Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lastround
No offense meant, but it is amazing how many answers I got to a question I did not ask and solutions to problems I do not have.

That's what we're here for. laugh

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
No offense meant, but it is amazing how many answers I got to a question I did not ask and solutions to problems I do not have. But thanks to all who answered my post. And I am waiting for a new Forster sizing die. Have a good evening...........

By Campfire standards this thread stayed on subject. Not once were you told you need a new rifle, in a new caliber, or told you were gay or a homophobic for asking a straight question.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
No offense meant, but it is amazing how many answers I got to a question I did not ask and solutions to problems I do not have. But thanks to all who answered my post. And I am waiting for a new Forster sizing die. Have a good evening...........

By Campfire standards this thread stayed on subject. Not once were you told you need a new rifle, in a new caliber, or told you were gay or a homophobic for asking a straight question.

Spot on. All things considered we were on our best behavior. It can be a lot different. You omitted rebedding and a new scope.

Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 16bore
[Linked Image]

Somebody will be along soon to tell you your test is invalid because you didn't use 100 shot groups, when they will have performed no such testing at all.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by 16bore
[Linked Image]

Somebody will be along soon to tell you your test is invalid because you didn't use 100 shot groups, when they will have performed no such testing at all.

I gave up on all that crap. I could never figure out why/how I could load a batch of ammo that went from 0 to >.008 on the same set up. It's Remington's problem now....or Hornady....or Federal...or whatever is on sale.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm of a similar mind. I'm grateful for all the effort others have gone to to show the benefit of reducing runout. It has helped me make better ammo, but I'm not about to start 100% checking or culling for runout. Nearly all of my shooting is at 200 yd. or less. That beyond 200 is at paper and steel. My time is better spent reducing much greater errors from my shooting than correcting what 16bore has shown.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I still enjoy "all that crap." I've got my equipment and set up worked out so if the assembled cartridge runout is over .003" it's a lock that the particular piece of brass has so-so neck walls.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Youper
I'm of a similar mind. I'm grateful for all the effort others have gone to to show the benefit of reducing runout. It has helped me make better ammo, but I'm not about to start 100% checking or culling for runout. Nearly all of my shooting is at 200 yd. or less. That beyond 200 is at paper and steel. My time is better spent reducing much greater errors from my shooting than correcting what 16bore has shown.

I need to reduce the "runout" in my offhand shooting. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
I still enjoy "all that crap." I've got my equipment and set up worked out so if the assembled cartridge runout is over .003" it's a lock that the particular piece of brass has so-so neck walls.

Not poo pooing it really...just went sorta minimalist with my stuff. You certainly shoot more as a handloader and learn your way around a bullet. Two weeks of deer season, maybe some odd trips here and there, and pinging steel is about all I do anymore. And clays. Hell, I put a 22LR top end on my 1911 and forgot what 45 ACP feels like. Ha!

Reckon I'll change my handle to "16 Bored"......especially now that I'm schlepping a 270 and factory fodder.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not my area but a question for the precision shooters. If the dies are set up properly and you are still seeing excessive run out doesn't that indicate a case problem? Correct me if I am wrong but even if you turn the necks won't inconsistent case wall thickness in the body of the case add run out on each firing? I know the dies will align the neck but won't if be a recurring problem?

Agree straightened cases will shoot with ones that started with low run out but isn't it better to cull the out of line cases?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Really bad case bodies do cause trouble as well.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Tejano

Agree straightened cases will shoot with ones that started with low run out but isn't it better to cull the out of line cases?

IME it depends on how much straightening it took.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes, you just have those days where nothing goes right.....223AI, Lapua brass, Reddings. Ray Charles called and said I had some runout issues. Don't know what he was talking about.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Do you have a pic of the bottom ends of those same two rounds?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That ship sailed a long, long time ago....

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I asked because I've dealt with a couple of "fat bottomed" chambers and runout. If there's a noticeable expansion ring just forward of the web area you're almost always going to see runout in assembled cartridges unless the body section of the die is tight near the bottom and goes well down to the extractor groove of the case.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Inane attempt at humor.

Last edited by Tejano; 07/18/18.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Please fix that. crazy

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
More inanity.

Last edited by Tejano; 07/18/18.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

711 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 3,262 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,744
Posts18,476,112
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.