-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I've hunted with Mike's Outfitting the past three years and am booked for two more.

I think he does a consistently great job with very nice bears.

He also has a very nice lodge for the hunters to stay in with good food, hot showers, comfy beds and a nice place to practice with your bow if you are archery hunting.

One thing I really like about Mike's set up is he hunts out of ground blinds so you can hunt comfortably rain, snow or whatever and that sold me after spending several miserable days in a treestand in the rain on a previous hunt.

He also shoots big bears and some big colored bears.

Went 6 for 6 last year with two being over 20 inch skulls, two over 19" and two over 18".

Biggest body weights were 400 lbs. and 360 lbs which are very accurate weights.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Those are very big bears. Many that come off of Vancouver Island don’t make that cut.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mike Noles, dba Conman's Guide Service, near Phelps Lake in Hyde Co., NC, does good on stand hunts for big black bears.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
North Country Lodge in Maine. Outstanding peopel and accommodations. Amazing country. Highly recommend

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Buster
Mike Noles, dba Conman's Guide Service, near Phelps Lake in Hyde Co., NC, does good on stand hunts for big black bears.

Buster, forgive me for asking but “Conman’s” guide service?

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by Buster

Buster, forgive me for asking but “Conman’s” guide service?

Yes sir, one of the best in the business, despite the questionable moniker, lol.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
My son informed me this weekend that he wants to hunt black bear. He is 12 and has taken 9 deer thus far so he is not overly experienced, but he's not a brand new rookie either. I live in South Carolina so getting up into the Northeast would likely be cheaper and easier for me, but, depending on price, I am not opposed to going to western Canada or the NW of the U.S.

Ideally, the hunt would take place in June so that he could be out of school, but we might also consider something in May.

Please let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks!

Dan

Go in the fall; the hide will be better. Also, find out from your outfitter when the best (size/ hide quality) bears are taken, and go then.

Don't let school interfere with the boy's education.

Interesting. I’ve always felt spring bears had better hides. I’ve only shot 3, all from Canada (Ont & MB), and they all had wonderful hides.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
New Brunswick Ca has a spring season may-mid June if I recall correctly. I think its pretty much over by the time school is out. The place I went to only did evening sits, from around 3pm to 10pm, so if the cabin has wifi your son could do remote learning in morning if offered and then sit for the evening hunt. When I have gone I could get enough computer time in that I didn't even have to take time from work.

In the NE many of the fall seasons are early so the hair hasn't really fully come in and of course the bears have all summer to get rub spots etc. the two I shot in the NB spring season has nice coats and made good rugs.

I saw a good number of bears both times, usually more than one per day, but nothing really big, a normal spirng male would be ~200lb a real biggie 300lb, every now and then someone shoots a big bear but its not as common as a lot of the guides would have you believe.

If you do Canada in the spring take bug protection seriously.

If your looking for a trophy look at NC. there are some serious big bears there.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

246 members (1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 1beaver_shooter, 32 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,113
Posts18,483,440
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.