Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 20 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 20
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by vapodog
f this I can say.....the 7 RM isn't worth 32 pages of discussion on any forum.....it is what it is.....an over glorified .270 Winchester.

I'd take the 7 Rem Mag over the .270 or .30-06 for all around hunting every day of the week. And I've owned and used multiple examples of all three.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mike74
f this I can say.....the 7 RM isn't worth 32 pages of discussion on any forum.....it is what it is.....an over glorified .270 Winchester.

I'd take the 7 Rem Mag over the .270 or .30-06 for all around hunting every day of the week. And I've owned and used multiple examples of all three.

Take whatever you want.....it doesn't change the fact that the 7 RM is simply an overglorified .270

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
160 gr+/.600+ BC/3000+ FPS...... is what defends the 7 Mag... the numbers don’t lie. That’s rare air.... suffice the other mid-7s (WSM, Bee, Mash, Rocket Fuel loaded .280AI, etc), there’s only a handful of cartridges that can meet/exceed that trifecta..... and they all recoil WAY more.

What factory ammo gives that performance? 95% of hunter's aren't getting this "rare air".

If you run factory ammo for the 7 Rem Mag all you have to do is get Hornady Superformance. A 139 at 3,240.

And they have a 270 load with the 130 at 3200 fps. If I was going to use the 7 RM with this ammo, I'd go with the 154 or 162 grn.

Take whatever you want.....it doesn't change the fact that the 7 RM is simply an overglorified .270

+1...the true potential isn't available to the majority of hunters who are using factory ammo.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by M1Garand
160 gr+/.600+ BC/3000+ FPS...... is what defends the 7 Mag... the numbers don’t lie. That’s rare air.... suffice the other mid-7s (WSM, Bee, Mash, Rocket Fuel loaded .280AI, etc), there’s only a handful of cartridges that can meet/exceed that trifecta..... and they all recoil WAY more.

What factory ammo gives that performance? 95% of hunter's aren't getting this "rare air". .

Hornady 7mm Rem Precision Hunter Factory ammo stat line is: 162/.631/2940.....that’s pretty f’n bad ass.... and awful tough to whoop.

Id love to see a factory .270 Win load that can hang with that....glorified or not.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What factory ammo gives that performance? 95% of hunter's aren't getting this "rare air". .

Hornady 7mm Rem Precision Hunter Factory ammo stat line is: 162/.631/2940.....that’s pretty f’n bad ass.... and awful tough to whoop.

Id love to see a factory .270 Win load that can hang with that....glorified or not.

Nosler LRAB 150g @ .591 is close with 2960 FPS off the shelf. Subtract 30 FPS for hype and barrel differences, still 2930 is right there. And, it’s happening in a flaming flyweight 270 WSM rig...Rainbows are nice to see while hunting. 😎🌈

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
.270 WSM can hang...... it’s also the 7mm Rem Mag’s Gay Cousin....

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
.270 WSM can hang...... it’s also the 7mm Rem Mag’s Gay Cousin....

DS, you crack me up! 😂

Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
180 grain ELD, .796 bc, 3020 fps from 25" 7mm Rem Mag barrel
195 VLD, .751 bc, 2890 fps from 25" 7mm Rem Mag barrel

The ELD had issues for me when hitting at over 2600 fps. The VLD not so much. The 180 Scenar has proven to be a very good killer. Its splitting hairs, but I don't see a 270 keeping up with those two loads.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by hanco
When you consider power, availability of ammunition, it’s chambered by every manufacturer, is there is a better Norh American cartridge? If loaded with 120 or 140 grain bullets, it’s great for deer. If loaded with heavy bullets it will take any other North American game, even the big bears in a pinch. I don’t think there is a better cartridge unless it’s a 300 Win Mag or 338 Win mag, but some people can’t take the recoil. I’m a big fan, I have four of them.
.................................Cannot really argue too much with the above.....EXCEPT imo, the 7mm Rem suffers from toocommon-itus. Not the cartridges fault. It is a great round. Been around almost 60 years. The majority who own 7mms, probably own a 7 Rem Mag.

The 28 Nosler.....Power? Ammo availability? Brass availability? No problem......Chambered by every rifle maker? I don't care.

Toocommon-itus? Nope. Which is why I have a 28 Nosler....

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by WAM
Jwall,

Not calling you or anyone else a liar or intentionally insulting anyone. Blown primers on any factory ammo are pretty rare indeed. I fired many rounds of Weatherby ammo before converting to handloading and have never heard of blown primers. I have been on more forums than this one and it’s the first I’ve heard of blown primers being common. I could give a chit what Roscoe or anyone else says.

Counterpoint: your original comment did not say pics have been posted on the Fire, you said we have seen pics....

