Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DMc
They've got Texas suckin hind teat. Go Frogs!

Hope the Hornfrogs have a good season this year.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To Hell with the nfl! But, I still enjoy college football. Can't wait.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes sir Okie!!!
#18, see you in there as well.
My early take,
Bama has 2 conference losses in them, maybe 3. They loss 10 defensive players to NFL. No disrespect intended, my daughter is a current student.
Auburn or State will be in ATL representing the West. Most improved Tx A&M. South Carolina wins East, extremely underrated.
OU is well above anyone in Conference, by far. Most yr over yr improvement--Texas
PSU, Wisconsin, OSU battle it out. Gut says Penn St.
Clemson................................, VTech, Miami & FSU
PAC 12, much more depth than recent past.

Can't wait, love it. Will not watch a single NFL game, notta

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'd prefer Texas not be in that list until they prove they belong there. Lot of question marks for them, particularly on offense. Georgia is absolutely killing it recruiting this year and probably ends up with the top class when it's all said and done.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Boise State.....Go Broncos!!!

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I've pretty much written football, at all levels, off of my agenda.

Yep.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve given up on football.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
University of Washington Huskies

Go Dawgs

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’m pretty excited as a Purdue fan for this season , there was only one way to go and that was up...new coach has made big improvements fast. Basketball has been great and we have high hopes there too .

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 87Ford
University of Washington Huskies

Go Dawgs

Got yourselves a good coach. Congrats.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My early take,
Bama has 2 conference losses in them, maybe 3.

LOL. Twirl the biggest 2 or 3 tumbleturds out of that horsechit and tell me who they represent laugh

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
They aren't deserving of my time!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve given up on football.

^^THIS.

Screw all of 'em....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by shootem
My early take,

LOL. Twirl the biggest 2 or 3 tumbleturds out of that horsechit and tell me who they represent laugh

My humble opinion only. No injuries to key players, prior to head to head game, put me down for losses to:
Auburn, State
Injuries to Bama offence in back field in fall camp, add Louisville

The only turds in this conversation reside in you. With Auburn, it's AU oline better than your d/line. Pin you loss to State due to their Senior laden lines being SEC caliber starters with 4-5 yrs experience, expect 3 d/line in front end of draft, along with 2 o/line mid level draft picks. Along with senior qback, and 2 tight ends with legit NFL possibility who will see much more attention from this staff.
And I'm smoking dope on Louisville, but Bobby is going to test the ever living crap out of your back side. The qb knows his system, and is capable. The staff turnover for Bama has been huge over the past 3 years, there's a chance in the opener for Bobby to exploit.

I'm ain't pulling a Joe Nameth here, but I know SEC ball, and I like my chances. Auburn is legit as is State. I'll be in the stands at both games, just because I like good ball. Hoping I don't have to eat crow!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
No more football till the players show respect.

Quite a few of us feel the same way. A lot of taking my grandson and his dad out hunting and fishing from now on is our plan. I've had more than enough of tribal dances in end zones and whining goons.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go Bama. Only team in the nation that can come in 2nd overall......and it is considered a losing season.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Sharecropper
Originally Posted by shootem
My early take,

My humble opinion only. No injuries to key players, prior to head to head game, put me down for losses to:
Auburn, State
Injuries to Bama offence in back field in fall camp, add Louisville

And I'm smoking dope on Louisville, but Bobby is going to test the ever living crap out of your back side. The qb knows his system, and is capable. The staff turnover for Bama has been huge over the past 3 years, there's a chance in the opener for Bobby to exploit.

I'm ain't pulling a Joe Nameth here, but I know SEC ball, and I like my chances. Auburn is legit as is State. I'll be in the stands at both games, just because I like good ball. Hoping I don't have to eat crow!

Auburn might win 8 or 9 and then crumble as usual.

https://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2018/08/mobile_native_danny_sheridan_a.html

It's Namath btw.

Last edited by Bama_Rick; 08/02/18.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Never downplay Bobby. But Louisville ain't in the SEC and a new QB will have his drawers full against Alabama. Auburn always a possibility; see last season. State in 2018? Nope. Alabama injuries in scrimmage is not good news but replacements are 1st string at other schools. Coaching changes outside the head job seem to work out in general. And for smoking dope......Tua will make a sharpie indelible mark on Bama history. The smoke tells me he wins the starting position and uses his receivers to the best of their abilities. Doubt 2 conference losses will happen this year. Doubt 2 losses period in regular season. A dual QB season with more time to Tua and surprises from Jalen.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
College Football Playoff remains playground for elite through four seasons

Dan Wolken, USA TODAY

[Linked Image]

When Alabama was selected to last year’s College Football Playoff despite failing to win the SEC and possessing zero wins over top-15 teams, it confirmed that the so-called playoff is really more of an invitational.

