Online Content
Campfire Regular
[quote][/quote]
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Nice fish.

I like that set up.

Who makes that holster/belt?

DF

Thanks DF. It is an Old Trading Post 1880 Mexican Vaquero Bandoleer Shoulder Holster with Ammo Loops: https://www.oldtradingpost.com/old-...51.html?zenid=ibt8d1tm5las4n5ndr8f50iah7

They can custom make them for any gun. I had one made for my Ruger DA 5.5” .454, but the one pictured, I think, is just a standard model for a 7.5” Blackhawk, which was cheaper, and my 7.5” FA fit in it nicely.

You can flip it so that what is normally the back part of the strap goes over your left shoulder and what is normally the front part of the strap goes under your right armpit, which results in a belly/chest holster.

I like that you can take it off without unsnapping anything and put on or take off layers underneath it and just throw it back on fairly quickly.

Originally Posted by bobmn
Marine: I noticed in your photo of the outstanding greyling you are wearing hip boots. If you ever fish where you need waders or wear a pack with waist belt, I recommend the El Paso Saddlery 1942 Tanker holster. The Crossfire Alaskan is another chest holster that is cheaper and more versatile because it can also be used on the belt. However I like leather instead of synthetic.

Thanks Bob. I will look at those. I primarily was going after bigger fish:

[Linked Image]

But I didn’t want to carry my rifle around all of the time in case that guy's cousin decided to mount a revenge counterattack after I was done with that while we were working our way down river to our pickup point.

GB1

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Final outcome guys, some Ivory wannabe grips. They fit better in my hands that those fugly pachmyers.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by jorgeI; 08/09/18.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
My Model 83 PG .454 allows me to pull back the hammer about 1/4 inch and, when you release it, it stops about 1/8 inch from the firing pin. It is, practically speaking, an unmovable barrier. I don’t see how it can be overcome. I carry it that way loaded with five and think it's completely safe.

[Linked Image]

It most certainly can be overcome and has.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Glad it worked out for you jorge...

Were you able to find some used ones or some other aftermarket...

FA is a PITA with their grips... I had a 6" .454 back around 2000 that had the the black Micarta grips. I was going to trade guns with a friend who had ended up with two 4.75" guns but I wanted to keep my grips...they would not interchange on either gun...so I ended up selling mine when the .454 rounds just started causing too much discomfort to shoot...found an identical one in .41 Magnum and have lived happily ever after...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I sent the gun to FA for a fitting. They had it back to me in a week. They are a pleasure to work and speak with though. I was on the phone with the head gunsmith and it was a great, informative talk. Anyway, they look really good and the gun fits my hand better.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Final outcome guys, some Ivory wannabe grips. They fir better in my hands that those fugly pachmyers.
[Linked Image]

That's a nice rig. FA bulds them like a Swiss watch. Full power loads are .... let's just say a handful!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Arguably rivals any bespoke euro double in form and fit. They are truly remarkably well made.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Jorge,

Where did you find those grips? They look nice.

I, too, like them a heap better than those Pachmayrs. Never liked the look or feel.

And, as noted by others, heavy recoiling guns work better with these type grips than those...

DF

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Jorge,

Where did you find those grips? They look nice.

I, too, like them a heap better than those Pachmayrs. Never liked the look or feel.

And, as noted by others, heavy recoiling guns work better with these type grips than those...

DF

See above. Sent the gun to FA.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Very good..they do a nice job with their grips and as you noticed have a fast turn around. I spoke to Mr. Baker a couple of times at the SHOT Show. He said that when a customer's gun comes in it goes to the head of the line to get it back to them asap...they don't want customer guns hanging around the shop...

Have been to the factory once....nice people to do business... When I was there I dropped something in the parking lot that I didn't discover missing for a couple of weeks while driving home. I called them and a customer had brought it in and they were just hoping someone would call...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Fast turn around is what threw me off. Seeing those grips this quick, I "assumed" Jorge had found a set somwhere else.

FA has great CS. Not cheap, but great.

DF

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
At this point in my life, "time" has become a premium smile and when coupled with great CS and a quality product, I don't mind the extra dough spent. They really need a nice job in fitting them.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI
At this point in my life, "time" has become a premium smile and when coupled with great CS and a quality product, I don't mind the extra dough spent. They really need a nice job in fitting them.

I was somewhat taken aback by the fast turnaround. I knew they were good, but that was FAST.

I do understand what you're saying about time...

That's one commodity we have no control over.

DF

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The single experience that I have had with them was a very quick turn-around. I really like the Freedom Arms revolvers. The 4-3/4", 475 Linebaugh is probably my favorite revolver.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Concur on the quick turn around. I visited the factory and dropped off a Premier 83 454 to have the barrel shortened from 7.5 to 6 inches and had it back in my hands in a couple of weeks.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'm gonna use a Mernickle cross draw rig I've had for some time. Not quite as handy as the chest rigs, but it'll do for now. The belt is long enough to go over winter clothes.

I have a couple of woods ladder stands that were set up for bow hunting. I'm not much into strings, like gunpowder a lot more. So, this Fall may find me in such a stand with the .45 Ruger. And Penn Bullets, 270 gr. Thunderhead ahead of a full case of 4227.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Penn Bullets 270 gr. Thunderheads, .45 Colt.

DF

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
DAMN! nice rig DF, I used those Thunderheads two times last year to put finishers in two buck deer that looked up at me after having been shot, I didn't see any point and letting them suffer, at the shot, BOTH times, the bucks immediately coughed a large amount of blood out and the eyes went glassy, they work!

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nice guns guys. I've been shooting a FA .454 for the past 7 years or so. This is the most accurate handgun I've ever owned. I shoot 300 gr Hornady XTP Mag over 31.1 gr H110. This fall I used it to take 8 marmots from 107 to 212 yards. Next year I'm putting a scope on it for varmints. Hope to take another elk with it in two weeks.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGray
Concur on the quick turn around. I visited the factory and dropped off a Premier 83 454 to have the barrel shortened from 7.5 to 6 inches and had it back in my hands in a couple of weeks.

I like the 6" Shilen on my .45 SBH. They don't make a 6", so that just adds to the custom features...

Handy length.

DF

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,565
Posts18,491,815
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.