Hop To
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
ChrisAU Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
We’ll just keep an eye on the fire watches.

What about bugs? Is bug repellant essential for 3rd week of October or is it dead weight?

You won't need bug repellent. You might need a snow shovel and tire chains though. Where in AL are you coming from?

The very far Southeastern corner, about as far away as I can be and be in Alabama. I do plan on getting some chains just in case. I do have a 4x4 Tacoma TRD with rear locker that we’ll be driving. Looking at Gunnison weather averages and then accounting for elevation changes, if I go where I want to right now, average weather would be highs in the low 50’s and lows in the teens. Yeah, camp fire will be essential lol.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

What about bugs? Is bug repellant essential for 3rd week of October or is it dead weight?

You won't need bug repellent. You might need a snow shovel and tire chains though. Where in AL are you coming from?

The very far Southeastern corner, about as far away as I can be and be in Alabama. I do plan on getting some chains just in case. I do have a 4x4 Tacoma TRD with rear locker that we’ll be driving. Looking at Gunnison weather averages and then accounting for elevation changes, if I go where I want to right now, average weather would be highs in the low 50’s and lows in the teens. Yeah, camp fire will be essential lol.

As someone else mentioned it's possible that the fire bans will still be in place, but I doubt it. You'll be fine with the Tacoma and chains. I've only used chains four times since 1996, but each time it would have been a disaster without them. Weather can be 15-75 that time of year. Just never know.

Sounds like you're in the Orange Beach area. We might be down there the end of August.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A tipi tent with a small Ti stove is a glorious thing when temps drop to the teens. No need for bug spray.

I spent about two years in Pensacola, great beaches!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've been watching this thread. I'm planning my 1st elk hunt this fall as well. And while I've never hunted elk, I did get a mule deer tag several years back and my wife and I have made several road trips throughout the west and all of them involved at least driving through Colorado. I've criss crossed most of the western half of the state and the area around unit 75 is some of the most scenic. I live in NW GA and I can promise you that you'll be awestruck by the bigness of the country in CO after coming from LA (lower Alabama) as we call it here.

One important thing that I didn't see mentioned was preparing for the altitude. Going from sea level to 7000' or more is going to be a shock to your system for a day or 3. The better shape you're in before you get there the faster you'll acclimate. I've never gotten sick, but the 1st day or so I've always been dragging and had no energy. In 2010 my BIL and I drove 28 hours straight taking turns sleeping. We met 4 others who came out several days early. We got into camp about 3 PM on opening day, rested and started hunting the next day and it was about all I could do to put one foot in front of the other. I got where I was going, but it took a lot longer than normal. By the 2nd day I was back to my old self and had no problems. We were at about 7000' I'd try to arrive a day or 2 early, or at least don't try anything too strenuous the 1st day or 2 until you acclimate.

The city where I live is about 500' above sea level, but I live on a ridge at about 1000'. I live a dead end road and a great place for me to walk to get in shape From the top of my hill to the bottom and back is a 1.5 mile round trip with 500' lost and gained each lap. There are also lots of hiking trails in the N GA mountains where I can get up to 3000-4000. ' And in TN I often hike in places a bit over 6000'. Being able to do that really helps me be prepared. I know 3000' isn't 7000'+, but it is closer than sea level.

There aren't any hills to speak of in LA, so I'd advise finding a stadium if possible where you can run/walk up and down the bleachers. If not that some tall building where you can use the steps. That is the closest thing I can think of to help simulate the conditions you'll be in.

Weather: I've been snowed on in Colorado in June. We've had to alter or plans while snow was removed from higher elevations twice before we could get where we were going. In 2010 we hunted 2nd season and ran into snow westbound at the Eisenhower tunnel for just a few miles. We got about 6-8" the 2nd night in camp, but clear weather the other days. We made the mistake of breaking camp in the afternoon and crossed the high mountain passes on I-70 after dark on the way home. We wanted to get east of Denver before getting a hotel. I ended up driving about 70 miles through snow and the outside temperature was in the teens. We get a significant snow here about every other year or so, so I'm not totally unfamiliar with driving in snow. But that was a lot deeper snow, and for a lot more miles than I've ever driven. Never had any problems, didn't need the chains, but I had them. I wouldn't make that drive, in those conditions at night again though.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
ChrisAU Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Me and my hunting partner both agree this isn’t a fat man’s game ha. He is in really good shape. I’m just average. I’ve gotten back into running, this has been great motivation. We plan on spending a few weeks prior running up and down some steep hills here with our packs on with 60 lbs in them. We figure if we can do that without stopping for 2 miles without having heart attacks then we should be ok slow hiking. I know we can’t simulate the conditions, but we are cognizant that we (I) need to up my cardio game.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Me and my hunting partner both agree this isn’t a fat man’s game ha.
Well said and it made me laugh. Had some friends from WI meet us two years ago, they just about died during our preseason scouting, not to mention actual hunting. Even living at 8400' here in CO it's still exhausting at 10 or 11,000'. My advice to any new elk hunter, is get in shape, like seriously good shape, and get the best sleeping bag and boots you can afford. Forget spending $ on a fancy rifle, if you can't walk and sleep you won't need a gun. If your feet are cold, wet, and hurting you won't want to hunt. If you can't stay warm at night and get a good night sleep, you won't get the rest your body needs. Those two will drain your motivation fast.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

