Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I forgot to add a guy started a droving service a few years back for $50.00 he will drive your car accross the bay bridge for ya....he is quite busy.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never had a fear of heights, used to be a cliff climber, but my ex was terrified of heights. Took her to Black's Beach in Cali once and I've never seen her so pale. Another time driving over the Continental Divide where the side of the road drops off to nothing...
Another time in Tulum, Mex., she turned white as a ghost.
I always wanted to hang glide, but as of yet, have never had the opportunity...

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Living on Virginia's Eastern Shore, hitting both bridges is sometimes a necessity. I have seen winds so gusty that there was green water sloshing on to the bay bridge tunnel down south, which often gets closed due to high winds, in degree (trucks first, of course). Every so often a big truck F's up and goes over, recently, a guy lived, which was unusual.

What gets me about that one, and the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, is the absolute utter inevitability that moron tourists will slow down to 30 mph while driving through the tunnel, so damn aggravating!!!

The Annapolis bridge can get tricky in a tiny car over the expanded metal part. I have felt the car gust upwards a little going over that in a high wind, coincidentally at the same time that there was an icy rain and spitting snow falling. That wadded me up just a little, other wise, I just drive over it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've had a few bridges that made me nervous the first few times I crossed them, I think mostly because I was driving a semi and had a much better view of just how high up I was lookind over the railing, combined with the reality that a 3 or 4' tall railing was not going to be very effective at stopping an 80,000 lb, 13' 6" truck from going over the side if I screwed up. A few of these I did later in a car and realized you can't see over the side from that height and thus have no idea how high up you really are.

First ones that spring to mind were a couple on I-80 in western PA near Emlenton and Clarion. The Emlenton bridge is 270' up, but it looks real narrow coming down the mountain at about 70 mph towards it in a big truck.

The Blue Water Bridge on I-94 crossing from Sarnia, ON to Port Huron, MI is a little disconcerting too, particularly when you sit on it for an hour or two waiting in line for customs as it sways while you look over the railing at the water 200+' below.

The Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel never bothered me, I thought it was pretty cool.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad

That's a good one!

Didja jump up and down on it a few times? Maybe grab a rail and try to shake the bridge?

Geno

Oh, you can bet I'd play this one as much as possible.

I found a pic of the Bridge at McKinneysburg

https://bridgehunter.com/ky/pendleton/browning/

They tore it down about 10 years ago and there's a new one just downstream that is all steel and concrete. It's no dang fun. They had to modify the roads on both sides for miles to get the steel girders moved into place.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
As a bridge engineer responsible for maintaining them I love em, they pay the bills. You'd be surprised at just how strong bridges built in the last 50 years are. I've seen some crazy impacts from everything from mobile homes to drilling rigs and the girders are barely damaged.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

I always hate suddenly losing control when driving over bridges but i always wear my seatbelt so i wont fall out the hole it tears in the truck floor and that keeps me from falling 60 ft into the water. smirk

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
None of you had to read the story in school by one of the so called great qqeerr authors about a persons fear of bridges?

Well, supposedly, according to my dumbassed dimocrap english teacher, it really was a fear of "crossing over" in life.

Sheesh. We got fed a lot of crap in school. Some of us swallowed it, djs.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chesapeake Bay Bridge is on record as one of the scariest. Crossed it one time at 0200 hrs. on my bike during a Class 3/4 ish hurricane. Memorable .

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by jaguartx

I always hate suddenly losing control when driving over bridges but i always wear my seatbelt so i wont fall out the hole it tears in the truck floor and that keeps me from falling 60 ft into the water. smirk

Around 25 - 30 years ago a local man had his vehicle break down while crossing the twin bridges on US-41 over the Ohio River between IN and KY. As I recall local news reported witnesses said the man was on foot outside his stranded vehicle on the bridge trying to get it going again when he was struck by another passing vehicle which knocked him over the side rail and down into the river. The river was up pretty high with a lot of debris and flowing a good bit faster than normal at the time. Witnesses said they believed he might have survived the initial fall as it looked like he was trying to wave, swim, or something as his arms were flailing around as he floated away down stream and out of sight. News report also stated that witnesses said it looked he was wearing a 'puffer' style down insulated jacket that likely helped him stay afloat longer than he probably would have. Don't recall hearing if his body was ever found.

IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by skinner
Wow, I’m relieved. My last name is Bridges. I was beginning to believe somebody was scared of me.

Youre lucky.

We had a high school bus driver and assistant football coach. Nice old man everybody loved whose name was Dick Skinner.

Last edited by jaguartx; 07/29/18.

