Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
This being the Fire' and all I'm surprised nobody's said Trump ..Ingwe......yet.

fixt!

Geno

LOL

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

No, David was not at all what you say he was. Read the Bible....

1 Samuel 27:8-9 (KJV)

8 "And David and his men went up, and invaded the Geshurites, and the Gezrites, and the Amalekites: for those nations
were of old the inhabitants of the land, as thou goest to Shur, even unto the land of Egypt.

9 And David smote the land, and left neither man nor woman alive, and took away the sheep, and the oxen, and the asses,
and the camels, and the apparel, and returned, and came to Achish."

So what did they all do to David to warrant such barbarous actions by David?
They were Canaanites who God had ordered the Hebrews to utterly destroy because of their sin.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
This being the Fire' and all I'm surprised nobody's said Trump ........yet.

Just give them time. I'm sure certain ones have thought it.

Bowsinger must not be posting on here anymore, or he would have put the Great Bolshevik, Abe Lincoln, on the list.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Let's not forget Larry Root.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Ya'll must all be racists and misogynists. All ya' picked were dead white males. Don't ya' know that any list of the ten top people must include at least 5 females and some blacks and hispanics? The Democrat Party orders it so! Never mind what anyone actually accomplished. We need diversitEE. In some universities today you can get a degree in English Literature without ever reading Shakespeare so what's wrong with Harriet Tubman or Elizabeth Warren, or even the real Pocahontas?.

Seriously, speaking of serendipity, what about the two Union army privates who found three cigars by a fence in Maryland in September, 1863? While one went to get matches to light the cigars, the other killed time by studying the paper the cigars were wrapped in. It turned out to be a copy of General Lee's orders to his generals. This intelligence allowed the Federals to fight the Battle of Antietam to at least a draw, claiming a victory. In other ramifications, Lee was forced to withdraw his army south, England and France decided there was not enough chance the south would win for them to recognize the Confederacy, and Lincoln proclaimed Antietam as enough of a victory to issue his Emancipation Proclamation. All because of three cigars.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Suetonius quoting Caesars soldiers says; "Julius Caesar was every woman's man and every man's woman".

Lincoln should figure in somewhere in the list but Jesus would top it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by coobie
NIKOLA TESLA(electric)

Few of the names listed are influential in a world wide, timeless fashion, but Christ, Tesla and Gutenberg affect every person every day...

Fact

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Larry The Cable Guy is still alive, right?

Guess we can't include him yet.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
In my life? ............

Jesus #1
My step father #2

J
JoeBob Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
In a list like that, it is really hard to mention any American. Our history is only 250 years or so and it would appear that our government is nothing special and if it ever was, it is headed down the schitter. So, all those American politicians and statesmen are nothing special. In another 250 Benjamin Franklin will have a wiki entry like someone like Francis Bacon and Thomas Jefferson will be like Horace Walpole. The Americans who will be remembered as having changed the world will be the guys like Henry Ford, Bill Gates, and Steve Jobs.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Originally Posted by ChetAF
Christopher Columbus

For discovering the Bahamas?

Yeah, among other things. Like most European explorers, he didn't really discover anything. (Can you really discover something if there are a few million natives already there?) But, over the course of his four voyages he also explored the north coast of South America and the mainland coast of Central America. He also 'found' several other Caribbean islands including Cuba.

In addition, he worked to establish permanent settlements in Hispaniola.

More than that, he documented his routes, took the information back to Europe and thereby played a very big part in the exploration and permanent settlement of the new world by Europeans.

When you consider the impact that has had on the entire world since that time, I would say he was pretty influential.

Colonization of the new world has had an impact on world history that influenced everything from the slave trade, to the world wars, to the potato famine, to the adoption of tobacco by most of the known world. There are many other impacts, but those are a few notable ones.

I am not saying he should be on top of the list, but certainly a notable mention.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Steve
I think Pasteur or the like needs to be included as well.

This^^^. And dont forget George Washington and the only country that ....

And Shakespear and lets kill all the lowyers.

Next year you can add The Don.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Ya'll must all be racists and misogynists. All ya' picked were dead white males. Don't ya' know that any list of the ten top people must include at least 5 females and some blacks and hispanics? The Democrat Party orders it so! Never mind what anyone actually accomplished. We need diversitEE. In some universities today you can get a degree in English Literature without ever reading Shakespeare so what's wrong with Harriet Tubman or Elizabeth Warren, or even the real Pocahontas?.

