Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 20 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 19 20
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mathman
Interesting. I've poured the coal to a couple of 7mm Wby. mags and 3300 was tippy top end.

m m - have you given the R M and Wby 7 mags CASES a close look ? They are pretty similar except for neck length.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 07/16/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by EZEARL
That load Pete posted is also[/b] found in the Hornady Handbook Vol II listed as max.[b] Almost positive Hornady used SAAMI minimum spec bbls to develop loads. Rifle listed is a M700 24"bbl.

I used that data back in the mid 80's to develop a load for a friend's 26"bbl Browning (Golden Medallion?). 69.3gr H4831,CCI250,R-P casings,140gr B-Tip gave 3325fps.

YEP !!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jwall
Interesting. I've poured the coal to a couple of 7mm Wby. mags and 3300 was tippy top end.

m m - have you given the R M and Wby 7 mags CASES a close look ? They are pretty similar except for neck length.

Jerry

I know that quite well. That's why I contrasted tippy top in one with easy in the other. On top of that the longer Weatherby throating allows for a bit more juice.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Jerry

I know that quite well. That's why I contrasted tippy top in one with easy in the other. On top of that the longer Weatherby throating allows for a bit more juice.

And the Wby has a higher pressure ceiling than the 7RM.

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Jerry

DF

During my magnum phase you can bet I was up against it too. (Or maybe a little past it. grin)

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Hey Pharm

I promise that Tikka 7 R M doesn't kick that hard EVEN off a bench.

I've been shooting/hunting the 270 since 2003 with no problems.

I really wish that some of us lived close enuff together that we could shoot each others rifles.

Jerry

I have two T3s in 7mm Rem Mag, they both sport Limbsavers.

Shot one just last week in the 98 degree heat.

[Linked Image]

Four shots into .527”, not bad. 3100 FPS mv.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Reloder28
As much as I love my 7 Wby, my 280 AI is 2.25 lbs lighter. With 140’s a 3200, there’s not much it won’t do.

28 - How much does your Wby weigh ?

How much does your 280AI weigh ?

This Tikka T 3X Lite SS 7 RM with 4-12X40 weighs 7 lbs 09 oz. (1 oz over 1/2 lb.)

[Linked Image]

I don't own and Will NOT own a 9 or 10 lb rifle, because I don't have to tote that much weight unnecessarily.
My T 3 Lite SS 270 with 4-12X40 weighs 7 lbs 6 oz.
My point is that you don't have to have a 7 Mag that is heavy.

I haven't done that much load development YET. So far I have 139 HBTSP going 3215 with one powder. There are other powders I haven't tried yet, that will beat that.

Jerry

This is a copy of my SILs 7mmRM but his scope is a Redfield 4x12. He likes it for when they drop down into this big bowl at the bottom of a pass, that's where the bulls are on Opening Day AM. You get "one AM hunt" before they all light out for the Wilderness Area about a mile away! ...I have "peered over into that bowl"...but don't hunt it...ain't no way I want a bull that bad! And they have to pack them out in pieces...at my bolted together 65yrs, I find I'm more of a "late season cow elk hunt" kinda guy, ha. He used the HSM 168 Berger ammo in his Tikka, very accurate.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 07/16/18.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Jerry

DF

During my magnum phase you can bet I was up against it too. (Or maybe a little past it. grin)

laugh

Yep, there's SAAMI pressure and then there's "Fire" pressure... blush

Pressure variations noted while testing the 7RM resulted in a lower SAAMI limit, evidently not the case with the 7 Wby.

But, in the hands of an ambitious hand loader, not an issue... cool

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned several 7mm Rem Mags and all shot sub MOA. Back in the 90's I used 140gr ballistic tips and more recentlyTSX with very good results. I have always found the caliber to be very tolerable in the recoil department. With that being said, I have used a 7X57 the last couple of years. In my opinion, the 7mm bore is about perfect for deer.

CK
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

laugh

Pressure variations noted while testing the 7RM resulted in a lower SAAMI limit, evidently not the case with the 7 Wby.

