-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 20 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 19 20
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Big fan of the 7 Rem Mag and have been around plenty of game that's been shot with it, but it seems as though most of the folks I hang around are drifting to the 6.5's rather quickly. Maybe we're not tough enough for it, though.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They'll come back to the 7-mm Remington Mag.
It's a great round. And, so are a lot of others.

I have one 7-mm Mag. Getting ready to build another. I'll prolly give it to my son when it's done.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Here is a little history of this great cartridge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8S3wXF9XDs

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by starsky
Big fan of the 7 Rem Mag and have been around plenty of game that's been shot with it, but it seems as though most of the folks I hang around are drifting to the 6.5's rather quickly. Maybe we're not tough enough for it, though.

I O W - too many are pansified ! YEP

....................................................... my ideas and feelings are not PC so unposted.! !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Jerry,

Who started that rumor about you not being P.C...??

laugh

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/17/18.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
D F

I really don't know but a 'few' folk come to mind. grin

I'm just trying to be careful, ya know. cool

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by jwall

....................................................... my ideas and feelings are not PC so unposted.! !

Jerry

The current term for those uncomfortable with 7 RM levels of recoil would be "dainty handed fancy folk". Please try to be more sensitive in the future grin

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Okay.... but I think you are being too KIND. whistle

To those of you dealing with Age, Injuries, & other Health issues are NOT considered in my descriptions. I really am sorry for any liabilities that prevent folks from hunting/shooting what they want. frown

Whiners, Criers, Wimps, Wusses are the most P C nice descriptions I can think of off hand. Others come to mind quickly tho. smirk

This T 3 X Lite SS 7 Mag is my newest acquisition, 2/2018 so I am anxiously looking forward to hunting it this Fall.
I know I'll start the season with it and MAY hunt the whole season with it. I have a couple of other rifle/cartridge combos that I haven't killed many deer with SO I'll cross that bridge during season. My Win 70 Black Shadow 300 WM may very well get out this yr. wink

[Linked Image]

The last year I hunted any 7 Mag was 2014. During the season I drug this (Left) 700 Syn 7 RM out just because I wanted to.
I took the scope off of it and put it on the Tikka.

[Linked Image]

The first morning I hunted the Syn, this Old 'cull' came out and I felt obliged to remove him from the herd. (fraudeen slip - grin)
He is laying on a hillside and I moved him around for the pic,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yeah, I know, I killed him TOO DEAD ! shocked smirk

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 07/17/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The 7mm Rem magnum is a historically great round and the first of the magnums I played with during my magnum mania days. I eventually settled on the 160 grain partitions and a max load of about 58 grains of IMR 4350 if my memory serves. That combo shot well in both rifles I had at the time.

Eventually I moved on from the 7 mag and spent years playing with both the 280 Rem and 7mm-08.

These days if I were to go back to hunting with any of these rounds I would surely pick the 7mm-08. But with my featherweight 6.5 x 55 Swede in my hand I don't feel the need to do that.

All good stuff.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by hanco
When you consider power, availability of ammunition, it’s chambered by every manufacturer, is there is a better Norh American cartridge? If loaded with 120 or 140 grain bullets, it’s great for deer. If loaded with heavy bullets it will take any other North American game, even the big bears in a pinch. I don’t think there is a better cartridge unless it’s a 300 Win Mag or 338 Win mag, but some people can’t take the recoil. I’m a big fan, I have four of them.

I'll go with the (tried, true and universal) 30-06. It'll do anything the 7mm Magnum will - and then some (with heavier bullets).

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

[Linked Image]

Yeah, I know, I killed him TOO DEAD ! shocked smirk

Jerry

Nice old deer. He did need to be removed from the breeding pool.

Still an interesting deer.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/17/18.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thnx D F.

I've killed multiple deer (Doe & Bucks) every year on the 70 acres I'm hunting. Every buck I've shot was the FIRST time I saw it (them).
I can't tell the Does apart <grin>.
The property is surrounded on 3 sides by other owners. The deer come and go at will.

