Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Does anyone have a German shorthair that they use for waterfowl? Do they willingly retrieve in cold water without refusal? Upland hunting here in my part of NC is pretty much non-existent other than preserve birds which gets expensive and quite boring sometimes. I'm looking to replace my lab that I lost nearly 2 years ago that was one of the best I have ever shared a blind with but due to the excessive shedding, I don't want another lab. We have 2 young boys, 3 and 5 that need a companion to pal around in our 4 acres of woods with. Whatever we choose it needs to be good with kids and do well inside. I waterfowl hunt around 20-30 days per year along with several dove hunts throughout the season so that will be the main hunting a dog will see. I have really enjoyed the GSPs that I have hunted over but it was preserve birds and not waterfowl so I have no direct experience on how they would handle our typical winter conditions (upper 20s for lows and around 50 for highs). Last year was brutal for cold, the coldest I have ever seen for an extended period and hunting a short coated dog like a GSP wouldn't have been a wise choice.

I've looked into Boykins but getting a good one that will hunt seems to be a crap shoot. I considered GWP/Drathaars but local breeders are hard to come by in my limited research. I'm probably going to contact my nearest NAVHD chapter to see if they can refer me to any breeders in my area that have planned litters of GSP or GWP/Drathaar. Any info on the breed and how well they do for waterfowl is greatly appreciated.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
There is a reason and purpose for labs and going for repeated swims in the 20's and brutal cold are two of them. They are also reasons you will find very few using a GSP or Boykin for either. If I was a breeder of either, and knew you were going to use them in those conditions, I wouldn't sell you one.

Last edited by battue; 08/01/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by battue
There is a reason and purpose for labs and going for repeated swims in the 20's and brutal cold are two of them. They are also reasons you will find very few using a GSP or Boykin for either. If I was a breeder of either, and knew you were going to use them in those conditions, I wouldn't sell you one.

I'm not sure how you interpreted my post to mean that that was my intent but it certainly is not. In fact we almost never get those conditions, last year was very unusual for our area. Lakes and sounds frozen that many that have been around longer than myself at 39 had never seen. I'm asking about typical conditions which are upper 20s to low 30s for lows and 50s for highs. I'm fully aware a GSP is not as cold hardy as a Chessie or Lab but to be honest my lab wasnt as cold tolerant as some I've hunted over despite her heavy coat(for a lab anyway).

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad

how they would handle our typical winter conditions (upper 20s for lows and around 50 for highs). Last year was brutal for cold, the coldest I have ever seen for an extended period and hunting a short coated dog like a GSP wouldn't have been a wise choice.

That’s what I read and why I replied as I did.

You hunt Waterfowl 20-30 days a year, which would be fairly serious. And sometimes it will be in the 20’s and it could be brutal again in the future. You need a waterfowl Dog and not a GSP or Boykin. And a Boykin, being a Spaniel will probably shed more than a little.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll admit to being biased. I'd go Drahthaar. Properly trained including force fetch work and they'll do it all well. Love my first. No slam at all on other breeds but after being around 25-30 drahthaars in last 2 years I am amazed by them. Our local chapter has offered many training days. Check out vdd-gna.org for local breeders.

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
A Boykin will work well on the vast majority of the hunting opportunities that we have here. They are SUPER in the dove field. Consider going to a Boykin Spaniel Retriever Club field trial. You will meet lots of nice folks and learn a ton about the breed. That’s what I did, and that’s where I found the breeder that we got out Boykin from. Also, a neoprene vest will help a bit when the weather gets colder. I never hunted my Boykin in conditions that I had doubts about her handling.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh and not sure what state you live in, but if no local breeders, I'd drive across a few states to grab one from a good litter.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I’m not sure about the German Shorthair breeders, but the Carolinas has an abundance of good Boykin breeders.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The shorthair is the most popular breed in NAVHDA and is a very common one in MN, WI, ND, and SD where the temps the OP mentions are common during the waterfowl season. Waterfowl hunting is pretty common with our members and those with shorthairs use them for that purpose. Shorthairs overall are not the choice for large bodies of water where divers are the quarry but for 90% or more of waterfowl ing the shorthair works fine. The only real negative is they may become restless I a blind if things get slow but that is more an obedience issue than a breed one.

