Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
about straight cartridges vs straightened cartridges. When reloading rifle cartridges, I try to get the most concentricity I can with what I have in the way of equipment. When re-sizing, I make sure my die is squared up with the shell holder. I remove the decapper/expander stem from the die then replace it loosely after re-sizing and expand the neck on a downstroke so as to not disturb the neck alignment. I measure neck thickness on each piece of brass for uniformity. When seating the bullet, I am careful to keep it as straight as possible. My goal is to keep concentricity within .002 or less on each cartridge, yet on about one out of four that I run thru my concentricity gauge exceeds that amount up to .006/.008. I use the Tru-tool or the Hornady gauge itself to straighten those that are out of spec. My question is this: Do straightened cartridges shoot as accurately as those that need no straightening? Should I cull out the “straightened” cartridges for plinking use? My shooting ability (or that of the rifle) can’t discern a concistent answer. Sometimes “yes” and sometimes “no”. What say you?

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My question is this: Do straightened cartridges shoot as accurately as those that need no straightening? My shooting ability (or that of the rifle) can’t discern a concistent answer. What say you?

You just answered your own question.....further.....you didn't ask.....unless you have a benchrest quality rifle, the entire process you mentioned is a waste of time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you concentricity is down to .0006"/.0008" you wont be able to measure any additional accuracy by correcting the rounds let alone between corrected and uncorrected. Is there any chance you meant .006"/.008"?

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Youper
If you concentricity is down to .0006"/.0008" you wont be able to measure any additional accuracy by correcting the rounds let alone between corrected and uncorrected. Is there any chance you meant .006"/.008"?

My bad! Yes, I meant .006/.008. I’ll fix the post.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by vapodog
My question is this: Do straightened cartridges shoot as accurately as those that need no straightening? My shooting ability (or that of the rifle) can’t discern a concistent answer. What say you?

You just answered your own question.....further.....you didn't ask.....unless you have a benchrest quality rifle, the entire process you mentioned is a waste of time.

I disagree. I load for several different sporters that very well show the difference between .008" and .002" runout cartridges.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, even with full-length sized handloads, or factory ammo, with an accurate sporter there's normally a big difference in accuracy between .002" and .008" runout, and often even between .002" and .005".

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You'll see more improvement in your groups getting runout down from .008" to .002" than you will doing things like weighing charges to the nearest tenth of a gnat's ass.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by mathman
You'll see more improvement in your groups getting runout down from .008" to .002" than you will doing things like weighing charges to the nearest tenth of a gnat's ass.

Yup.

FWIW, I'm a innanet nobody, kind of a hunter, not a shooter, and definitely not a gun writer. Still, even I can see a difference in groups with .003 runout and above. Also, in my experience, naturally straight, vs. straightened with a Tru-Angle tool, makes no difference.

The F-class guys might have different answers, but those are mine.

Good Luck,

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

Yup.

FWIW, I'm a innanet nobody, kind of a hunter, not a shooter, and definitely not a gun writer. Still, even I can see a difference in groups with .003 runout and above. Also, in my experience, naturally straight, vs. straightened with a Tru-Angle tool, makes no difference.

The F-class guys might have different answers, but those are mine.

Good Luck,

FC

In my experience that depends on how much straightening had to be done.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by lastround
about straight cartridges vs straightened cartridges. When reloading rifle cartridges, I try to get the most concentricity I can with what I have in the way of equipment. When re-sizing, I make sure my die is squared up with the shell holder. I remove the decamper/expander stem from the die then replace it loosely after re-sizing and expand the neck on a downstroke so as to not disturb the neck alignment. I measure neck thickness on each piece of brass for uniformity. When seating the bullet, I am careful to keep it as straight as possible. My goal is to keep concentricity within .0002 or less on each cartridge, yet on about one out of four that I run thru my concentricity gauge exceeds that amount up to .006/.008. I use the Tru-tool or the Hornady gauge itself to straighten those that are out of spec. My question is this: Do straightened cartridges shoot as accurately as those that need no straightening? Should I cull out the “straightened” cartridges for plinking use? My shooting ability (or that of the rifle) can’t discern a concistent answer. Sometimes “yes” and sometimes “no”. What say you?

