Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Well worth the watch.

Haidt does a great job of explaining the Libertarian mindset.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Good video. I've been telling people a long time that I was more of a libertarian than a conservative. The professor's summation pretty much reinforces that.

I would say that Trump's base is more libertarian than conservative. He's brought a lot of people out of the woodwork that are just tired of special interest groups using the power of government to mess with them and take their property.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never understood what conservatives had against libertarian ideals. I hear the open borders crap brought up all the time, but apparently no one seems to understand that those things aren't going to happen until the social programs end and coming to the US is strictly a sink-or-swim proposition.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I really want only 2 things of government.

1) Follow the Constitution as written.

2) Leave me the hell alone!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
The proble with the Libertarians is they can't get anyone elected dogcatcher. All they accomplish is to draw votes away from Conservatives. In other words, they increase the electoral percentage of Democrats, though that is not their intention.

I can't see any reason to consider them.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What I have seen is that most of the Libertarians that run for office are batshit crazy. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by stevelyn
I've never understood what conservatives had against libertarian ideals. I hear the open borders crap brought up all the time, but apparently no one seems to understand that those things aren't going to happen until the social programs end and coming to the US is strictly a sink-or-swim proposition.

Libertarian platform is Open Boarders.

That’s enough right there to put them in the anti-American column.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

My list is very similar.

1) Leave me alone

2) Don't waste my money

3) Leave me alone

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by muffin

My list is very similar.

1) Leave me alone

2) Don't waste my money

3) Leave me alone

No protect my country and secure my boarders?

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The Libertarian Party is the Brain Child of the Democrat Party, developed for the sole purpose of dividing the Right to insure Democrat victories.

In just about every election where a Democrat funded (L) appears on the ballot, the Republican candidate loses.

And the Democrat Funder (L) gets less than 10% of the vote.

Last edited by steve4102; 07/14/18.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I heard it this way:
Government has 3 functions: 1. deliver my mail 2. protect my borders 3. stay out of my life.

They do a better job with the mail than with either of the other 2 but even the mail isn't ideal.

The proble with the Libertarians is they can't get anyone elected dogcatcher. All they accomplish is to draw votes away from Conservatives. In other words, they increase the electoral percentage of Democrats, though that is not their intention.

Our system of elections is set up for 2 parties. Any 3d party or independent candidate will screw up the works and very often gives the election to the candidate least favored by the majority.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by milespatton
What I have seen is that most of the Libertarians that run for office are batshit crazy. miles

I have a severe Libertarian bent.......but I agree with you 100%!

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
The problem with the Libertarians is they can't get anyone elected dogcatcher. All they accomplish is to draw votes away from Conservatives. In other words, they increase the electoral percentage of Democrats, though that is not their intention.

Like it or not, this is the legacy of the Libertarian movement.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I’m more of a libertarian but I see that it can never work. Oh, it is superior in every way, but as this video shows, personality and genetics determine attitudes and there are just too few people who are built that way for it to work. The best we can do is probably a sort of Burkian Classical Liberalism where private property and culture is sacrosanct and ordered liberty built on those concepts is the model. That is most likely a lost cause as well. Liberty cannot survive long where females have the vote. They are not built that way for th most part. They do not value it.

Last edited by JoeBob; 07/14/18.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Most of the people who fueled Ron Paul's relative success in recent years weren't actually Libertarians. They were just people who wanted to hear someone speak truth to power.

Most of them are now part of the New-Right.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Most people, conservatives included do not want liberty. Think about it. Are you willing to give up government redistribution of wealth (social security), are you willing to give up foreign intervention? The Spanish American war, World War I & II, and all others including Korea, Vietnam, Middle East, etc. etc. did not have to involve this country. And the bad thing about these wars is that in addition to the men we lost is that they ended up in a net loss for the people and nations we set out to save. The East Europeans were saved from Nazis and turned over to Russia. East Asia was saved from Japan and turned over in a large part to Red China. We have never paid for these adventures or the interest on the money. The list of things to give up could go on and on. How about farm subsidies. All of us that are rural people know families that have drawn millions in farm subsidies. Without all this government interference there would be a lot of freedom and a lot less suffering except that each family and community would have to take care of their own elderly and afflicted.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Any good salesman can tell you why libertarianism will not work. Every good salesman soon learns that one must tailor the sales pitch to the individual. What works on one will not work on the other. Some people respond to one thing and some to others. Of course, the salesman cannot really tailor the product to these people in most cases, the product is what it is. But he tailors his sales pitch to get different people to react to it. But when the product is the sales pitch itself? Some will respond and some won’t.

The more we learn about people the more we realize that in many ways, free will is an illusion. We are captive to our genetics. And we cannot control how we respond to arguments or ideals. An argument based on perfectly sound reasoning for one type of person is madness to another.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by muffin

My list is very similar.

No protect my country and secure my boarders?

Article IV, Section 4 of the U.S. Constitution

"The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened) against domestic Violence."

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I’m more of a libertarian but I see that it can never work. Oh, it is superior in every way, but as this video shows, personality and genetics determine attitudes and there are just too few people who are built that way for it to work. The best we can do is probably a sort of Burkian Classical Liberalism where private property and culture is sacrosanct and ordered liberty built on those concepts is the model. That is most likely a lost cause as well. Liberty cannot survive long where females have the vote. They are not built that way for th most part. They do not value it.

Most people in the world aren't IMO.

The major problem with several of the political systems is that they ignore or mostly fail to take into account human nature.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by dodgefan
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Most people in the world aren't IMO.

The major problem with several of the political systems is that they ignore or mostly fail to take into account human nature.

You know one way to ameliorate the negative effects of human nature and insure the survival of beneficial political systems? Common ethnicity and common culture. There are no universal rights of man ordained by God or nature. Natural rights are a sham. There are beliefs and cultural touchstones that create rights of long standing by common understanding and convention. These rights do not develop equally or even similarly in every culture and they are not universal.

American style civic nationalism based on the idea of the so-called melting pot is doomed to fail. Even moreso and more quickly when not only is there no dominant culture but the vestiges of that once dominant culture are ridiculed and despised.

Sub-Saharan Africa here we come.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 18,584 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,849
Posts18,537,409
Members74,050
Most Online20,407
6 minutes ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.