Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 19 20
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have a 7MM RM and use it sparingly. It is set up like a target rifle and does weigh 9.5 pounds. Last time I used it I took an elk east of LaBarge Wyoming using 175 gr Hornady spire points. Recoil is not much at that weight and the good trigger and scope make this a fine long range rifle. Trouble is for all my other hunting a 300 Savage could do it all.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've dragged my Tikka 695 7mm Rem Magnificent across several states, Mexico, and Africa. The140-160 AB and Partition simply crush game.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
7 mag is way more than I want for deer. Too long of barrel, too much powder burned, too much of everything. The old .30-30 is perfection for the woods hunting I do and that is said after having used everything from a .222 to a .30-06 and many in between. For hunting deer in more open country I like a .243 just fine but feel the new 6.5 Creedmoor is absolute ballistic perfection for that use and it may take over as my new favorite.

+1

For deer-sized game, I agree with the above. But I still love my 7 Mags for certain applications and critters larger than deer.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My 7 Wby is my favorite magnum.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Properly handloaded (pressures equivalent to modern cartridges), with bullets designed for the task at hand.....the 7 mm Rem. has little to nothing on the 30-06 Springfield! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by hanco
When you consider power, availability of ammunition, it’s chambered by every manufacturer, is there is a better Norh American cartridge? If loaded with 120 or 140 grain bullets, it’s great for deer. If loaded with heavy bullets it will take any other North American game, even the big bears in a pinch. I don’t think there is a better cartridge unless it’s a 300 Win Mag or 338 Win mag, but some people can’t take the recoil. I’m a big fan, I have four of them.

Yeah, a 7mm08...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
For pure sweetness, give me a 7-08

Me too:

[Linked Image]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mike74
Originally Posted by Blackheart
7 mag is way more than I want for deer. Too long of barrel, too much powder burned, too much of everything. The old .30-30 is perfection for the woods hunting I do and that is said after having used everything from a .222 to a .30-06 and many in between. For hunting deer in more open country I like a .243 just fine but feel the new 6.5 Creedmoor is absolute ballistic perfection for that use and it may take over as my new favorite. Time will tell but somebody else can have my share of 7mm magnums.

Somebody else does have my share of the 7mm magnums. I sent two of them down the road.

I also sent 2 perfectly good 7mm rem mag's down the road. Just couldn't warm up to them.

BSA MAGA
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If it’s got 4 hooves and bound for the freezer, a 7mm Magnum is all that and a bag of chips. If I make it to full geezer status, I’ll downsize to 7x57 Mauser! Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Never shot a 7mm Mag, or owned one.

The safe is full.

Send prayers.

OTOH, I'm OK with pipsqueakers for most purposes. If horsepower in necessary I have that covered. In spades ^4.

Never could warm up to 7's....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a problem with the 7 mag. That darned belt. I have barrels for a savage including 25-06, 270 win, 7 mag, 30-06. I have used 7 mag on deer and it certainly does the job. However, for deer here in PA a 25-06 or 270 is certainly good enough in terms of range accuracy, and power. But when I set up for the 7 mag I have to fiddle with the die to get the head space set up of the shoulder instead of the belt. That is my $0.02.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I resisted the 7mm mag for many years, believing that I was getting all that I needed from the 280 AI. This was, of course, true for deer but when I started hunting elk more often the 7mm’s ability to push the 175s became a clear advantage. To me, the 7mm mag is right at the recoil threshold that allows me to still shoot with precision. I don’t love the belt but I handload to headspace off the shoulder so it’s just an annoyance. I use 162 SSTs for deer/antelope (and 1 Colorado bull in a pinch) but prefer the 175 Partition for everything else. I’ve yet to feel undergunned with this combo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't owned a magnum now in five years but I was actually going to buy a .300 Win mag on Friday. LGS had a Mossberg Patriot for $299. Then I picked it up and noticed the 22" barrel. I don't see the sense in a 300 mag "carbine".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
I'll take the .444 or the .45-70. I can mostly hunt anything anywhere for similar recoil.

Mike, I've never shot a 7 Mag that recoiled like a .444. It'd take me a while to count up the different 7s I've had plus those I've shot of others.

