Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Hello

I picked up a Custom Super Grade Model 70 from the mid nineties and have a couple questions. I know the Ultimate Classics have higher end aftermarket barrels but was wondering what this model came with? Would it be a select factory barrel or an aftermarket? This gun seems to be a super grade put together in he custom shop with a few extras. What’s the general feeling on quality of these guns? Is it much higher than a run of the mill Super Grade from the same era? Thanks for any input!!

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
IIRC most of the Custom Shop rifles came with Krieger barrels... Others?

I have a few of these and they're excellent rifles..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How can you tell that it is from the custom shop?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
IIRC most of the Custom Shop rifles came with Krieger barrels... Others?

That's what I've heard and I read somewhere that Schneider barrels were used also.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Thanks for the replies guys. I realize the high end barrels were used on the Ultimate Classics and I have seen it referenced in the Custom Shop letters as to the brand. I have the letter for mine and it doesn’t say anything with regards to an upgraded barrel. I was just curious if the Custom Super Grades just had a factory barrel as they were not nearly as expensive as the Ultimate Classics. I have seen a Custom Classic referenced as well. Would that model be similar to the Custom Super Grade? That’s what mine is referred to as in the Custom Shop letter. Thanks again.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by petr
How can you tell that it is from the custom shop?
Box/papers with the rifle is part of it, but to be certain one looks for two oval stampings on the top of the barrel just ahead of the receiver. The second one will have "CS" inside the oval..

Other tell-tale things like fine jeweling on the bolt AND the magazine follower, plus many of 'em have (NH rifles) a "G-XXXX" S/N...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I had three and down to one. All are tack drivers. Mine, all had Krieger barrels. The comissioner of the rifle from the Custom Shop, dictated what barrel they wanted according to their preference. The shop obliged.

On the top of the barrel near the action is a small proof stamp " CSG" indicating Custom Shop Gun. It is in a triangle form. Granted, most were proofed with the stamp, but not all.

More work was done to the whole rifle and was expected. You paid good money for a different tier rifle. Some had exhibition wood and elaborate engraving. Some came with Mcmillan stocks, carbon fiber barrels or stainless steel barreled actions. Jeweled bolt, engine turned for exact alignment etc... If you can find a used one at a good price, grab it. I think they are similar to a Dakota 76 in overall quality. The regular production 70's were a hit and miss.

When Win. New Haven plant shut down, with it, all records disappeared. May be one day a past disgruntled employee will make them available is unknown.
The South Carolina plant does not have a Custom Shop.
A super grade model was also produced. It is a better product than the factory mass produced version, but without the sweat equity of the Custom Shop Guns. It was reflected in their price. There are some beautiful Super Grades with exotic wood and tack drivers. Though, not all. Super Grades for an excellent condition run from $1,200- 1,700. A CSG will start at $2,400-4,400 and could go much higher.These are used market prices in today's market.
You can look for an old Win. catalogue and look up the various designations. I don't have one anymore or I would have sent it to you.

My personal advise, is to examine each rifle specifically and make a decision. In the end, you want something that you can appreciate in all it's inherent qualities and not give a damn about designations.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Thanks for the information. The Super Grades I’m talking about are called custom Super Grades and have the custom shop stamp. There are several NIB ones on gunbroker right now in the $2000-$2300 range. They look like a regular Super Grade but have a few extra touches. They come with a letter etc like all the other Custom Shop guns. My gun is identical to those rifles. So is the seller asking too much and do you think these guns have a regular old Winchester barrel on them?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Here's a pic of what the stamping looks like (sorry for the somewhat crap pic, but it's hard to hold a 105mm prime steady.. laugh )

[Linked Image]bbcode image

It's from a M70 Ultimate Classic in .35 Whelen..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Redneck,

Based on the lack of blur, I'd say you held it pretty steady . . . but you need to work on your lighting . . . and, while there is some truth to it, that last part was mostly just messing with you. wink

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Redneck,

Based on the lack of blur, I'd say you held it pretty steady . . . but you need to work on your lighting . . . and, while there is some truth to it, that last part was mostly just messing with you. wink
No, I hear ya... I was in a hurry.. laugh laugh What I should have done was douse the lights and just used the flash.. Mighta been a tad better..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Anyone with more info on the Custom Super Grades?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,444
Posts18,470,916
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.