Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Ok want opinions of those that been there and done that. Trying to keep it simple. 30-06 for plains game. I have 3 bullet choice all are 165 grains. My choices are as follows Sierra game king spbt very accurate. Hornaday spbt interlock almost as accurate as the Sierra. Nosler partition not as accurate but I think it will work. 1 1/2 groups at 100yards, 3 inch groups at 200 yards.
So, which bullet would you use and why or why not? No 6.5-.284 creedmoors shooting a hybrid Berger whatever.......please. Trying to keep it simple. Thanks DR

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Never been to Africa.

If the Partition isn't shooting that well, and if I had the choice between the Sierra GK and the Hornady Interlock, both grouping about the same, I'd go Hornady.

IMO.

DF

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
165 grain Barnes TSX, or the Nosler Partition. The first time I sent some TSXs to my PH for his .308, he couldn't believe how it elevated the performance of his rifle. I have a couple of boxes here now that I need to get to him.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I'd personally choose a partition first, then the interlokts.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Of the three you asked about, I'd go Partition. If open to other options, Barnes or Swift A-Frame. I would not personally take a Sierra GK to Africa. I am a fan of the Interlock for deer and it would probably work, but I wouldn't take that either.

Do or do not, there is no try.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'd personally choose a partition first, then the interlokts.

I would too, but he said they weren't shooting that well. If he doesn't have as much confidence in the NPT out of his rifle, then the IL may be a good alternative. They seem to do well on game and I'd trust them over the SGK. He said they shot about the same as the SGK.

OTOH, 3" at 200 with the NPT may be OK. But, if he got a chance at a 400 yd. shot, that could mean 6" before the human factor, maybe not the best calculation.

DF

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I would choose the Nosler Partition. At 30-06 speeds, all 3 bullets that you listed will work, but I think that the partition will penetrate the most. In regards to accuracy, 1 1/2" groups will be just fine. I know that on the campfire here everyone wants 1/2 moa accuracy. Finn Aggaard wrote that his personal working 30-06 was a 1.5 moa rifle and that he wouldn't be able to blame any misses on the rifle. At 300 yards a 1.5 moa rifle will shoot a 4.5" group and you will not be shooting that far.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
The partition will suit your needs in Africa...

Molon Labe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
OP may want to try other powders. I'd heard it said that the NPT sometimes shoots better with a faster burning powder. Not sure what he's using, but I'd try some more combos with the NPT, if it was my trip.

1 1/2" may be OK and I understand what Finn was saying. I'd want a more accurate load and wouldn't leave home without my best shooting combo. That may be more of a confidence (mental) thing, but that's just me.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Partition--and 1.5" 3-shot groups for typical plains game hunting over there. In fact I've taken plenty of big game out to 350-450 yards with the .30-06, in both Africa and North America, with ammo that wouldn't average any better than that, no problems.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, John and JG.

You guys have been there, done that...

Guess I'm a bit anal about tight shooting rifles, but you're right. Finn was right.

But, I'd work with my rifle 'till it was shooting better than that... grin

Then, I couldn't blame it on the gun... blush

DF

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Noslers would be my choice too. Last I heard very few African game animal are shot off the bench or prone. You'll likely be shooting off high sticks or off hand. That means how well you shoot and hit under those conditions is much more important than a one-inch group vs even a two-inch group off the bench at 100 yards. Good luck, have fun and take lots of photos to share with us.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've hunted plains game twice....once with a .300 H&H and once with a .30-06.....the advantage of the .300 H&H over the .30-06 is so little as to be nearly non existent. Also one needs to ask himself why he would trade some bullet performance for additional accuracy.....and from what the OP has said, the accuracy of his worst bullets are still very adequate for the task.....bear in mind that "REAL" 1.5" groups mean that no bullet strays more than .75 inches from point of aim at 100 yards.

Yes, plains game can be taken at 400+ yards but remember.....if you draw blood, the trophy fee has to be paid whether you get the game or not.....this causes two things to happen.....mostly we try to get closer but using premium bullets are a major plus IMO.

