Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
NVhntr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The wife wants to take a trip to Maine this year in mid to late September. We've never been there before.
Acadia Park is on the agenda, what else should we do with about a week to kill?
We haven't decided whether we will rent a motor-home or stay in motels & B&B's.
Your thoughts?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Drive the coastline, the fall is the best time to do so IMO so your timing is pretty dang close. Tourism will be winding down so the little coastal towns shouldn't be to crowded and make sure to get some of that vaunted Maine seafood, it's worth every penny IMO.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
put her on a bus
give her $100 spending money and a camera
wish her well
go fishing

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go to Mooselookmeguntic lake and camp.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Bar harbor,thundering hole.Roadside lobster meal. grin

Last edited by coobie; 08/01/18.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Acadia will still be busy during that time frame but it's still worth the trip. Lot's to see and do there. If you want to fish a bit, rent a canoe or kayak and troll streamer flies on the Southwest Harbor end of Long Pond. That cove gets some huge landlocked salmon in it during that time of year. Males will have big kyped jaws as they're getting ready to spawn.

Further Downeast you go, the quieter it is. I'd recommend Eastport as well. It's a beautiful little city right on the ocean. Canada is just across the bay. There are some good whale watching boats that may still be going out by then.

If you want to move away from the coast, I'd head out the Golden Rd out of Millinocket. You can access Baxter State Park from there. Lots of nice lakes, ponds, rivers, etc., and a healthy population of moose around. Maine is a beautiful State and you won't have any problems finding stuff to see and do.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You might look in to some white water rafting. We've had some real good trips with this outfit over the years. Try to schedule a trip when they are doing a big release of water from the lakes. Outstanding good fun!

https://www.northcountryrivers.com/

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
If you drive you might want to go through the Adirondaks in New York.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Boothbay Harbor is beautiful. Easy drives to Pemaquid Point lighthouse (see the Maine quarter), Freeport and L.L. Bean, Camden, and even Portland is only 1 1/2hrs. down the road, although you could stop there on the way to or from. Owls Head transportation museum if you like old cars and planes, and everything there runs.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Was just up there for a couple days, wish I had had more time to look around. But my time was very well spent meeting up with campfire folk.

Kittery Trading Post is great, LL Beans also. Lots of shopping around both for the wife if she enjoys that. I brought a gun back from the Cabela's in Scarborough, one I'd been wanting for a dozen years or so.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll add that South of Augusta is kinda Maine, in a Massachusetts kinda way. At least that's the way I grew up there thinking. I guess it all depends on what you want to see.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Wife and I just went at the end of June. So first stop is at the Kittery trading post at the bottom of Maine, 3 floors of outdoor and hunting bliss. We stayed at bar harbor and spent a couple days at Acadia park. Thunder hole was nice, bar harbor is basically a stones throw from Acadia park that Cadillac mountain is in. So a must 100% do is to watch the sunrise atop Cadillac mountain absolutely beautiful . We did a nature cruise that was awesome Definitely get a slice of their blueberry pie (Maine has the largest wild blueberry patch in the states ) and if you are in bar harbor early eat at the great Maine breakfast

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The Owl's Head Transportation Museum is a great take. You can stay in Camden on the coast in the same vicinity. The Fryeburg Fair on the western side of the state opens Sept 30th. That's on the New Hampshire border in the Sebago Lake/Saco River area and a short, scenic drive from North Conway, NH in the White Mountains. I'd stay in Jackson, NH at the Eagle Mountain House if I were attending the fair. Moosehead Lake in Greenville and Rockwood is beautiful and the seaplane fly in happens in early September. As mentioned earlier, don't miss the Kittery Trading Post and I hear there's a good lobster roll available at Red's in Wiscasset. Have a great trip.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
NVhntr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys, lots of good ideas to check out.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check out the schooner Olad in Camden. It’s a cool tour of Penobscot bay. Get a Lobster roll at Reds Eats in Wiscasset. Holy smokes that’s some fine eats. As a matter of fact, I never got a bad lobster roll at any place we stopped at. Musta ate lobster in some form or fashion and blueberry pie every day for a week.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I liked the saw mill museum in Augusta, really well done. Until Labor Day is passed, the coast is crowded.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Bar Harbor is just across the Bay from Us. I have done all listed and all good Ideas. I would pick a nice day and add a Whale Watch out of Bar Harbor to Your list. A Day trip to Moosehead Lake is well worth it that time of Year, great colors and pretty Country. Add the scenic Train ride out of Ellsworth as a possibility

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
II just wanna get up their in the fall and deer hunt in t32md.
Hopefully 2-4" of fresh tracking snow happens.
See some relatives that matter.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Food-- As stated previously, Red's Eats in Wiscasset has great lobster rolls. The lines are almost always very long. Just down the street from Kittery Trading Post is Bob's Clam Hut which has some of the best fried belly clams around. They are dramatically better than the clam strips that you get out of Maine. If you go to LL Bean (and you should), Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster Company 36 Main St, South Freeport, ME 04078 is fairly close and a nice spot since it is right on the water.
Good Maine seafood is no longer cheap but it is wonderful. I am heading up there for some fishing in 2 weeks and will definitely fill up as much as possible. Enjoy your trip.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by renegade50
II just wanna get up their in the fall and deer hunt in t32md.
Hopefully 2-4" of fresh tracking snow happens.
See some relatives that matter.

gonna go hang out with your Uncle Pete???

Didnt he help with moon landing after he liberated france

Hell of a guy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (219DW, 1936M71, 1badf350, 222Sako, 1234, 10Glocks, 49 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,437
Posts18,489,382
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.