The part that doesn’t get snow in October, I’ll bet.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
As a native Alabamian 45 years removed, I have elk hunted in Colorado with some of my homies since 2005, mostly 2nd season, and I can confirm that most of the Southern boys who have tagged along were not ready for the changes in weather and 7,000+ elevation. A couple of “coasties “ from Washington have suffered accordingly, also. I can tell you from personal experience that it can go from sunburn to single digits in the same week. Be prepared. Also a travel tip: avoid I-70 over the Eisenhower or Rabbit Ears Pass if there is a hint of bad weather. Run north to I-80 via CO-13 and run 80 over to Lincoln, NE then home, or take the southern route to Amarillo. What passes for winter driving conditions to us who live and hunt in the Northwest is probably way different from your definition. Sounds like you are being prepared. Have a great trip!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
ChrisAU Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P

We wear shorts for Christmas.

ChrisAU Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Navigation...

I have paper maps from diyhuntingmaps.com, and I know how to use a compass. Looking at Gaia for our phones, can be used in airplane mode. Seems easier to use than OnX, and we are looking at getting a Garmin for backup.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P

We wear shorts for Christmas.

Well, you got a new day a comin’ this elk season.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Elk Hunting is more mental toughness then physical. You must be in top physical condition unless you are hunting a ranch somewhere and even those can be tough.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
ohhhh you are straying....get OnX maps!

After all this advice, you better bring us along on the hunt via pictures and narrative!

I loved the evolution of an elk hunter that someone posted earlier. It is an addiction. But a healthy one!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ya'll keep up the comments and advice. I'm reading every word, as I'm preparing for my first elk hunt this fall in Montana.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Make sure your equipment all works together. Nothing worse than having an opportunity at an elk and you are fumbling for your range finder or wind powder or something. Did we mention merino wool socks? I think so, but it has been awhile since i read this. Do NOT get blisters.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Berettaman
Do NOT get blisters.

Yes, don't get blisters. And bring some good blister bandages like second skin, or whatever works for you. Even if you don't get 'em, your partner might.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The wool socks comment is spot on. If the weather is going to be wet at all, wool pants too. Don't wear jeans in Colorado at elevation in late October. I'm always amazed at how many guys I see wearing jeans while hunting. Fine when the weather is good, but cotton does not keep you warm when it's wet like wool does. While I'm on the topic of clothes, you'll want layers. The early mornings can be very cold, but by 10 am it could be shirtsleeve weather, so you'll want to shed and add layers as needed. I usually carry a daypack that is mostly empty (it has water, sock hat, first aid kit, snacks, spare gloves) but I leave room to stick in clothes as the day warms up.
You have information overload yet, Chris? 😂 Be in shape, bring good gear and enjoy the experience. I'm still learning too, I haven't killed an elk yet myself, but it's fun trying.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe you should get some jeans. Amazing how many elk are killed every year by the guys that wear them.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You don't know nothing. Have you ever even been elk hunting?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Maybe you should get some jeans. Amazing how many elk are killed every year by the guys that wear them.....

I spent a day hunting with a friend in high school wearing jeans in the Cascades in Washington. It was October, it rained, and I was very cold and miserable the whole day. Since then I only wear jeans hunting pronghorn in Wyoming in September. 😛 I see the jeans guys with their dead elk in the back of their trucks, but to me it's not worth the discomfort. And for someone like Chris, unaccustomed to our thin air and Colorado weather, it could be miserable for him if he gets caught in snow in jeans, which is why I suggested wool. 😊

Last edited by VoiceMan; 07/19/18.
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 2,907 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,944
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.