Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Found them at Rural King for 25 bucks. Looks like I'm driving to Winchester.

https://www.ruralking.com/stabilizer-adj

Yes, that will take the side sway out of your multipouint draw bar and will keep the blade from moving side to side while in use. Be sure to purchase only category one parts. I once broke a lift arm because the elevated blade swung to the side too hard..

But those will do nothing for vertical stability. For that you will need the four piece set of flats shown above.

Look on the bottom of your fender mounts, under the axle for pins to attach the ffront of the sway bars. You might have to buy brackets and pins for the front of the sway bar. The brackets are retained under the axle by the fender bolts. The pin is a little short thing about two inches long. Yesterday's Tractor and Steiner are dependable sources for any parts which can not be sourced locally.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I went out and looked under my 8N a little while ago. It's got the mounting bracket for a swinging drawbar,...doesn't look like it's ever had anything attached to it.

Most folks do not even realize the belly pin is there. They just pull from the flat multi point draw bar.

But the swinging draw bar is the originally designed pull point. It takes the wear and tear off of the lift arms.

The pin under the rear axle to retain the front of the swinging drawbar is a bit of a proprietary item. If it is missing, you will have to find one to use that style hitch. We always welded a piece of chain to the bottom of the pin and and tied it to the axle assembly.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
okay,...but for pulling, it seems to me that it would be a simple matter to attach a chain to the drawbar mount under the differential with a heavy duty clevis.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

[Linked Image]

This pin right here. I've got that mount on my 8N also. Couldn't you just hook a chain to the pin with a clevis?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by dubePA
When I was a kid spending summers on the farm in the 50s, an uncle baled hay with a Ford 8N and a baler that had a Wisconsin motor on it to run the baler. Years later, the Amish down the road from camp, did the same thing with their "pony motor" powered baler. Only it was on steel wheels and pulled by a team of nags.

Pulling a giant hay bailer powered by a Wisconsin engine with an 8N in one of my childhood memories.

I was very young, could only straddle the 8N transmission, stand on the clutch to stop the tractor. I was too small to reach the seat. I thought it was a hoot, pulling that huge IH bailer as it gobbled up windrows, spitting out bails. The big press rocked the 8N as it cycled. You could really feel it when the tractor was stopped, not as much while underway. I must have been 7 or 8 yrs. old.

DF

IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
okay,...but for pulling, it seems to me that it would be a simple matter to attach a chain to the drawbar mount under the differential with a heavy duty clevis.

Possible for a short pull like you were doing pulling a bush out. But if you try to make a turn with a chain secured under the tractor, it will get pulled into the tires where the traction bars will grab it and wrapp ytou all up in it. Bad ju ju!

Much safer to just pull from the flat multi point draw bar. That set of vertical stabilizers to hold the lift down is only $35. Very cheap safety item.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B

Possible for a short pull like you were doing pulling a bush out. But if you try to make a turn with a chain secured under the tractor, it will get pulled into the tires where the traction bars will grab it and wrapp ytou all up in it. Bad ju ju!

That makes sense,.....but I drug the chain back and forth from the brush pile with the tractor while I was working yesterday. I just made sure to make long, looping turns while it was dragging along back there.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
When I was a kid spending summers on the farm in the 50s, an uncle baled hay with a Ford 8N and a baler that had a Wisconsin motor on it to run the baler. Years later, the Amish down the road from camp, did the same thing with their "pony motor" powered baler. Only it was on steel wheels and pulled by a team of nags.

Pulling a giant hay bailer powered by a Wisconsin engine with an 8N in one of my childhood memories.

I was very young, could only straddle the 8N transmission, stand on the clutch to stop the tractor. I was too small to reach the seat. I thought it was a hoot, pulling that huge IH bailer as it gobbled up windrows, spitting out bails. The big press rocked the 8N as it cycled. You could really feel it when the tractor was stopped, not as much while underway. I must have been 7 or 8 yrs. old.

DF

Been there done that. Ours was a New Holland 66. Dad had an 8N. Uncle just down the road had two, Grandad had three. Dad bucked bales for every farmer in the neighborhood. Usually with our 8N and two wheeled trailer. I was the designated tractor driver putting in 8 hour plus days, starting at five years old. Heck it was several years before I figured out that one coudl sit in the seat.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

That makes sense,.....but I drug the chain back and forth from the brush pile with the tractor while I was working yesterday. I just made sure to make long, looping turns while it was dragging along back there.

Did you have the chain anchored to the back axle or to a draw bar out at the end of the lift arms? That makes a YUGE difference!

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I had it hooked to the drawbar.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Almost forgot these amazing vids from earlier this summer!

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I had it hooked to the drawbar.