Don’t worry about being so nice to me on the Fire. Keyboard commandos and cyber ninjas don’t frighten me one bit.

Just stick to the facts as you know them as opposed to other folks chatter. Don’t be like the Fake News networks....

Fact is,you don’t know much.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WAM
Jwall,

Not calling you or anyone else a liar or intentionally insulting anyone. Blown primers on any factory ammo are pretty rare indeed. I fired many rounds of Weatherby ammo before converting to handloading and[/b] have never heard of blown primers.[b] I have been on more forums than this one and it’s the first I’ve heard of blown primers being common. I could give a chit what Roscoe or anyone else says.

Counterpoint: your original comment did not say pics have been posted on the Fire, you said we have seen pics....

Don’t worry about being so nice to me on the Fire. Keyboard commandos and cyber ninjas don’t frighten me one bit.

Just stick to the facts as you know them as opposed to other folks chatter. Don’t be like the Fake News networks....

What the heyyyy...., Who Died and made you the Queen or are you a [/b]Natural Queen ?[b]

[/b]You CAN'T and don't have the Right to tell me or anyone else WHAT to do.[b]

It's one thing to be IGNORANT, it's something else to be WILLFULLY ignorant! !
I told you about the pix of UNloadable brass from factory Wby ammo.---- You denied !
Roscoe said HE had EXPERIENCED it in more than 1 cal/cartridge.... You Rejected his testimony. You are [/b]WILLFULLY IGNORANT.[b]

You obviously don't understand "context".

Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by WAM

Agreed - but I'm NOT saying all Wby factory ammo does this but we have seen pix of brass AFTER they were shot.....
too hi pressure -- NOT reloadable. Some... is 1 shot is all you get in the brass.

Jerry

Geez, where do you come up with such nonsense? I have never seen nor heard of “one shot Weatherby brass”...... LMAO

In THIS discussion ON the Campfire -- WE have seen pix -- the CONTEXT altho unspecified, is HERE.

AND after another poster saying He had experienced it..... you still [/b]refuse to accept the FACT.[b]

Try RE Reading what I said. Pix have been POSTED here on the 'fire' w/in the past couple of years.
Originally Posted by jwall

ps: just because you have not seen it does NOT mean it doesn't exist.

THEN I specified the PIX were posted here on the Campfire > > > You [/b]WILLFULLY choose to DISBELIEVE (IGNORANT)[b]

I repeat, just because You have not SEEN it Does NOT make it UNTRUE. You Willfully Reject the evidence.

And so Roscoe is RIGHT again......

Originally Posted by rosco1
Originally Posted by WAM
Jwall,

Not calling you or anyone else a liar or intentionally insulting anyone. Blown primers on any factory ammo are pretty rare indeed. I fired many rounds of Weatherby ammo before converting to handloading and have never heard of blown primers.

[/b]Fact is,you don’t know much. [b]

I will NOT waste this much time and effort on you again.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Not quite 3+K but close enough and that is a damn good factory load. The same line has a 145 load for the 270 that will hang with it. At 400 yards the drop is only 0.2" more and at 500, 0.7" more. That's pretty bad ass too.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Been a happy .30 caliber hunter for 20 years but I've just talked myself into a new 7mm Remington Mag M700 sps. I wanted a new mule deer rifle to sit between my 243 and 30-06. I was initially thinking 270 but have settled on Remington's big 7. I figure it's like a 270 but with an extra gear if I need/wanted it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Willfully ignorant.

I’m gonna use that some day. It sounds so much more polite than stupid on purpose.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
"Willfully ignorant".

I’m gonna use that some day. It sounds so much more polite than stupid on purpose.

P

grin grin

You forgot the " ", don't steal but you MAY borrow. laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Not quite 3+K but close enough and that is a damn good factory load. The same line has a 145 load for the 270 that will hang with it. At 400 yards the drop is only 0.2" more and at 500, 0.7" more. That's pretty bad ass too.

Yep.... that’s as bad ass as a .270 has ever been. But it still gives up .100 in BC, 20% in drift, and 20% in energy at 500... though it certainly has an advantage in the recoil department.

To me.... logically.... the 7 Rem Mag just makes a lot of sense. You can go to several extremes.... like a 120 TTSX at 3400++.... or a pert’near .800BC at 2850+.... and do it in most factory rigs. That covers all bases from 40’ to about 3/4 mile.... on just about anything you’d ever punch a tag for....

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Jwall and Roscow1

Please keep your word and not waste your time responding to anything I post. I’ll gladly reciprocate.

Live long and prosper with your blown primers. 🤣

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Enjoy the bliss.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Willfully ignorant.

P

Another good one would be deliberately obtuse. That one is borrowed from The Shawshank Redemption.

Page 17 of 20 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (1234, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 280ACKIMP, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,742 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,129
Posts18,502,550
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.