I Dindo Nuffin
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Any bridge that is not privately owned has to have an inspection done every 2 years based on the National Bridge Inspection Standards (NBIS). This inspection shows deficiencies and if they are not addressed can result in weight posting or closure. Weighted structures are a natural aging process of structures and is perfectly normal. For any modern structure to collapse there has to be some blatant issues with materials, installation or severe lack of maintenance.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You never see most of the bridges you drive over on a daily basis.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by gregintenn
You never see most of the bridges you drive over on a daily basis.

True, we maintain thousands of bridge size pipe which for us starts at 54".

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The only bridges I get any sort of uneasiness crossing has been the St Paul, MN High Bridge and the Ira Bong bridge going into Superior, WI. For whatever reason I get a little tightening in the gut going over them.

The I-35W bridge gave me an uneasy feeling the first time I passed over it after it was rebuilt, I drove over it twice the day it collapsed and responded to its fall. We were initially in a triage support role so did not get into the immediate collapse site. The brother of a buddy rode the bridge down and later worked on the replacement.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Had a friend in HS who's dad painted the dang thing when it was built, hanging over the bay in a bosun's chair basically. Safety was a bit different in the late 60's than it is now!

[Linked Image]

It was a pretty special bridge when built:

"In 1970, it won an award of merit for long span bridge from the American Institute of Steel Construction.[11] The five-lane bridge featured the longest continuous box girder in the world[10] until it was surpassed by the Shibanpo Yangtze River Bridge in Chongqing, China in 2008.[12] The bridge is the third largest orthogonal box in the country – the box is the center part of the bridge, between piers 18 and 21 over the main shipping channel. "

I guess there's folks that go around through Imperial Beach and out the Coronado spit to get there from SD. HazMat trucks have to make the long drive too. I remember before it was built we took the ferry over there, I'm not sure but they might run a couple for tourist trade now.

I walked on this one before it came down, sometime in '99-'00. Pretty cool walking out on that thing, LONG way down!

[Linked Image]

"The Kinzua Bridge or the Kinzua Viaduct (/ˈkɪnzuː/,[4] /-zuːə/) was a railroad trestle that spanned Kinzua Creek in McKean County in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. The bridge was 301 feet (92 m) tall and 2,052 feet (625 m) long. Most of its structure collapsed during a tornado in 2003. "

"On completion, the bridge was the tallest and longest railroad bridge in the world and was advertised as the "Eighth Wonder of the World".[5][11"

Cool stuff bridges, they even inspire some cool songs

[Linked Image]

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Driving across bridges never has scared me. I have motorcycled a few that made me uneasy. I about schidt myself walking on this one. My wife laughed at me.

https://royalgorgebridge.com/

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
If a person doesn't like crossing a bridge in a car, I imagine that feeling what it is like when a freight train hits a bridge at 70mph would be enough to do those in who even have a mild phobia. Shaking and wobbling is a mild feeling in comparison. There are several on my territory that have been known to leave newbies with their fingernails in the conductors desk.

pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I walked on this one before it came down, sometime in '99-'00. Pretty cool walking out on that thing, LONG way down!

[Linked Image]

"The Kinzua Bridge or the Kinzua Viaduct (/ˈkɪnzuː/,[4] /-zuːə/) was a railroad trestle that spanned Kinzua Creek in McKean County in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. The bridge was 301 feet (92 m) tall and 2,052 feet (625 m) long. Most of its structure collapsed during a tornado in 2003. "

"On completion, the bridge was the tallest and longest railroad bridge in the world and was advertised as the "Eighth Wonder of the World".[5][11"

Geno

Though my fear gets at me in a car, I was on this one too. When I lived in Coudersport it had already blown down. But they now have an outlook built with glass floor. Its awesome! I recommend anyone in the area stop on and see it.

Last edited by pahick; 07/29/18.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by shaman

That's a good one!

Didja jump up and down on it a few times? Maybe grab a rail and try to shake the bridge?

Geno

Oh, you can bet I'd play this one as much as possible.
I found a pic of the Bridge at McKinneysburg

https://bridgehunter.com/ky/pendleton/browning/

They tore it down about 10 years ago and there's a new one just downstream that is all steel and concrete. It's no dang fun. They had to modify the roads on both sides for miles to get the steel girders moved into place.

Photographer needs to correct his dates. Center span of the old McKinneysburg bridge went down the river night of 01 March 1997 during "The Flood of '97". Was replaced several years later. The first photo in that series was actually the old "blue bridge" between downtown Falmouth and Shoemakertown, which has since been replaced as well.

The size and construction of the new bridge at McKinneysburg re-kindled local rumors that there were still plans to bring a new interstate segment through the county. Interesting that a old wooden floored, single lane bridge, in the middle of nowhere, would be replaced with a modern two lane bridge with two full length, full size shoulders that potentially support four lanes of traffic.

The video of the Tacoma Narrows bridge collapse was phenomenal ! Hard to believe or understand the magnitude of the oscillation without seeing the film.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 77 invisible), 3,059 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,228
Posts18,485,631
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.