-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If any of you are using the Leupold TMR reticle I would like to hear your thoughts. Last year I ordered a 2.5-8x36 CDS from them and was told I could only get the Duplex in that model. When I talked to the Custom Shop again today I was told I could have the B&C or TMR put in that model for a mere 200 bucks! When I told the Custom Shop guy that was what I originally wanted and was told no, he said he did not believe any one from the Custom Shop would of told me that.

I wished him well and hung up, crap, that is what I was told. Any way, if ya got that reticle please share your thoughts.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have the 3-9X Patrol which has a TMR but it's a little different than the ones in their MK series. It's a thicker reticle with simple hashes every .5 MILS and a Firedot. I really like if for big game hunting. It's easy to pick up even without the firedot. The version I have wouldn't be my first choice for target shooting but it makes an excellent hunting scope and is one of my favorites.

Scott
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I have the Firedot TMR in one of my Mark AR 3-9x40 scopes. It has longer hashes every mil and short hashes at the .5 mil increments; only complaint there is the short and long hashes aren't different enough to easily distinguish quickly. Otherwise it's a pretty good reticle and I do like it. With the Firedot, the center dot covers about 1" at 100 yards, so it's a little better for shooting fast than for maximum precision, compared to their mil-dot which has finer crosshairs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the TMR reticle in a couple of VX3i LRP 6.5-20s and a recently acquired VH5-HD, 3-15. I like the reticle and find it effective for quick, on the fly, vertical and horizontal POA adjustments, quicker than dialing. Found the TMR to be just the ticket on PD rifles. Since both of the aforementioned are SFP scopes, one has to remember that the distance between the hashes is based on the scope being set on its highest magnification.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have TMR on a couple of 6.5-20's. I run the #'s for elevation in MOA, windage in MILs then follow the #'s on the chart. No thinking or trying to convert, just follow the #'s on the chart. One of them is on a 1:8 22-250 that I use as my "truck gun" and I really like the hash-marks for reference on running coyotes.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hey All! That is right, the TMR has a few different variations. The Firedot TMR that Scott and Yondering have in their VX-Rs and Mark ARs (as well as the TMR in the VX-Freedom AR) have a solid, slightly heavier line all the way to the center, and the hashmarks will all be 0.5Mil spaced.

The TMR that is used in the VX-3 scopes (including the VX-3i LRP and the 2.5-8 that 1AK has) will have a bit finer lines, an open aperture as the center aiming point, and have the last (5th) Mil segment from center broken into 0.2Mil hashes (See attached image). That is the style that we would install in your VX-3i 2.5-8x36mm, 1AK.

Hope this helps!

Attached Images
Capture.JPG (66.16 KB, 63 downloads)

Be Bold. Be Adventurous. Be Relentless. // We do not actively engage in threads or respond to private messages. For customer service help, please contact us directly at 1-800-LEUPOLD or [email protected].
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Hey LeupoldOptics,

I’ve been a longtime fan of Leupold, and have owned a bunch of your scopes, binos, spotting scopes, and mounts over the years, but have really lost faith in your scopes.

Twenty years ago, we were seeing a lot fewer failures - and I’m not just referring to dialing scopes, problems with zero retention have become a HUGE issue, even in fixed power, set and forget Leupolds. I was in on three Leupold scopes going haywire in 2017, and quite frankly I’m done with Leupold unless the company is able to demonstrate that they’ve updated the scopes to stay in line and track correctly.

What is Leupold doing to address and fix the rash of failures in the company’s scopes?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think it'd be good, and appropriate, if LeupoldOptics stated what his/her title/function is at Leupo. If he/she is representing the company, we need to know who we are communicating with.

Last edited by 4th_point; 07/19/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another thing, Whats up with No LR dots on some scope? I have some friends who are rather upset with your company. No B-n-C on others. I hear, bean counters came in and started running the company.
Hey, I don't have a dog in this so, don't be mad at me.
I only have a few Leupolds left. I started selling them off after I sent a scope back to you for repair. I bought this scope new from an on-line sales company. You need hand tools to move the wheel for the power selection.
I received my scope back. When I first opened the box, I was excited my scope would be fixed and I would mount it on a rifle. As I read the letter, that came back with my scope. It read, my scope was in spec, they hoped I continue to enjoy my Leupold products. This scope was new when I sent it to Leupold and it's still new in a box at my home. I wouldn't sell or give this scope to anyone, Nor would I buy another.
Within spec. Are you kidding me.
Oh, was I ranting!