And the message to national championship aspiring programs couldn’t have been more clear: Elites only, please. Insurgents need not apply.

In the end, Alabama made the decision non-controversial. It beat ACC champion Clemson in the semifinals and SEC champion Georgia in the championship game, allowing the CFP selection committee to beat its chest once again about “getting it right” as Nick Saban hoisted the trophy for a fifth time in the past nine years.

But the lasting impact of 2017 will be the feeling that for all the changes in college football to supposedly make the game more equitable, the traditional powers have only strengthened their vise grip on future titles.

In four years of the Playoff, four teams make up 11 of the 16 appearances: Alabama 4, Clemson 3, Ohio State and Oklahoma 2.

And as the 2018 season begins, it would not be a mild surprise if the four teams involved in the next Playoff don’t come from among that group again. Each are ranked in the top five of the preseason Amway Coaches Poll.

No. 4 Georgia is one of five teams - along with Oregon, Florida State, Michigan State and Washington - to make the field.

The pool of gate-crashers seems narrow at the moment. Certainly you could see an Auburn making the Playoff; a Miami or Notre Dame perhaps. If Southern California ever got its act together, it could represent the Pac-12. Maybe someone from among Michigan, Penn State or Wisconsin can figure out how to not only beat Ohio State in the Big Ten but avoid other losses. If Texas ever gets back to being Texas, certainly the Longhorns could join Oklahoma as a playoff-level program.

But as the committee showed us last year, its mind-set is oriented toward pedigree, which means the benefit of the doubt is going to go to the programs that look like they could actually win a title over the ones that might be more deserving based on résumé.

Maybe that’s not such a bad thing.

Nobody disputed scrappy, overachieving Michigan State making the 2015 Playoff because it had won the Big Ten, somehow going on the road and defeating a stacked Ohio State team head-to-head. But there was never a sense that the Spartans stacked up talent-wise enough to seriously threaten in the Playoff, a theory that was proved correct when they lost 38-0 to Alabama.

Same thing with Washington in 2016, which had done nothing wrong during its regular season but played a weak non-conference schedule and didn’t have to deal with a Pac-12 that was particularly strong. In the semifinals that year, the Huskies got an early touchdown on Alabama and couldn’t do much else in a 24-7 loss.

And this past year, the only realistic alternatives to Alabama would have been Southern California (a weak Pac-12 champion that never got much consideration), Ohio State (a pretty good team with a really, really ugly loss to Iowa the committee couldn’t get over) and unbeaten Central Florida out of the American Athletic Conference. Odds are, none of those three teams would have done what Alabama did in the Playoff, suffocating an excellent Clemson team and then having the depth to make adjustments and overcome Georgia in the final.

But that’s not the entire point here.

You’d be a fool to deny how it touched a nerve with the public that UCF, which went on to beat Auburn (the team that handed Alabama its lone loss) in the Peach Bowl, didn’t even get seriously considered by the selection committee.

Some of the outrage was a direct result of UCF aggressively branding itself “national champions,” paying out national championship bonuses to staff members, raising a national championship banner and even getting a special license plate commissioned by the Florida legislature, all things that created conversation and got people to dig their heels in on one side or the other.

But for a large number of college football fans, particularly outside the SEC footprint, there was also a very real question about the justice of it all. When you don’t even consider a team that won all of its games regardless of the schedule and instead give the final spot to a team that didn’t even win its division, much less its conference, that looks less like a playoff and more like a beauty pageant.

But at least now, the veneer is of for good. Whereas we suspected in Year 1 of the Playoff when Ohio State got the nod over TCU and Baylor that elite name brands would be the tiebreaker, we know it for sure now.

While there was little reason on paper to pick Alabama based on its collection of mediocre wins, the committee’s default setting was to reward the more established championship-level program over the Cinderella.

And that’s fine in a purely subjective process that doesn’t really pretend to be anything else, but it does raise a question about what it’s going to take for an outsider to win this thing.

Over the years, college football has been particularly unkind to upstarts, whether it was the great Boise State teams being unable to really crack the national championship picture or Alabama getting a few more votes than Oklahoma State to land in the 2010 BCS title game opposite LSU. Generally, if there’s a tough call to make, the blueblood has always gotten the nod.

That’s part of the reason why you have to go back to Florida in 1996 to find the last first-time national champion.

So it’s never really been equal opportunity, but at least when the Playoff began, there was a notion that adding to the postseason might lead to a little more chaos where a non-traditional team could stick its nose in and seize opportunity. Instead, it feels like the divide between the haves and have-nots has only hardened.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yeah, college
Eff the NFL!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

204 members (1_deuce, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 25 invisible), 1,974 guests, and 1,055 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,202
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.