-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess they edited out the gun shots, right? I would have shot every one of those bastards!

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The "Big rattler at the end of the hoe handle" pics are nothing but "forced perspective" camera shots...making a 4'-5' rattler look like he's 11 feet long. Same as when we hold the 120 class buck with outstretched hands to make him look 140, or that 5# bass look 7#.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gents, I give you a large diamondback from down here in the swamps.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

[Linked Image]

How long was the stick he was holdin it up with?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not long enough!

Black Cows Matter!
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DW7
Originally Posted by Ringman
None of those photos are the one described by sharpsguy. That is the photo I remember. A bunch of guys standing shoulder to shoulder holding up the snake. Their elbows were bent; not holding the snake out to make it look bigger than life the way the photos in the above post.

Its imbedded in this link ringman, sharpsguy, 65Br, jaguartx. Scroll down a ways.

http://www.livingalongsidewildlife.com/2009/07/return-of-giant-killed-rattlesnake.html?m=1

Dat snake is no closer to 11 feet long than I am 11 feet tall....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'll run this one past you gents again, everybody has stories, I got pics. We got this one shortly after high school graduation. Eastern Diamondback, 7'3" and 19 inch girth...my pard here is six feet tall....

[Linked Image]

This snake had been eating rabbits...had three in him and you couldn't tell till you( in this case me...) skinned him...

In that same period we got a 6' 5" Canebrake and a 6' 8" Canebrake

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

[Linked Image]

I believe that is a Silverback...w/ a large snake.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by DW7
None of those photos are the one described by sharpsguy. That is the photo I remember. A bunch of guys standing shoulder to shoulder holding up the snake. Their elbows were bent; not holding the snake out to make it look bigger than life the way the photos in the above post.

Its imbedded in this link ringman, sharpsguy, 65Br, jaguartx. Scroll down a ways.

http://www.livingalongsidewildlife.com/2009/07/return-of-giant-killed-rattlesnake.html?m=1

Agree, why I like the link, it's full of facts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll run this one past you gents again, everybody has stories, I got pics. We got this one shortly after high school graduation. Eastern Diamondback, 7'3" and 19 inch girth...my pard here is six feet tall....

[Linked Image]

This snake had been eating rabbits...had three in him and you couldn't tell till you( in this case me...) skinned him...

That's a scary big rattler!

There used to be a faded canebrake/velvet tail rattler hide in a Pawnshop gun store in Mt. Pleasant Texas that was well over 6' and may have been thicker than that Diamond back.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

[Linked Image]

Nothing but forced perspective by the cameraman. Five footer at best. Old camera trick strikes again.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 1911a1

[Linked Image]

That's a scary big rattler!

There used to be a faded canebrake/velvet tail rattler hide in a Pawnshop gun store in Mt. Pleasant Texas that was well over 6' and may have been thicker than that Diamond back.

Thats a cool pic.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by DW7
Originally Posted by DW7

Agree, why I like the link, it's full of facts.

Its full of facts except for two. Re the big snake held by the man in the truck: why does the author say the guy has it out on a pole. I dont see a pole. Why does he say the guy is holding it up in the air and the tail isnt touching the ground?
Looks to me like the tail is laying on the ground.
Thanks for that link as i had seen that pic much bigger years ago and lost the pic. In the much expanded version it was easy to see the tail was on the ground. Im glad to have that pic again.

PS. I figure the guy is about 5' 8". His upper hand is holding the neck and the head is hanging down in front of the man. That head is about 4 in long and its covered neck is about 5 in. That would put the nose of the snake at least at the top of the mans head.

His lower arm is pushing the bodyslightly toward us but the snake is hanging down pretty close to the truck bumper. Those tow buckles are about 3/4 inch thick. Its coon tail is at least twice that thick. I figure 4 ft of snake below the truck bed and at least 5.5 if not more above which would make it at least 9 ft.

Last edited by jaguartx; 07/19/18.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (akrange, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 7 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,909
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.