That is the much safer way. For less than $100 you can add the vertical and side stabilizers which will give you a nice solid hitch point See fourth photo in my earlier post..And a point which is held well below the centerline of the rear axle. Actually, as I mentioned above, most folk do not even know about the capability to use the swinging draw bar.

For what you are doing, you will be just fine pulling from the drawbar you already own.

We used the swinging draw bar on the dairy because the 8N pulled a hay trailer all summer and a silage wagon all winter. The pivot point to the trailers was moved a few inches behind the end of the lift arm, which allowed for much tighter turns in the field or feed lot. But at the expense of making the front end of the tractor lighter. One had to be careful to keep the trailer loaded evenly so as to avoid excessive tongue weight.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
When puling something may want to consider hooking the chain to the front blade or whatever is available and pull backing up so you don't have to worrying about flipping. (with a piece of burlap, drop cloth or whatever over the chain as mentioned.)

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ha!

I pulled a 460 w/ C-6 transmission out of Lincoln mark iv one time. Did it with our little kubota L2850

yeehaw!! That thing was bucking like a bronco. Had to go roust my drunkard cousin off his couch and make him stand on the front bar of the tractor so it wouldn't flip.
It set down on the radiator support crossmember a couple of times before birthin it free

Haha
good times

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Yeah,...I know it's something you need to watch out for. But from my experience yesterday, I don't think there's much danger of flipping the tractor as long as I'm on soil. The soil around here is loose and loamy topsoil. At one point I hooked onto more than the little 8N could pull and it just dug trenches in the soil. I kept my foot firmly on the clutch in case it started acting up. The front end might have bounced the front wheels off the ground a couple of inches a time or two, but that's about it. Mostly it just spins the wheels and throws dirt.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Been there done that. Ours was a New Holland 66. Dad had an 8N. Uncle just down the road had two, Grandad had three. Dad bucked bales for every farmer in the neighborhood. Usually with our 8N and two wheeled trailer. I was the designated tractor driver putting in 8 hour plus days, starting at five years old. Heck it was several years before I figured out that one coudl sit in the seat.

Even before I was doing that, I’d steer the truck while Dad was in the back, throwing hay to the cows. He’d put it in low gear, step out, let me steer across the pasture, truck just creaping along. I was in the seat, on my knees. Probably 5 or so. I thought it was cool.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/05/18.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[/quote]
Even before I was doing that, I’d steer the truck while Dad was in the back, throwing hay to the cows. He’s put it in low gear, step out, let me steer across the pasture, truck just creaping along. I was in the seat, on my knees . Probably 5 or so. I thought it was cool.

DF
[/quote]

That's exactly how I learned to 'drive'.

Big deal when you can reach the clutch and shift on your own!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by SamOlson
[/quote]
Even before I was doing that, I’d steer the truck while Dad was in the back, throwing hay to the cows. He’s put it in low gear, step out, let me steer across the pasture, truck just creaping along. I was in the seat, on my knees . Probably 5 or so. I thought it was cool.

DF

That's exactly how I learned to 'drive'.

Big deal when you can reach the clutch and shift on your own!

[/quote]
Yep, little boys want to do big boy stuff.

DF

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Get yourself a good swinging drawbar on there like that one from yesterday's tractor. Put a clevis on it and you'll be all set. It mounts under the centerline like intended and is the right way to pull something. I don't like those 3 pt hitch drawbars, they're kind of the afro engineered way of doing things and they're not very stable. I've got a couple of bent ones in the scrap metal pile behind my shop right now. The lift on an 8n is kind of fragile to begin with and it'd be easy to do damage with one of those.

The thing about flipping the tractor is real, don't take it lightly. When the front end decides to come up it'll happen fast and if your reflexes aren't quick it'll get over on you. That's why you always need to be pulling from below centerline and the differential mount swinging drawbar takes of that for you, the harder you pull the more it forces the front down. That's the way a tractor is designed to pull and is the best way to do it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got my butt whipped by a stump today. Only a 36" or so cottonwood but electric, phone and water lines had it surrounded. I only had a ditching bucket on the excavator so I'll be back tomorrow with the proper tool. A tooth bucket to pop some roots will help a lot. I was pushing 20'+ up on the tree with a 45,000# machine with no success.

A note about all of this chain talk. The proper grade of chain is probably more important than the link size. I won't have anything less than grade 70 around my place. I've busted 1/2" grade 70 chains on a dead pull without jerking. The low grade china junk will kill ya quick. I can't remember the last time I spent less than $80 on a chain.

The best tool for pulling trees or brush with smaller machinery is a logging choker. Wrap it around the bush and slide the ball in the clevis end of a 3/8" chain. Quick and easy. I used to buy them for about $15 back in the day.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

353 members (1eyedmule, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 34 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,117
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.