I think what you need to do is examine how you are setting up your die. I am confused, or perhaps fail to understand why 1 out of every 4 seems to be excessive. If the die is set up correctly, and everything is tight, then all the cartridges should be fine, unless you have a bad die. But heck, even If the die was the problem, then run out would be excessive for most if not all of them. Don't mess with the decapper. Install it tightly, the way the manufacturer describes. Wobbly parts introduce inconsistencies.

I would start from scratch and set up the die according to the manufacturer's recommendation. Don't overthink the method.

The last thing, "My shooting ability (or that of the rifle) can’t discern a concistent answer." suggests to me that you must start back at the beginning. Please don't take this the wrong way, but you are trying to do too much. Don't attempt to load cartridges using any method other than what is in the manufacturer's instructions. The KISS principle is the way to go here. Ignore anything that you've read WRT die set up and stick with the basics.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

I disagree. I load for several different sporters that very well show the difference between .008" and .002" runout cartridges.
If his ability can't discern a difference it's still a waste of time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart

precisely.....

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

And the quickest and easiest way to accomplish this is to use quality dies. Perhaps not the cheapest, but still the best. Since I've started using Forster dies I can almost throw away my concentrically gauge.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My question is this: Do straightened cartridges shoot as accurately as those that need no straightening? Should I cull out the “straightened” cartridges for plinking use? My shooting ability (or that of the rifle) can’t discern a concistent answer. Sometimes “yes” and sometimes “no”. What say you?

I shoot 600/1000 yard Benchrest, and I check/straighten every round, down to a half a thou or less runout. All are "record" rounds.

Last match I won both Light Gun and Heavy Gun group aggs.........

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I definitely can tell the difference in groups fired with cartridges that have run-out that varies by .002/.008. My question was “do straightened rounds shoot on a par with rounds that are concentric to begin with”.

FC,
Your’s is the answer I was looking for and hope is true since it seems that I have to straighten several out of a box of fifty. Thanks.

Mule Deer,
It is your fault (along with Mathman) that I question such things as run-out. I read your books! For years I just took whatever came out of the bullet seating die and wondered about those fliers......

Steve,
To clarify, I don’t remove primers with the sizing die but instead use a universal decapper for that purpose. The reason I leave the expander stem loose is that I re-size without it in the die, then in an added step I re-install the stem and expand the necks on the upstroke of the case. I leave it loose thinking it will self-center as it goes into the case.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by aalf
My question is this: Do straightened cartridges shoot as accurately as those that need no straightening? Should I cull out the “straightened” cartridges for plinking use? My shooting ability (or that of the rifle) can’t discern a concistent answer. Sometimes “yes” and sometimes “no”. What say you?

I shoot 600/1000 yard Benchrest, and I check/straighten every round, down to a half a thou or less runout. All are "record" rounds.

Thanks aalf,
That pretty much answers my question.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I’ve seen Doug shoot. He doesn’t lack ability...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
the quickest and easiest way to accomplish this is to use quality dies. Perhaps not the cheapest, but still the best. Since I've started using Forster dies I can almost throw away my concentrically gauge.

Since I haven’t shot for competition since 1985, I don’t often worry much about deer loads because I like to get close. But coyote and PD shooting...

Forester as good as other dies in the +$100 range?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

I’ve seen Doug shoot. He doesn’t lack ability...

Thanks Marty,
I think Blackheart misunderstood my original post, or at least my question. I referred to not being able to tell the difference between groups shot with “straightened” ammunition compared to ammunition that comes out of the seating die “straight”. I never said that I couldn’t tell the difference between ammo with a run-out variation between .002 and .008.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by aalf

Thanks aalf, that pretty much answers my question.

6 Dasher, BTW.........

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,645 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,721
Posts18,475,781
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.