Last edited by Hammerdown; 07/20/18.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey LeupoldOptics,

I am glad to see a Leupold person on the forum and appreciate it! Does the 2.5-8 has to be on the highest power to use the TMR reticle?

Where can I see the reticles offered for the 2.5-8, is the Custom Shop showing it now? I am mostly a moose and caribou hunter in Alaska and want a reticle that can be seen in low light and allow hold over and/or dialing. Is that a tall order?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Could y’all please start including the rubber Bikini witht the 20mm Freedom scopes.

How about a fixed 4.75x36 with the larger eyebox if you really wanna crush everyone

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 07/21/18.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Hey LeupoldOptics,k

I’ve been a longtime fan of Leupold, and have owned a bunch of your scopes, binos, spotting scopes, and mounts over the years, but have really lost faith in your scopes.

Twenty years ago, we were seeing a lot fewer failures - and I’m not just referring to dialing scopes, problems with zero retention have become a HUGE issue, even in fixed power, set and forget Leupolds. I was in on three Leupold scopes going haywire in 2017, and quite frankly I’m done with Leupold unless the company is able to demonstrate that they’ve updated the scopes to stay in line and track correctly.

What is Leupold doing to address and fix the rash of failures in the company’s scopes?

Playing dodgeball.
You think he is gonna answer that
Mofo is a company man or a sock puppet
Read his Sig line
Its all plausible deniability
Call customer service
Hahahaaa!!

loyal leupold user from 1978 - 2016

Changed out a 2001 vx3 2.5-8x36 with no issues.
For the new fangled vx3i 3.5-10x40 In 2016

Ran outta elevation using leupold low rings and leupold adjustable windage bases in December of 2016 trying to "zero" that fugger
The day I 1st got it and get back out hunting the next with my new "Lord of the Ring" scope.

On a rifle of proven accuracy with that 2001 scope
And a previous leupold 1994 2-7x33 with friction adjustments
Called up service tech
He said bases might be out of spec
Told him they are your bases and rings
Was hearing crickets for about 5 seconds after that
I was told I needed to shim it
I was told to exercise the turrets fully to spread lube in it to free up the reticle
Cause they only apply lube to one point in their streamlined assembly now
And don't run the turrets to do that anymore as part of QC
(Owners Manuel info to do it??? NOT.....)

Got it what I thought was "zeroed" in feb/march of 2017 playing the wonky adjustment game.
After getting screwed outta the last 3 weeks of rifle season in 2016
Waiting on fu c king shims from them....

"zeroed" in feb/ March of 2017 dealing with typical leupold wonky inprecise adjustments.Thought of shim under my rear base bugged the fu ck outta me

Take it back out in October to check "zero"
Fugger drifted high and left...... go figure......

Get it shooting elevation correct making clicks looking thru scope watching reticle then shoot.
Fine...
Go to put windage on it looking thru scope.
Hit 2 clicks right at 100yds
That reticle moved diagonally 12-14" off the target to the 4 o'clock position
Wtf........
Optically recentered scope
That bytch would not pair shots within 5 inches
Got home called customer service and got a tech
Did everything he could do to disprove my "claim"
Told him I spent 24 yrs in the infantry and shot more gawt damm scoped rifles
On this planet than he could name...
Then said get my repair # and postage stuff arranged
And test fire this scope for tracking on a square.
Sent it in . Called the same tech once a week for 3 weeks
Finnally he said it shot a grossly out of spec trapizoid.
Asked him about repair
Dude said we will send you a NIB
Asked why not fix it
Dude Said cheaper to disassemble use good parts on production line and throw bad erector components away.

All aspects of my calls let the genie outta the bottle to me about leupold and it's modern business plan

I got the NIB the next week and sold it the next day at a pawn shop for 275 bucks still in the plastic.

Thank God I had a back up rifle for 2017
And a naked model 70 at the house

It now sports a scope that works
A sightron SII 3-9x42
A Mauser of mine also sports one.

