Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by satx78247
local_dirt,

I would LOVE to see/photograph a BLACK jaguar. - Always heard reports of black cats from the Indios down there but I wasn't ever that lucky.
(I saw a "fairly dark" pelt but nothing that could be called black.)

yours, tex

Tex, google it. There are pics out there. A black jaguar was what I was specifically warned about in that area.

Tex,
Here are a couple quick links i picked up with google.

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&source=android-browser&q=yucatan+black+jaguar#imgrc=hfuypsMsbF2ZLM:

http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2017/01/quintana-roo-holds-the-largest-jaguar-population-nationwide/

http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2015/06/jaguars-make-a-comeback-in-yucatan/

Sian Ka'an biosphere is where I've done a lot of diy fishing, as well as Tulum and north up the coast from there. There are days I may not see another human all day or most of the day. These are 2 of the areas they are spotted, as well as Coba, and Ek Balam, which literally translates to black jaguar in Mayan.

I have a picture of me taken on top of Nohoch Mul, the highest pyramid in the Yucatan at Coba, when you could still climb it. In the background is nothing but thick jungle.for as far as you can see. Ideal territory for a jaguar.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The cheetah, however, is most closely related to the mountain lion, both being members of the much larger category felidae, into which are included the domesticated house cat.

I'm not sure the bit about the cheetah is correct. Have you ever seen one in person? I don't know about the scientific classifications, but the cheetah is almost nothing like a mountain lion, other than vaguely similar size. Bone and muscle structure is different, their habits and mannerisms are different, and the cheetah is generally taller and thinner, with much smaller feet and being less heavily built.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The cheetah, however, is most closely related to the mountain lion, both being members of the much larger category felidae, into which are included the domesticated house cat.

I'm not sure the bit about the cheetah is correct. Have you ever seen one in person? I don't know about the scientific classifications, but the cheetah is almost nothing like a mountain lion, other than vaguely similar size. Bone and muscle structure is different, their habits and mannerisms are different, and the cheetah is generally taller and thinner, with much smaller feet and being less heavily built.

Yes, its closest living relative is the North American Mountain lion. It is believed, in fact, that it was at one time the same species (several million years ago), but changed form only after migrating to Africa, where it depended less on ambush and more on maximizing speed in the chase, thus losing retractability in its claws.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

in the interest of this theme, i did a little looking on youtube yesterday.

of course not a jaguar in this case--but rather, a leopard.

appears these guys were using some pretty heavy hitting rigs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJwZ38mYsF4

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel

when i saw the open window, i figured that was coming...

obviously, few folks will ever encounter a jaguar or leopard in their daily routines.

far more likely it will be a pit bull, or other vicious, dangerous animal that can potentially maul.

while the 9mm is my favorite handgun cartridge, it is all of the dangerous dogs that caused me to re-evaluate this. i settled on the .45 auto about 17 years back, for every day concealed carry. and on occasion, the .40 S&W--as i'm more inclined to trust the heavier bullets in handguns when it comes to these aggressive urban animals.

.40's drop pitbulls very well.

Travis,

just got off the phone, talking with shrapnel. i think he misses you being here in God's country...

from your comment, i take it you may have had to use a .40 on one of those land sharks.

a while back, i briefly communicated with another 'Fire member who mentioned he had good success with the .40 in this application.

while there are a lot of pits here in the area where i live, i'd imagine Florida would be much worse...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
You mean better? LOL.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel

while there are a lot of pits here in the area where i live, i'd imagine Florida would be much worse...

As far as dogs, Montana was much worse. Texas was absolutely horrendous.

There seems to be little/no tolerance for an unleashed dog in this area.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Those gayted communities are rough!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm not talking about those. I mean everywhere.

But yeah, some of the gated communities will have you removed for farting.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Its all the Yankees.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Think further south...

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
You shoot dogs in your white outfit/pink shirt, or is Sonny going Tactical these days?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
There are no dogs to shoot.

The pants are pink also.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
The Beretta Model 71 (Jaguar) immediately comes to mind, but it would not be my first choice. smile

Being that they are think skinned critters, I think your typical 124 grain Gold dot fired from whatever 9mm service auto you perform best with would more than likely be just fine.

Truth be told though, if I had the opportunity to be in on the hunt for a big kitty on the loose, I would likely take along a special handgun like a custom 1911, or my favorite 5" Model 29. More likely than not, it is going to be settled in one shot or two, and the "Trophy shot" will be hanging on your wall for a long time, and a Glock 17/19/34 just does not have the panache that a custom Les Baer or Colt 1911 .45 or a 2.5" M19.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Though it is very hard to be a 4" 29-2

[Linked Image]

The hard part is deciding which one!

Love the grips on that Les Baer. Old school cool, right there.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
HOLY CRAP YOUR PANTS BATMAN!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,452 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,681
Posts18,493,892
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.