in the bucket compared to the national argument. If all we were talking about were a procedure that while rare, was possible for those who had been raped to decide whether to live with the scars and pain that comes with carrying the baby full term vs the pain and scars that comes with killing the baby, then it would be a much smaller conversation.

Should we ban private ownership of firearms based on the instances of kids getting ahold of a gun and having a tragic negligent discharge? Parallels are often hard to draw, but in this instance I believe it fits.

Abortion is personal to me and I've some intimate interaction with it as well, which is where I come from in re my stance on the issue.

If you'd (and maybe you have I dunno) interacted with families after the fact when a kid came in and got hold of a gun and tragedy ensued, would you be of the position that maybe the freedoms enshrined in the 2nd Amendment aren't absolute?

I actually have experience with that both professionally and personally during my youth. In a Town as small as where I grew up, I’d have “known” the young man anyway, but in reality he was a year older than I was, rode my bus, and was almost a “brother” to one of my friends. None of that has ever changed my stance on the 2nd.

Also, so you know where I stand........personally, I’m extremely anti/abortion due to both my upbringing and subsequent internal review of the factors involved. I’m also a realist that understands there are exceptions. None of “us” have the right to tell a victim......not a willing participant.....that they “have to”.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Understood.

If we could only roll it back to where that was the only situation(s) involved.

MAGA
IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
You’ll get no debate from me there.

George

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

It's alive + It has human DNA -> It's a human life.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

You asserting a definition does not make it the most commonly accepted.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

We could also examine the other side of that question. What are you responsibilities when it it you who insist another must live?

In ancient Japan, if you prevented a person from committing suicide, you became responsible for the care and well being, feeding, clothing,and sheltering them, or the rest of their life.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Squidge
My rational basis for "when life begins" is at the moment of consciousness, some might refer to this as "quickening", or ensoulment, after this point it shouldn't be a choice unless the life of the mother is at serious risk.

Accepting your definition of when life begins for the moment, what principle guides you to reject elective abortion but accept abortion if the life of the mother is at serious risk? Say, taking the life of an innocent is wrong, not a radical point of view. How do you distinguish one case from the other?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Accepting your definition of when life begins for the moment, what principle guides you to reject elective abortion but accept abortion if the life of the mother is at serious risk? Say, taking the life of an innocent is wrong, not a radical point of view. How do you distinguish one case from the other?

That is a tough question but it boils down to that almost universally citizenship and the rights of citizenship are conferred at birth and not before. A pregrant women has the right defend her life if it at serious risk of being lost. If I recall correctly, it wasn't too far in the distant past where 5% of pregnant women lost their lives due comp!ications during pregnancy or during childbirth.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

That is a tough question but it boils down to that almost universally citizenship and the rights of citizenship are conferred at birth and not before. A pregrant women has the right defend her life if it at serious risk of being lost. If I recall correctly, it wasn't too far in the distant past where 5% of pregnant women lost their lives due comp!ications during pregnancy or during childbirth.

Historically it was a lot more than 5%, especially for first time mothers.

It wasn't all that long ago you needed to birth an average of 8 kids just to get two to adulthood.

Fortunately, that's no longer the world we live in.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 07/12/18.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Are you now touting "most common;y accepted" as basis for a moral rational framework? If so, what is the moral and rational basis for your tout? if you are not pressing that as a basis, why did you post as you did?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Are you now touting "most common;y accepted" as basis for a moral rational framework? If so, what is the moral and rational basis for your tout? if you are not pressing that as a basis, why did you post as you did?

We could also examine the other side of that question. What are you responsibilities when it it you who insist another must live?
For a person to advocate and insist on a moral principle, the person need not attempt to to enforce it - and it seems that most do not - they simply advocate and protest. It is the enforcer of a position that must accept responsibility for the effects.

L
L
I am against abortion, it is life and it deserves to see how beautiful the world is.

Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 219 Wasp, 69 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,927
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.