I would have been better off shoving a dried corn cob up my ass and going to Wal-Mart
And getting a Simmons 8pt in the plastic ya have ta cut open with a pair of scissors, rather than buying a leupold vx3i....

laugh laugh laugh

BTW....."Leupoldoptics" if you read this
Your company owes me as far as I am fu cking concerned
The cost of 38 Barnes ttsx 168gr .30-06 rounds chasing "zero" with your fu c ked up
Abortion of a scope over the period of 10 months
And the cost of weaver grand slam rings (non windage adjustable)and 2 pc steel weaver bases for a new haven model 70 classic sporter ot6..
And the 63 buck difference between the 338 bucks I paid for it and the 275 I sold the NIB replacement for
to get that tainted POS product outta my presence .....
(I won't even buy your companies lens pens anymore the felt wears out too fast around the edges and the pad stem breaks loose)
Pm me and make all that fu c king right
Don't need no explanation from ya.....

Just say in your pm "I am Mr Wolfe from pulp fiction working for leupold
And what is your name and address so we can send you a check".

"My employer also understands you absolutely do not want any type of leupold store credit for inferior merchandise".....

All ya need is my name and address...
I'm sure my "issue I had" can be confirmed in your companies records....

Signed
Renegade50
Not a "gold ring fanboy" anymore.........

Have a nice day.......

Last edited by renegade50; 07/21/18.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
"Leupoldoptics"

$202.32 with tax is what your company cost me monetary wise and thats how I fu cking see it.

$63.00 difference between purchase price and disgusted resale price of scope to get rid of it.

Midsouth shooters supply prices, 3 miles down the road from me
where all items were purchased.

Item # 135-21565 Barnes 30- 06 ttsx 168gr $42.81 per box of 20
Price per round $2.14 × 38rds chasing "zero" with POS vx3i scope
=$81.34

Item# 029-49321 Weaver Grand Slam rings $20.45
Item# 029-48228 Weaver steel rear base $ 9.74
Item# 029-48227 Weaver steel front base $ 9.74

Subtotal $ 184.27
Tn 9.4% sales tax $18.05
Grand total = $202.32

And I ain't got no fugging receipts from this vx3i fiasco
either, but who fugging would if they had the same crap happen and was completely
Assed the fu ck up about your product and just wanted to move
the fu ck on to brands that work and wash their hands of it.

Pm me
Simply ask my name and address and nothing else, don't wanna hear
any lame customer relations crap.
Have your company cut me a fu cking check for $202.32.......

I have been your companies worst word of mouth spokesman
In the fort campbell Kentucky and Clarksville TN areas since this crap happened

And the funny thing is probably at least 60% of the people I strike up
A discussion with, have been staying the fu ck away from leupold scopes also
And I get to hear their "gold ring experience" also
It funny as shyt almost..........
And probably 20- 25% of people i talk too stay away from leupold scopes after I talk
To em.
Let me give a example
Academy sports scope display spot
I have stirred more people away from leupold scopes their than you can
Shake a stick at
Even the sales people i talk too, and not just at academy either say leupold scopes suck.

It's my cross I bear and I take great pleasure relating my leupold
Scope story in great detail every fu c king chance I get.

Have a nice day........

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
my buddy on tndeer.com shot a doe at 9yards with his loopolts scope, he swear by them and they scopes

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Renegade

Leupy has adopted the same company mission statement as Dish Network

"We got 10 million customers we don't give a phouck"

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
The whole thing is almost funny in a way.

Dude that shot The deer at 9 yards with his loopolts scoped rifle.

Was it on one of those Wal-Mart remington model 783,s in .270????

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
LeupoldOptics, if you are going to chime in you better be ready to answer some questions. It's sometimes a tough crowd here, but most are honest and know what they are talking about from experience. Your not going to be able to BS these guys. If your not going to respond to questions you may as well not post anything. I think Leupold has lost most of its following here because of failed erector systems. Regardless of any features or how great of glass any manufacturers scopes are, if they won't hold zero or track as they should, they have failed at their primary function.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1beaver_shooter, 2003and2013, 1moredeer, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 61 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,450
Posts18,471,039
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.