Seriously, speaking of serendipity, what about the two Union army privates who found three cigars by a fence in Maryland in September, 1863? While one went to get matches to light the cigars, the other killed time by studying the paper the cigars were wrapped in. It turned out to be a copy of General Lee's orders to his generals. This intelligence allowed the Federals to fight the Battle of Antietam to at least a draw, claiming a victory. In other ramifications, Lee was forced to withdraw his army south, England and France decided there was not enough chance the south would win for them to recognize the Confederacy, and Lincoln proclaimed Antietam as enough of a victory to issue his Emancipation Proclamation. All because of three cigars.

Ok, who invented burritos?

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by copperking81
Alex, Buddha, and Caesar all predate 2,000 years. But it's a good list none the less.

Maybe bump Jesus down for Trump smile

Not by a lot. Call it 2,500 to 2,300 if it makes you feel better.

If not for Christ we would have no Trump.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He proved that you wouldn't fall off the edge of the world by sailing west far past the Pillars of Hercules, that alone is pretty significant.

While I made a joke about it, I do wonder about the lesser known or acknowledged folks who had a huge influence on subsequent history by small deeds or accidents - "for want of a nail...".

Jesus gets the name recognition but wouldn't Paul get the credit for creating Christianity and the Christian Church? Jesus' actual teachings are widely praised but little followed throughout history, while the political organization that was the Christian Church obviously played a huge role in shaping Europe and the world.

It may be apocryphal, I don't know, but supposedly an English solder had Corporal Hitler in his sights in WWI but let him go. Talk about a big "oops!".

Lots of famous people have influenced the course of history and deserve their fame but I'm guessing a lot of different branches to what could have been were made by people we never heard of taking the wrong turn, or the right one.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Alexander predated the 2000 years by more than 3 centuries. He might have been 'influential' but the name great certainly doesn't apply.
He was a butcher who invaded many countries, killing the residents simply because his army was stronger. They had done nothing to him
and politics wasn't part of it. He just wanted the 'gory glory' by killing tens of thousands who couldn't defend themselves from him.
Genghis Khan did the same.

Biblical David was the same kind of ambitious conquering butcherous aashole as those you mention.
I don't recall his targeted victims doing anything to him to warrant such annihilation.

Of course there is the claim that God told him to do it so its ok, but numerous megalomaniacs have claimed inspiration from God.

He butchered butchers and asswholes. I hope Trump does the same. MAGA

I Dindo Nuffin
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Too bad we can't list living folks. Obama created the greatest number of gun sales in history :-)

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

No, David was not at all what you say he was. Read the Bible....

1 Samuel 27:8-9 (KJV)

8 "And David and his men went up, and invaded the Geshurites, and the Gezrites, and the Amalekites: for those nations
were of old the inhabitants of the land, as thou goest to Shur, even unto the land of Egypt.

9 And David smote the land, and left neither man nor woman alive, and took away the sheep, and the oxen, and the asses,
and the camels, and the apparel, and returned, and came to Achish."

So what did they all do to David to warrant such barbarous actions by David?

They worshipped the false prophet, as do certain "religious" cults today.

I Dindo Nuffin
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
George Washington, James Madison and Winston Churchill. They knock several of the others off of the chart.

George Washington as a captain started the French and Indian War or more properly named 7 years war. This created a war debt that England felt it needed to be reimbursed through taxation directed towards the colonies of New Britain. I don't think our Revolutionary War would have turned out had Washington not evaded capture during the early stages. He guided our nation at the right time. He also warned against the dangers of political factions and undue foreign involvement in his farewell address and this led our nation to be more isolationist and prosper till the right time.

James Madison was an incredibly great man. He is the man behind the Constitution. Although the Constitution is in some ways flawed, its better than anything prior and its adapted itself to many different situations. Madison was the guy who threaded the needle between the different American Nations and developed a document that unified our nation.

During the darkest times of World War II, where it looked much like the Nazis would win, Churchill persevered. He held steadfast and prevented the Nazis from taking over the world. He stood tall at the darkest and hardest of times.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Sheesh!

Get the name of the dude that invented BEER!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,396
Posts18,488,877
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.