Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RJM
...and a question...how come there are now J-frames without the IL?

Can you imagine how many more guns from their "Classic" series Smith would have sold if they had left the IL out...

Exactly.

Their justification for offering some J-Frames without is because they are hammerless (fully enclosed hammer, DAO), and the hammerless feature is thought by their attorneys to be enough of a safety in itself to justify leaving off the key lock feature.

As soon as I recently discovered that the 442 was still offered without the key lock, I purchased one, and wouldn't have had they not offered it that way. Yes, imagine indeed how many more sales they'd have if they stopped adding that feature to their line of revolvers.

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Gibby
I have two with the lock. A Model 60 3" and a 686 Plus. Both .357's . They both have been shot a lot.

Never had a problem.

I would prefer them not to have the lock, but I do not loose any sleep over it.

Like someone else said, they still are better than any Ruger. (at least when it comes to the trigger)

Note: I shoot only midrange loads in the Model 60.
Most of the time when it's reported that one locked up while shooting it's been either a scandium or aluminum framed gun shooting a hard kicking round.

That is what I have heard too.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Taffin has written a few times that the lock was here to stay. I wasn't going away. Get used to it. Get over it.

Yet S&W makes a few models without the lock as has been mentioned, called a pro series, j frames with no lock. Remington totally did away with their damn J lock. Springfield Armory was locking 1911's, they stopped doing it. Ruger did it for only a short time & stopped. It can go away.

Why can't S&W just go on & be done with it? It makes no sense. Who is going to complain that isn't already complaining about guns in general? Their customers, & maybe some returning customers would dance in the street.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by gunzo
Taffin has written a few times that the lock was here to stay. I wasn't going away. Get used to it. Get over it.

Yet S&W makes a few models without the lock as has been mentioned, called a pro series, j frames with no lock. Remington totally did away with their damn J lock. Springfield Armory was locking 1911's, they stopped doing it. Ruger did it for only a short time & stopped. It can go away.

Why can't S&W just go on & be done with it? It makes no sense. Who is going to complain that isn't already complaining about guns in general? Their customers, & maybe some returning customers would dance in the street.

If S&W did away with a "safety feature" and someone's child got their hands on that newer, less safe pistol and killed themselves or another child, it would be a slam dunk for a multi-million dollar settlement for any sleazy lawyer.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger includes highly collectible padlocks and accompanying cable as needed with every one of their firearms, along with instructions for use. I'd buy a S&W with no internal lock if it had a padlock with the S&W logo on it...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Ruger includes highly collectible padlocks and accompanying cable ...

Get the complete set!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RufusG

Get the complete set!

I've got a drawer in my dresser jam packed with, in original wrapper, cable padlocks, bearing names of various gun manufacturers. LOL. One day I'll cash in big with this vast collection of gun company logo-bearing cable locks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RufusG

Get the complete set!

grin I'm workin' on it!

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don’t like, or use locks. My handguns stay in their boxes, locked in one of the sales.

Sam......

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I don’t like, or use locks. My handguns stay in their boxes, locked in one of the sales.

And contain a lock that has been demonstrated to tie up the revolver, over and over...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I currently own 2 S&W revolvers. Both made in the 1970s.

The lust for anything newer just isn't there...

I see and enjoy all of the cool photos various guys post. But I'm good with what I got.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If it never locked up would your son have installed the PLUG? If not, why even order the plug?

You can remove the internal lock but still leave the key in place. Gun will look no different externally.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If it never locked up would your son have installed the PLUG? If not, why even order the plug?

You can remove the internal lock but still leave the key in place. Gun will look no different externally.

i have one smith with the keylock. I removed the internal, and that solved the potential problem on a 29.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by ronc
Originally Posted by deflave
Yousa.

Never seen one lock. That sucks.

That's what Miculek said.

What did you think Miculek would say?

Was he truthful or loyal to the company that cuts him a paycheck?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Savuti
And if you start a thread about lock problems on the S&W forum you will be ostracized and the thread will be locked or deleted.
They don't want to hear it!

I don’t still use the words to describe the idiots that run that board.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

237 members (338reddog, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 34 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,245
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.