Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Installed a Timmney trigger in a Interarms Mark X action. I'm estimating the engagement surface of the sear to the cocking piece is about .025" to .030". which is a lot less that that of the original trigger. Is .025" a safe amount of contact? What is a proper amount of engagement between the cocking piece and the sear? The trigger works well and the firing pin will not release without pulling the trigger. I did email Timmney and asked if I needed a taller sear and the response was it should be ok. I just wonder if the person answering the questions really reads and understands the question. Input from you experienced gunsmiths is very much appreciated. Thanks, Gary

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grab your rubber hammer and beat all over the action a bit simulating a drop or a hard fall and see what happens. Don't forget the bolt handle. Sounds a little thin to me but some take-up doesn't bother me so long as it's smooth and consistent.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
25 thou is equal to or more than a lot of other modern triggers. Perform some drop and impact tests and you will gain confidence with the timney system

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I calculated the PSI on itty-bitty engagement once an it was astounding. You need a good steel to withstand that, like the steel in a Timney

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I would call Timney.

I had an HVA with an overly thick action web, wouldn’t allow enough sear contact. Timney sent another part but I didn't like it. I ended up cutting some material off the top of the trigger housing to allow more sear contact. Worked well.

DF

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If I recall the trigger disengages from levers within, not pulling down from the cocking piece like original.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're right, but you still need enough engagement the cocking piece to handle tolerances,no?

Which explains a lot.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Filing some material from the top of the aluminum trigger housing will allow the unit to ride higher, exposing more of the sear for better engagement with the striker.

This worked well with my HVA, a type of Mauser. Mausers tend to vary a lot, so one has to adapt to the variations.

DF

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
The height is pretty much dictated by the cross pin through the action. Filing some off the top rear of the housing might raise it a touch but would also move it a touch foreward as well as it pvots on the cross pin. I also did all the drop and impact tests and it has held so I guess I will stop worring about it. Thank you all for your input.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Filing some material from the top of the aluminum trigger housing will allow the unit to ride higher, exposing more of the sear for better engagement with the striker.

This worked well with my HVA, a type of Mauser. Mausers tend to vary a lot, so one has to adapt to the variations.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Thunder_child
The height is pretty much dictated by the cross pin through the action. Filing some off the top rear of the housing might raise it a touch but would also move it a touch foreward as well as it pvots on the cross pin. I also did all the drop and impact tests and it has held so I guess I will stop worring about it. Thank you all for your input.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

I think it raises the sear more than moving it forward, although I see your point.

Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do to make it work.

DF

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (01Foreman400, 1minute, 007FJ, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,709
Posts18,513,950
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.