Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Marlin has apparently re-cataloged the Texan Deluxe and it is featured in the new email they are sending out.

There are a few on Gunbroker at present for around the $800 mark but Rural King, also known as Big R stores released their daily sales email yesterday with this rifle featured for $399.00.
I bought mine. They are in .30/30 only.
Go get'em.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There are different "Texans". The $800 guns are the 336TDL Texan Deluxe. By the picture and the SKU # in their add, Big R is selling the 336WTE Texan Edition. Still not a bad price though.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
RK/Marlin can call it what they choose but the rifle pictured online with the ad has a curved pistol grip stock so it ain’t no Texan to me.
The Texan deluxe model does have the straight grip stock like the older Texans but not so with the rifle RK is selling.

Last edited by OlRufus; 07/19/18.

Good judgment comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement! 🥴
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Is there a "W" version of the Texan? I have seen several ads for the Texan and the vendors were using the "C" stock photo in their advertisement. It does not make a great deal of sense, but that is what they have done.

John, how is the fit and function of your Texan? I want to buy one, but I am still a little concerned about the quality of the Remington-Marlins. CP.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Texan Deluxe
[Linked Image]
Texas Edition
[Linked Image]

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Take a look at this offering and the listed specs:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/779577704

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by CP

A lot of confusion, even by retailers. Even though they call it a "Texan Deluxe", the MFR #70522 designates it as a "Texas Edition" same as this one; https://www.gunbroker.com/item/771724917 and the one RK is selling.
The real Texan Deluxe is MFR #70534 like this one; https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-336/model-336tdl-texan-deluxe
Much different rifle. Still, $400 for a Texas Edition isn't a bad price but it's not a Deluxe

Last edited by tmitch; 07/19/18.

Charter Member

szihn

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The SKU for the real Deluxe Texan is: 70534

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yeah-I don't think they know what they are selling...

A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Hey fella's, how come no-one read this on the same page?

"Please Note: Many of our pictures are stock photos provided to us by the manufacturer and do not necessarily represent the actual item being purchased. Please do not rely on the picture. You should instead verify that the MPN and UPC correspond to the gun you wish to purchase."

The stock pic provided is is W version with a birch stock and pistol grip and is the wrong item. Hence the above rider from RK.
The Texan Deluxe has a SKU number of 70522 as stated by CP above and also stated by RK on the rifles description.

"The Texan Deluxe model has a walnut stock and forend with a deeply blued metal finish. It has a Marble Arms semi-buckhorn rear right and ramp front sight. This Texan Deluxe Texas Edition model has a 20" barrel and features an engraved scroll with "TEXAS EDITION" on one side and the Marlin horse and rider inside an outline of Texas on the other."

Miss out now and bitch later, it's the innernet way........lol.
John

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by tmitch
Originally Posted by CP

A lot of confusion, even by retailers. Even though they call it a "Texan Deluxe", the MFR #70522 designates it as a "Texas Edition" same as this one; https://www.gunbroker.com/item/771724917 and the one RK is selling.
The real Texan Deluxe is MFR #70534 like this one; https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-336/model-336tdl-texan-deluxe
Much different rifle. Still, $400 for a Texas Edition isn't a bad price but it's not a Deluxe

But I could still be totally wrong here.
There is no MFR 70522 in the Marlin Catalog. The verbiage in both the advertisement and the receipt says "Texan Deluxe" repeatedly, so because of the 10 day wait, who knows?
John

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I had a real JM Marlin Texan many years ago. It was alot better looking rifle than that new Texan Deluxe. No, the wood wasn't as nice and it didn't have engraving or the spiffy little gold horse/rider logo but the forearm was much slimmer and it had a hooded ramp front sight and a rounded, rather than square lever loop. Leave it to Remington to fugg up the styling.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It wasn't Remington that changed the design. There were several releases of Marlin Texans since its introduction in '51, round levers were squared off in '70.
I personally prefer the looks and feel of the squared off lever on the straight grip stock. YMMV

AGW, I sincerely hope you get the Deluxe model, and yeah, I'll be pissin' and moanin' that I didn't pull the trigger! cry After looking into it more, I'm not confident enough it won't be a W series (hardwood stock, bead blast finish) to finalize the sale of the one I put in my shopping cart. Let us know what you get.

Charter Member

szihn

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
It was Remingtton that put the pot bellied forearm and plain, non ramped front sight on it. The '70's JM's with the squared finger lever still had a slim forearm that matched the countour of the receiver and a hooded, ramped front sight. I wouldn't trust Remington to build a slingshot and get it right. YMMV.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Too many variations of the Texan to make a blanket statement.

Forearm on early '80s Texan
[Linked Image]

Front sight on late 80's 30TK (Kmart spec'd Texan)
[Linked Image]

Again it wasn't Remington.

Charter Member

szihn

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Do you believe that all of the Texan Editions (SKU 70522) are 2018-17 production? If so, this group of rifles may give us a benchmark of the current QC at Remlin. It sure would be interesting to hear a few fit, finish and function reports on the Texan Edition. CP.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by tmitch
Too many variations of the Texan to make a blanket statement.

Forearm on early '80s Texan
[Linked Image]

Front sight on late 80's 30TK (Kmart spec'd Texan)
[Linked Image]

Again it wasn't Remington.
The K-Mart version sure as hell ain't a Texan. Cheap , birch stocked, half mag, economy grade carbine that would have worn the "Glenfield" name in the 70's. They gotta save money somewhere on those department store specials hence the chaep wood and sights.. And yes, Marlin did fugg up the styling on some of their rifles when they were still in North Haven and still wore the JM stamp. Never liked the fat "perch belly" forearms or the crossbolt safeties nor the checkering they started putting on all the later Walnut stocked models. All that aside I've owned a lot of North Haven Marlins over the years and considered them about the best value out there in a blue collar working mans gun. Never had any problems to speak of with any of mine and almost every one was acceptably to exceptionally accurate for what they are. Wish I could say the same for all the Remingtons I bought but I can't. In fact, between those I've owned myself and others I've worked on throughout my gunsmithing career, I've seen enough outright junk from Remington that I've sworn them off completely. I do still have seven JM Marlins in the house and will probably buy more in the future but big green will never get another dollar from me.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
They also made a short Texan know as the LTS in the late 80s without a ramp.

[Linked Image]

Charter Member

szihn

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yeah, but compared to today’s “Glenfields’ with the black bolt and matte finishes, the 30TK is only a couple of steps away from being a real classic.

Agreed that the wood and the front sight cheapens it. But I bought my 30TK for the guide gun like configuration knowing exactly how it was different/less than a late sixties Texan.

If they’d brought out the same rifle now with walnut and the same slim forearm and the old RC hooded sight, I think it might be a hit. Just put a bullseye and a gold trigger on it and call it a 336GT.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by CP
Do you believe that all of the Texan Editions (SKU 70522) are 2018-17 production? If so, this group of rifles may give us a benchmark of the current QC at Remlin. It sure would be interesting to hear a few fit, finish and function reports on the Texan Edition. CP.
No experince with the new Texan but a friend of mine did buy a new stainless 336 .30-30 this past October. I examined it and went to the range with him right after he got it for initial sight in. I shot the thing and it did function and was acceptably accurate with the Winchester factory loads he brought for it that day. The stock finish however was certainly nothing to brag on with visibly uneven wood surface underneath. The checkering looked like it was done by a five year old with the corner of a brick and the edges of the finger lever were so sharp as to be uncomfortable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,413
Posts18,470,470
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.