Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
If you don’t mind sharing, I’d be interested to know what failed on your two SWFA scopes and your Athlon, as well as which models they were. Thanks!

The Athlon is a Midas Tac 6x24. I am not passing judgement yet, as I never totally take myself out of the equation as being the problem. Of the two SWFA scopes, the first was a 6x that would not hold zero, or track right, right out of the box. The second, and current one, is a 10x that has ridden on a .260 for a year or so. I had doubts about it, but it would hold for a bit and I kept shooting it. It finally quit holding zero and the adjustments were way off. I have another 6x that is pending, as we cannot get it to hold on two different rifles. Before sending it back, I am going to try a different scope mount and see what happens. I have really been on a roll lately. I hate scopes, but they are necessary evil. I just get tired of burning lots of good hand loads and finding out that it was the scope the whole time.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is that 4 failed SWFAs on the last two pages, with a possible #5?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sbhooper
If you don’t mind sharing, I’d be interested to know what failed on your two SWFA scopes and your Athlon, as well as which models they were. Thanks!

The Athlon is a Midas Tac 6x24. I am not passing judgement yet, as I never totally take myself out of the equation as being the problem. Of the two SWFA scopes, the first was a 6x that would not hold zero, or track right, right out of the box. The second, and current one, is a 10x that has ridden on a .260 for a year or so. I had doubts about it, but it would hold for a bit and I kept shooting it. It finally quit holding zero and the adjustments were way off. I have another 6x that is pending, as we cannot get it to hold on two different rifles. Before sending it back, I am going to try a different scope mount and see what happens. I have really been on a roll lately. I hate scopes, but they are necessary evil. I just get tired of burning lots of good hand loads and finding out that it was the scope the whole time.

What rings were the scopes mounted in?

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tejano
Thanks MD for getting this back on tract.

Needed a minor spelling correction.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, ...................

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Beaver10,

You must be thinking of Australia.

My wife and hunted in NZ in 2007, and it took about five minutes at the airport in Auckland to do everything necessary to bring in our rifles.

Copy...Thought NZ would be the same drama as Australia that I’ve been told of. MD and Pat, appreciate the correction...NZ I will look into. Outfitter would be my solution. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

The 19 brands have included three expensive European makes, along with SWFA and Nightforce.

What Nightforce’s failed and what was wrong with them?

Of the two SWFA scopes, the first was a 6x that would not hold zero, or track right, right out of the box. The second, and current one, is a 10x that has ridden on a .260 for a year or so. I had doubts about it, but it would hold for a bit and I kept shooting it. It finally quit holding zero and the adjustments were way off. I have another 6x that is pending, as we cannot get it to hold on two different rifles. Before sending it back, I am going to try a different scope mount and see what happens.

Scopes suck, that’s not in question. But if you actually do have three fixed power SWFA’s that have failed, you have more failures then I have seen in dozens with well over half a million rounds fired.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by wareagle700

What rings were the scopes mounted in?

SWFA tactical rings. They have been great for me, so far.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Form,

It was just one Nightforce, an 8-32x56 NXS. It belonged to a local gunsmith friend, John McLaughlin, who loaned me a 6.5 GAP 4S he'd built for an article I was working on. He'd already dialed-in the scope with great results, and it started off fine for me as well.

But after maybe 20 rounds the groups started growing, from sub-half-inch to 2-3". I checked all the usual stuff, but eventually concluded the scope had to be the problem, so replaced it with one of my own Nightforces. The groups shrank to tiny again, and John sent the 8-32x to Nightforce. They replaced it within a week (we live within easy shipping distance of northern Idaho). I can't remember for sure what they said was wrong, but suspect an erector problem!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
All those who have never recommended a product here on the fire, talked at length about how well a certain bullet performed, carried on about a propellent, primer and brass when used with a certain loading die in a special press and especially when used with a certain brand of rifle in a special caliber, carry on with your bashing of the Kiwi.

Otherwise, STFU.

Possibly the best post on this thread. Wow are there some internet d-bags around here.

IC B3

J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J

NZ is actually useing a Track scope and posted hunting picture demonstrating said use and he is attacked by posters that have never used the scope and accused of being on their payroll. Totally ridiculous.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475

NZ is actually useing a Track scope and posted hunting picture demonstrating said use and he is attacked by posters that have never used the scope and accused of being on their payroll. Totally ridiculous.

Yep.

I dont have a dog in this fight but find the keyboard bravado a bit ridiculous.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I bit on the new 30mm Toric. My initial impressions are meh. The pop up turrets have some slop in them when locked down and the windage turret doesn’t have a confidence inspiring feel when moving from locked to unlocked.....there’s not much resistance there and it doesn’t lock down with what I would call authority. Glass seems ok. Pulled a used DMR2 Bushie out of the bubble wrap and compared them side by side at 20x. Both Crystal clear to my eye.....and my eyes suck.....but definitely notice the image getting darker in the Tract as I ran the power from4-20. Not XTRii dark but dark. The sunshade they provide did help.

I’m not one to get all horned up over glass so I’ll just leave It at that.

I honestly don’t know if I’m going to keep it long enough to test it. I just don’t see these pop-ups getting any tighter with use.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (21, 35, 7887mm08, afisher, 257_X_50, 8 invisible), 917 guests, and 843 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,919
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.