If you can afford the trip to Africa then you can afford to find some A-Frames or even North Forks.....but the Nosler Partition is also a superb bullet and I wouldn't use anything less than that......further, some of the plains game can be quite large.....eland for example and Kudu and Gemsbok are fairly large animals as are wildebeest, zebra, and even giraffe. I'd much prefer a 180 grain premium bullet but the 165 grainers will do.

Many of us get way too excited over extreme accuracy which just isn't necessary to the task of big game hunting......1.5" groups are fully adequate to the job at hand and yes, I know how good we feel when we shoot little clover leaf groups.....but there wasn't ever a kudu that could tell the difference.

Furthermore.....you just might be surprised by the accuracy of A-Frames and North Forks.....

It's your hunt and your money.....spend it your way, but I strongly advise using premium grade bullets and first class air fare to Johannesberg....it's a killer of a ride!!!!!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ok, of the choices you’ve given I’d go Partition, no question. You want penetration. Blood trails are your friend.

On my first plains game safari I used the 180 TSX in my .300 H&H. On my second safari I used the 150gr. E-Tip in my 7mm RMag. Here’s the super special key:

The Trackers, the dog and your PH in Africa are phenomenal. Your JOB is to at least draw blood, preferably with a heart lung shot. You do NOT need to worry about DRT. You want a killing shot, a high percentage killing shot.

It matters not if your animal runs 200 yards.

I drilled my first Kudu at 190 yards...again...and again... He took three hits, two were flat out killing shots and he ran 300 yards. My wife drilled a warthog with a perfect heart/lung shot...we had to call the dog in. He found it in about 30 seconds. I shot a Blue Wildebeest at 90 yards with my 7mag...he went straight down. Didn’t move one inch...it took us 90 MINUTES to find the damn carcass. The hide just blended into the ground...I couldn’t figure out why the rock next to me had a pink flower growing out of it...(lung blood on a gray hide). Don’t even ask me about the zebra I shot who ran and died behind a bush with the rest of the herd thundering away...45 minutes later, after my PH had shushed the tracker twice as we kept looking with our bino’s after the herd that was running...loudly said “WHAT?” In a very upset tone...

“This one boss?” The tracker said...pointing down at the zebra he was sitting on, not 40 feet from us.

DRAW GOOD BLOOD. That’s all you really need to do.

Last edited by rnovi; 08/05/18.

Hunt Africa while you can
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agree on the Partition.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
If your shots are going to be 300 yards or in, I agree on partitions, Plainsgame are big, tough animals especially if you will be going after zebra, gemsbok, kudu, or eland. I assume you will be headed after at least some of them. Full penetration is not guaranteed on these guys, even with broadside shots so your bullet needs to hold together regardless of the angle. Partitions should do that. The point made earlier about confidence is huge. The accuracy you describe is certainly good for field conditions. Regardless of what most people post on the internet 1.5” at 100 is fine for hunting accuracy. It’s impact on your confidence is another matter. If you are confident in the rifle and your shooting go with the partitions if not, or you anticipate extending your range, maybe look at a a different bullet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They will all work. Of those I would go with the Partition. I have used the 165TSX with great results in Mrs Blacktailer's 308. The cost of bullets is inconsequential when compared to the cost of getting there.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Leaving in two weeks for SA, to hunt the Karoo and Eastern Cape mountains for smaller antelope species. Taking the .30-06 and 165 gr. Barnes TSX bullets for this hunt- Chose this bullet more for penetration than expansion to hopefully avoid too much hide damage, especially on littler critters like Klipspringer and Steenbok. Loaded with 57.0 gr. of IMR4350, this is a very accurate loading, and recoil is moderate.

Last edited by Bighorn; 08/06/18.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Agree, cost of bullets is a non issue for an expensive hunt.

Before I accepted 1 1/2” as best accuracy, although it would probably be good enough, I’d be working with Barnes, Swift and others.

I’m confident, with the quality of my rifles, MOA wouldn’t be a hill to climb.

I know I could never shoot that good in the field, at least my neurosis would be addressed.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
which plains game are you after?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 160user, 01Foreman400, 52 invisible), 2,771 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,128
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.