Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
tc_tom Offline OP
OP Offline
T
As the title says my wife are headed to Utah in mid to late September. We will start Arches and head towards Capitol reef. We have been to Zion and Bryce Canyon. We hope to have time to get Monument Valley but we will only have a week. Any recommendations on don't miss sites?

Thanks in advance
Tom

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

September in Utah !!!!!!!!! awesome time to be here

Car rental ? your own ride ?

Leave Moab headed south to Blanding..take Hwy 95 west to Hanksville

Wanna see some of the biggest mule deer bucks on the planet ?

Henry Mtns........what ya driving again ? graded BLM roads with lots of sharp rocks

Bison also there......450+ head...camera & binos a must ! roads run to 10500'...Notum Rd access

elevation sensitive ? Capitol Reef is 7000' Hike the Grand Wash right off Hwy 24 south side

Pay attention to weather & T/storms...flash floods very common in Sept !!!!

Torrey........cool place...hippies & tree huggers...Hwy 12 south to Boulder....Burr Trail also very kool

You could spend a week in Torrey...Boulder...Escalante...be sure to drive the 'Hog's Back'

Boulder Mtn very rugged & rough.......excellent fishing if you can get there....either ATV..horse...hike

feel free to PM me......pic......north end Capitol Reef.......Henry's on skyline.........

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That guy gets around. I saw him at the Oregon coast yesterday.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the Moab area, consider also Dead Horse Point State Park and Grandview and Green River overlooks in Canyonlands. Expect Arches NP to be very crowded. For late Sept, I would consider the fall aspens on Boulder Mtn, and the aspens and maples above Provo.
Laurent Martres has a very good series of photography guidebooks for the southwest, including southern Utah. https://www.amazon.com/Photographing-Southwest-Vol-1-Southern-Utah/dp/0916189236/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1533139665&sr=8-3&keywords=laurent+martres&dpID=51P4he682GL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

T
tc_tom Offline OP
OP Offline
T
We will be Ford super crew 4x4 so a lot of places would be accessible short of full off-road trails. I don't want to risk paint or hard parts as it is my daily driver. We were there in June -July 2 years ago. We left Bryce one morning in route to Monument Valley racing thunderstorms all the way. We had torrential rains when we were at Capitol Reef so we keep moving. We did have lunch at Dukes in Hanksville. Very very good. When we got to Monument Valley the storms and darkness were about forty five minutes behind us so we took a few pics and started towards Colorado and the trip home.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

great......you're in a 4x4 pick up.......so you won't look like a tourist... grin

except for the outta state plate.......take the Notum Road loop around the Burr Trail

There is a B&B in Notum directly west of the Henry Mtn access road......my fav's listed

Burr Trail.......Henry's.......Capitol Reef......Boulder Mtns.......Boulder town...Teasdale

Hwy 12 scenic route.........I live about 2 hrs north of all these places

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

never stayed here............

https://www.sunlit-oasis.com/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
tc_tom Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Tika and Red Rabbit thank you for the responses.

Tika where is the canyon in the picture above? Sunlit-oasis looks very nice and is a possibility. We don't have our dates finalized. Its going to be hard to see all that we want in one week. I retired on November 1 and took a new full time job 17 days later. I went from 4 weeks vacation to 2.

Red Rabbit I am jealous of your Photography Skills. I just don't have an eye for composition. My wife is very good at composition but doesn't want to deal with the camera.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by tc_tom
Tika and Red Rabbit thank you for the responses.

Tika where is the canyon in the picture above? Sunlit-oasis looks very nice and is a possibility. We don't have our dates finalized. Its going to be hard to see all that we want in one week. I retired on November 1 and took a new full time job 17 days later. I went from 4 weeks vacation to 2.

Red Rabbit I am jealous of your Photography Skills. I just don't have an eye for composition. My wife is very good at composition but doesn't want to deal with the camera.

Those pics are along the Burr Trail.....

Henry Mtn's on skyline......last surveyed range in the lower 48

My nipples get hard just seeing & especially be on or near them...... blush

I use a budget Rebel T6 w/10-18mm lense seems to be my favorite

no where near the skills shown by Red Rabbit !

These Pics are on the Henry's.......again you can easily spend a week in and around

Boulder...CR NP......Fish Lake......1000 Lake Mtn

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1234, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,588 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,713
Posts18,514,085
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.