Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That's exactly what I don't like about 'orange' handle knives - If I had one I'd want to lose it!

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by berryns
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
Good knife for the limp-wristed wine and cheese crowd, not much else. Get a real knife.

Just found one of those limp-wristed, wine, and cheese types in this video. Check out 00:30 where he's gutting the rabbit with an opinel.

https://vimeo.com/139553665

Rabbit? Heck, anyone who knows a little of what they are doing could butcher a deer with that little knife.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Back when I looked for arrowheads, I found two pocket knives that had been lost in the field no telling when. When I found them they were just gobs of rust. One was open and the other closed. I'm sure whoever lost them in the corn or hay was sure no human would ever again lay eyes on them.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As most of us with grey hair know, the fastest way to find it is to buy a replacement. I have lost a couple of pocket knives I was fond of and one of them was the old Buck folder I carried from 1969 to 1974 during my military time and about a year after discharge. When ice fishing a remote lake in Alaska there was the usual lull in the fishing so I was letting my knife drop straight down into a log we were cutting up for our fire. On the last drop the knife hit the edge of the log, slid across about 6' of wind blown ice and dropped into my ice fishing hole!

The water was about 15' deep and the weeds on the bottom were to high to allow actually seeing the bottom. Still miss that knife.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Gotta have a good, sharp knife to finish up this years tomatoes, so I got an Old Hickory boning knife out of the drawer and been working it with an Arkansas stone. It's got a 6" blade which is a big large for what I'm doing with it. But I've wanted to put a good edge on it for a while. I bought it several years ago before a trip to the ocean because its blade shape looked like it would be good for cleaning the fish I was expecting to catch. I put a bit of an edge on it back then, but I never got around to stoning a proper bevel on the blade. It's just a good old piece of high carbon,...probably 1095.

I like 1095 for knife blades. There's nothing exotic about it. As far as knife steel goes it's pretty old school. But I like the way you can light up an edge on it.

This one:

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Walker
Those Opinels are great knives, for what they cost. The blade shape and length, plus the very decent carbon steel and convexed edge profile make it a really good slicer. Far more useful for food prep than most other pocket knives, and very light in weight. Some great features, for under $15.

The reason I don't carry one, is because I don't trust the locking mechanism to keep the blade tucked inside the handle while it's in my pocket. It seems to me that these knives were meant to be carried in a picnic basket.

The sodbuster-style knives are more appealing to me. Similar to the Opinels in some ways, but safer to carry. Some of the best are made in America, ... such as the original Case "Sodbuster", and Great Eastern Cutlery's (Farm & Field #71) "Bull Nose". They cost quite a bit more than an Opinel, but aren't so easily lost, if you order one in bright orange.

[Linked Image]

does that lock open?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (219 Wasp, 22250rem, 264mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 222Sako, 61 invisible), 5,481 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,818
Posts18,536,826
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.