I've owned one shorthair but have had several "real" dogs like Griffons, Pudelpointers, and especially wirehairs. All have been used for waterfowl up until ice up with good results. They were allowed into the blind where they could get out of the wind and would have a wool or other water resistant item draped over them but that isn't any different than a neoprene vest which is often seen on labs in the same conditions.

It may be heresy but even the English Setters and the Pointer I own/owned are expected to and did handle waterfowl retrieving. I did not use them once ice formed but until then they all retrieved ducks, geese, pheasants, and crows in cold, wet conditions. I treated them the same as the versatile breeds though some individual dogs were less inclined to work as a non-slip retriever than others. It was just too ingrained in them to find birds rather than wait for them to come to us. They handled at least 90% of what the wirehairs did and one or two would break ice to retrieve if need be. Heck, the one did so to retrieve a limit of 15 coots as well as a couple of ducks.

The breeders I am familiar with would have no hesitation selling a pup to the OP if hearing the conditions it would be used. It is unlikely but the type of use would be more a factor as a non-slip retriever is not playing into the strengths of the breed. The dogs will do so well but there are other breeds which will be more natural at it. These are namely the retrieving, tolling, and flushing breeds in that arguable order. I personally would look at a toller but then I kind of like oddities. Whatever breed you decide on, look hard at pedigrees, what titles the ancestors have earned and in what type of field, and buy the best bloodline you can afford. It won't guarantee a great dog but it will help put the odds on your side.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
“Up until the ice sets in” or it gets brutal. The OP mentions the 20’s as his early morning normal and occasionally downright cold. That isn’t the place for a GSP, a Spanial, or an English Pointer to be going for repeated swims. And there is a difference between hunting a versatile breed on a cold day and asking them to make repeated swims on the same day. Friends hunt Pointers and Setters in the 20’s. They are on the move staying warm. They don’t ask them to go swimming and then sit around until something flys by.

An English Pointer doesn’t have enough hair on themselves to cover a tennis ball. In addition any of those Dogs that are in shape are muscle lean and lacking in fat insulation.

Of course you can do it, but I’m not about to send mine out into the big chop on a cold morning.

You don’t like Dog hair in the house is a weak excuse for a Waterfowl hunter. Swim out yourself once on a cold morning and see what you think about it. By the way, I’ve done it and once was enough. An average IQ GSP is most likely going to tell you the same.

A smart one will piss on your boots and head for the truck.

Last edited by battue; 08/02/18.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My GSP sheds like crazy. She leaves short, fine hairs all over the place? Also, she starts shivering and her teeth loudly chatter when the temp hits 49 F or below and she is dry. I have never had her retrieve water fowl.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by battue
“Up until the ice sets in” or it gets brutal. The OP mentions the 20’s as his early morning normal and occasionally downright cold. That isn’t the place for a GSP, a Spanial, or an English Pointer to be going for repeated swims. And there is a difference between hunting a versatile breed on a cold day and asking them to make repeated swims on the same day. Friends hunt Pointers and Setters in the 20’s. They are on the move staying warm. They don’t ask them to go swimming and then sit around until something flys by.

An English Pointer doesn’t have enough hair on themselves to cover a tennis ball. In addition any of those Dogs that are in shape are muscle lean and lacking in fat insulation.

Of course you can do it, but I’m not about to send mine out into the big chop on a cold morning.

You don’t like Dog hair in the house is a weak excuse for a Waterfowl hunter. Swim out yourself once on a cold morning and see what you think about it. By the way, I’ve done it and once was enough. An average IQ GSP is most likely going to tell you the same.