As to weight ? ? that's a whole diff story. I remember holding/carrying/ and shooting a Marlin 444, don't remember now who owned it.
Heavy is an understatement.

Sometime before '94 I went to a LGS with the intent to get a Rem 700 S S Laminate (grey/black) stock in 7 Mag. When I picked it up, immediately I was SO disappointed. The gun alone was WAY TOO heavy.

At present I have a Tikka T 3X Lite SS in 7 R Mag. With identical scopes it weighs 3 OUNCES more than my Tikka T 3 Lite SS 270 Win.

Jerry

I don't think I've ever held a 444 that was over 8 pounds?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't owned a magnum now in five years but I was actually going to buy a .300 Win mag on Friday. LGS had a Mossberg Patriot for $299. Then I picked it up and noticed the 22" barrel. I don't see the sense in a 300 mag "carbine".

CDNN has Ruger Hawkeye .300 RCMs for sale really cheap. These are very nice blue & walnut rifles. That round was designed to perform in the shorter barrel, though it's probably pretty loud doing it.

IF I had a use for such a beast, I'd go for it. Hornady supports their offspring pretty well, unlike some others, so I wouldn't sweat the availability of ammo and brass.

I've owned three Hawkeyes so far; still have two that have made the keeper list, and I regret the one I let get away. Never a single issue with any of them. They are solid.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Two weeks ago I had to make a final decision between a 7mm RM and a 280ai in a Cooper M92 Backcountry at 5 pounds 12 ounces.

I chose the 280ai and I think I made the right choice. Time will tell with elk and mule deer hunts on the agenda.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by donsm70
Two weeks ago I had to make a final decision between a 7mm RM and a 280ai in a Cooper M92 Backcountry at 5 pounds 12 ounces.

I chose the 280ai and I think I made the right choice. Time will tell with elk and mule deer hunts on the agenda.

donsm70

I agree. As much as I love my 7 Wby, my 280 AI is 2.25 lbs lighter. With 140’s a 3200, there’s not much it won’t do.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by hanco
When you consider power, availability of ammunition, it’s chambered by every manufacturer, is there is a better Norh American cartridge? If loaded with 120 or 140 grain bullets, it’s great for deer. If loaded with heavy bullets it will take any other North American game, even the big bears in a pinch. I don’t think there is a better cartridge unless it’s a 300 Win Mag or 338 Win mag, but some people can’t take the recoil. I’m a big fan, I have four of them.

Yeah, a 7mm08...

I think ol Bobby would’ve fainted....

I’m a solid 7mm Rem Mag/WSM and Mashburn Super fan. Besides the 338, it’s my favorite caliber and as a whole there isn’t anything I wouldn’t tackle with a good one of any of them.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The 7mm and 30 caliber magnum rounds can push the same bullets faster than the 30-06 case.....that is undeniable. Whether that difference has ever changed the outcome of a hunt is likely a matter of faith. I've got a good friend who believes it (the 7RM) kills deer better but I can't see it.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like the 7mag.It's a great,hard hitting,flat shooting round.There are many bullets available for the 7mm and that makes it a very versatile round.Recoil is not bad.If you can handle a hotly loaded 270 or a 30-06,you should have no problem with the 7mag.I never felt over gunned or under gunned hunting with the 7mag.I found it to be a very good all around hunting cartridge in the 7mm class.When I've compared it to the 300 magnums,they can definitely walk away from it in every bullet weight class.The one 30 cal cartridge that comes really close in bullet weight velocity per caliber is the 30-06.The 7mag has a slight edge in velocity and bullet B.C. for the same weight and like bullet,but not really that much.When it comes to shooting game,the larger dia. bullet,though it may be traveling just a little slower,may be equal or greater in energy than the smaller,faster dia. bullet.All those factors depends how hot each cartridge is loaded,but in moderate shooting ranges,I'm very happy and confident hunting with either one.So comparing the 7mag to the 30-06 really is a compliment in the world of hunting cartridges.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Page 3 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (35, BamBam, 10gaugemag, AnthonyB, bbassi, BALLISTIK, 8 invisible), 1,280 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,234
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.