DF

Over time I've mellowed in my approach. Lately I rarely even load my 308's full throttle.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
The 7 Mag has a stat line that’s very hard to duplicate by cartridges of both larger and smaller caliber.....

160+ grain bullet, with a .600+ BC, at 3000+ FPS.....

Nothing smaller can do it.....

and, it takes a big f’n .30 to get there (RUMish).... then there’s a substantial increase in recoil.

This^^^^^^^^

But the 7mag isn't new and cool....... wink

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

laugh

DF

Over time I've mellowed in my approach. Lately I rarely even load my 308's full throttle.

You hold a genuine "Fire" license to load'em to the hilt... grin

Don't leave anything on the table, go for the gusto... wink

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I have about 1100 rounds though my 7mm RM.. With 140's at 3400fps, it is all I want in a nice flat shooting rifle..

3400?

My 700 BDL and those of hunter friends EASILY got 3300 fps and LONG case life.

I arbitrarily 'chose' 3300 fps as my stopping place----- using H B T S Ps.
Jerry

Seriously I've been shooting 139s at 3300 for many years -> -> -> with LONG case life.

IMO - with many firings above 5Xs and good cases -> -> you're NOT too hot pressure wise and that with several rifles.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
7RM case capacity is pretty close to the 7 Wby.

So, if you run equal pressures, performance should be very similar.

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
7RM case capacity is pretty close to the 7 Wby.

So, if you run equal pressures, performance should be very similar.

DF

True, but the "effective capacity" of the Wby is a bit greater due to the effect of the freebore slowing the initial pressure rise. So with the same powder (say IMR7828 which is good in both), you'll burn more powder in the Wby to get the same peak pressure but you'll net more gas at that same pressure and so more work (manifesting in velocity) can be done.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It's amazing what you can do with 65-70K psi...

DF

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my daughter was raised in the country, bloodline Norweigan/Swede/German and at about 110 lbs. soak and wet was a cheerleader and a very pretty blonde sweety and now a doctor and she like`s using the 7 rem. mag. she said she never felt the kick or recoil when she shot deer but sure liked how the 7 Rem.mag knocked them down ! so boys if that little lady can handle a 7 Rem.mag. at full load what`s your excuse ? I also have a sniper friend who seen plenty real live action in many countries besides his Whitehouse duties,his favorite cartridge that he hunts big game a lot with is a 7 Rem. mag. and his gun also shoots 140 grain bullet 3400 fps with his handloads ,my sniper friend the only scope he likes is a Schmidt and Bender,he`s plenty fussy.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I want to shoot 140 grain bullets, I'll use my 6.5x47 lapua. I use a SWFA scope though so I am not fussy.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by pete53
my daughter was raised in the country, bloodline Norweigan/Swede/German and at about 110 lbs. soak and wet was a cheerleader and a very pretty blonde sweety and now a doctor and she like`s using the 7 rem. mag. she said she never felt the kick or recoil when she shot deer but sure liked how the 7 Rem.mag knocked them down ! so boys if that little lady can handle a 7 Rem.mag. at full load what`s your excuse ? I also have a sniper friend who seen plenty real live action in many countries besides his Whitehouse duties,his favorite cartridge that he hunts big game a lot with is a 7 Rem. mag. and his gun also shoots 140 grain bullet 3400 fps with his handloads ,my sniper friend the only scope he likes is a Schmidt and Bender,he`s plenty fussy.

How about on the 101'st round of a Saturday afternoon's fun shooting?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I could handle 101 shoots no problem even my son could, but can you Mathman ? And no Mathman we use are magnum rifles mostly to kill stuff with ,my family butcher`s,freeze`s and eat what we shoot for big game. Paper holes not that big of a deal anymore, besides this time of year its archery and trap/clay pigeons for me and my family. But next winter your free to join our winter money rifle shoots on Sundays and see how well you can do,we have had National 1000 yard bench champion join us before,yes his score was better than mine but mine was close. So let me know if you need dates ,times and directions to these winter money shoots any cartridge rifle is legal ,we shoot 100 to 500yards.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 7 of 20 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 320090T, 257 roberts, 6mmCreedmoor, 3dtestify, 17 invisible), 1,134 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,093
Posts18,522,153
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.