A smart one will piss on your boots and head for the truck.

Whatever.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
One can dress up a shot-putter in a tu-tu and they still won't be a ballerina.

You should stick to 4 paragraph posts on shotguns. At least you know a little re them. (Usually one will suffice, but whatever.)

Last edited by battue; 08/03/18.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
PLEASE do not try to make a GSP into a duck dog. They will do it as long as the action is FAST and they do not have to sit around for a few minutes and get cold. Stick with what works - get a LAB.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Desert and Sasha, you are pleading for common sense here. So be cautious of your expectations.

Some here even "allowed" their Non-Waterfowl canine hunters to be in the blind out of the wind and cold. Common sense will tell you who I would have "allowed" in the blind. While they shivered outside, I may have been so generous to give them something to drape over themselves. Then again maybe not, sometimes others have to experience things in order to have an appreciation.

But whatever, laugh

Last edited by battue; 08/03/18.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I generally try to stay out of these "What kind of dog posts" but I'm feeling it today. I won't get into what I think of other breeds mentioned here.

UNCCG, I haven't seen anything in your OP that makes me think anything other than get another Lab. Why try to make a dog into something he's not? I agree with Battue.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GSP's wouldn't be my choice for a waterfowl breed, and I have three of them at the moment. Having said that, there are GSP's that are close working NAVHDA style versatile dogs, and there are big-running horseback 'shooting' and 'all age' dogs that have a lot of English pointer blood in them. I much prefer the latter for my purposes, but if you are determined to use one primarily for waterfowl, make sure you get one from a breeder that specializes in that type of dog.

A fire-breathing all age dog is not going to enjoy sitting in a duck blind all day.

Chad Hines at Willow Creek Kennels in Little Falls, Minnesota has some nice dogs that like water. I am sure there are other good breeders in the east as well.

Also, some GSP's have a reasonably decent hair coat with longer hairs about an inch long with a bit of an undercoat. Others, especially the really white ones that run big, have coats very similar to English pointers. This is purely coincidence, no doubt. whistle All of my dogs have this light, thin, soft hair and it is basically for coloring the dog only. They are essentially naked.

This kind of hair has it's charms. They never get cockle burs or other crap stuck in them and it is easy to find the ticks when hunting woodcock. On the flip side, they will pretty much freeze solid if they get wet and stop moving.

As far as house dogs go, all of mine have been stellar. In fact, there is really only one suitable method for kenneling GSP's and that is directly on leather upholstery.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The stupidity on this forum continues to spread, impress and amuse all at the same time. WM81 wins this one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Having about 60 yrs in the duckblind and about 12 of them in northern MN, one of my best retrievers up there was a GPS(he was a marking fool you could have a half dozen ducks on the water and never have to give him a command), but only got a couple of weeks before ice up and then it was jump shooting creeks on snow shoes or skis and he couldn't keep up. I only kept him a couple of years and gave him to a friend in southern WI where he had a longer season.

I had a big Yellow lab that we hunted shore blinds on lake michigan, he' swim out of sight to retrieve a cripple and bust big breakers/surf to get to a downed bird.

An AWS that was still making retrieves at 14 on the PNW coastal estuaries and a GWHP that took over after the AWS finally passed. GWHP he did it all ducks and geese on the coastal estuaries, inland impoundments, and rivers, grouse, sharptails, pheasants, huns, quail and woodcock from the pacific coast to lake michigan and in the off season coyote hunting all over the southwest, he was one special dog. They were all my best friends and are dearly missed but that GWHP, will never be topped.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
They're certainly not as reliable as a lab for cold water retrieving but GSPs are one of the most versatile breeds out there.......
[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1Longbow, 2500HD, 1minute, 10Glocks, 1moredeer, 204guy, 53 invisible), 1,874 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,894
Posts18,498,029
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.