Last year I shot this guy while he was trailing 1 of 2 Does. He was 20 or so yards behind them with his nose on the ground.

[Linked Image]

I didn't know his left antler was broken till I killed him. My 98 in 284 did him in. I wish he hadn't been broken but he makes an interesting buck as well. He was a fighter.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Some years ago, I killed a nice young buck with one antler. We cull hard and if we don’t want’em breeding, we eat’em.

This buck had broken his antler, wasn’t a genetic cull. I felt sorta bad, but ground checking them tells the story.

I’d rather cull first, ask questions later.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Neither was the buck in the last pic. I was on my sticks looking at him with his head down coming toward me on a hard angle. I knew he was trailing 1 of the does but I didn't see the broken antler.

The buck in the first pic was a diff situation. He was in an open pasture with his head up. I could tell he was an adult with good mass BUT
was narrow & high. I had to look CLOSE to see a 3rd point -- we have 3 pt on 1 side minimum legal buck. I did NOT see the little eye guard on his left side but could see the right one.

Both bucks weighed in the 170-175 lb range. I recorded their weights but am going from memory.

Since I can't control anything OFF the acreage I'm hunting, I can't do much good culling but I do what I can.

This year I NEED to remove quite a few Does. My relatives told me yesterday that they were running over w/Does and babies.
Maybe I'll get to ring out the Tikka 7 Mag.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by rost495
......Still own a 7x300 wtby that I wish shot as well as every 7 Rem Mag I've messed with

Not questioning your probable efforts, once I learned Wby’s like deeper seated bullets my accuracy attempts became much more predictable.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by hanco
When you consider power, availability of ammunition, it’s chambered by every manufacturer, is there is a better Norh American cartridge? If loaded with 120 or 140 grain bullets, it’s great for deer. If loaded with heavy bullets it will take any other North American game, even the big bears in a pinch. I don’t think there is a better cartridge unless it’s a 300 Win Mag or 338 Win mag, but some people can’t take the recoil. I’m a big fan, I have four of them.

Yeah, a 7mm08...

I think ol Bobby would’ve fainted....

I’m a solid 7mm Rem Mag/WSM and Mashburn Super fan. Besides the 338, it’s my favorite caliber and as a whole there isn’t anything I wouldn’t tackle with a good one of any of them.

My favorite.... Burgess/Milliron 7mm Rem Mag.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by donsm70
Two weeks ago I had to make a final decision between a 7mm RM and a 280ai in a Cooper M92 Backcountry at 5 pounds 12 ounces.

I chose the 280ai and I think I made the right choice. Time will tell with elk and mule deer hunts on the agenda.

donsm70

my 280 AI is 2.25 lbs lighter. With 140’s a 3200, there’s not much it won’t do.

Maybe ? at insane pressures !

Jerry

If you are thinking that I am running my loads on the ragged edge, I’m not. I don’t do that. That 140 load @ 3200 is very docile & a pleasure to shoot. It has a 23” barrel.

Last edited by Reloder28; 07/17/18.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Reloder28
As much as I love my 7 Wby, my 280 AI is 2.25 lbs lighter. With 140’s a 3200, there’s not much it won’t do.

28 - How much does your Wby weigh ?

How much does your 280AI weigh ?

Jerry

280 AI weighs 6:15
7 Wby weighs 8:4

Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mathman
Interesting. I've poured the coal to a couple of 7mm Wby. mags and 3300 was tippy top end.

m m - have you given the R M and Wby 7 mags CASES a close look ? They are pretty similar except for neck length.

Jerry

My 7 Wby runs 140’s @ 3400 without indigestion, .75 moa. It has a 24” barrel.

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
They'll come back to the 7-mm Remington Mag.
It's a great round. And, so are a lot of others.

I have one 7-mm Mag. Getting ready to build another. I'll prolly give it to my son when it's done.

Doubt it.

Jerry

Yeah, 180s and 195s around 3000fps are a lot more fun to shoot than 140s at similar speeds. Real men shoot 338s and bigger.

Page 9 of 20 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,412
Posts18,489,030
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.