Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I removed a muzzle brake from a shot out 270 Wby. Now I have a 7mm that I would like to put it on. The biggest pin that will go thru it is .296". Is that enough clearance or do I need more?? How much more??

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It should be OK as long as the ID of the brake is concentric with the ID of the barrel

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I thought the min. Was .020 clearance

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would open it up some, I dont think you wanna a baffle strike.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Open it to .324" or is .312 enough?

Originally Posted by Spotshooter
I thought the min. Was .020 clearance

.020" total or per side??

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I would take the brake and throw it in the trash.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I read that wrong, you don't have enough clearance. You need .020" minimum and concentric. SOrry if I misled you.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So is that .020" over bore size or .020" clearance on each side (.040" over bore size)??

N
N
.020 over .284 minimum-I prefer .030 over bore size personally and it will not effect efficiency

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Seems to me if the original had over .022 over bore size, your 7mm ( .280) would want to be .302 at least. Assuming evrything is concentric.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by nieko
I prefer .030 over bore size personally and it will not effect efficiency
Ditto..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
OK, .312" it is!!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Measure your actual bullets and you will find 7mm bullets are .284". The perfect install with max efficiency is .284" + .020" = .304". The hole is opened up with a small boring bar. A reamer or drill will simply follow the old hole and not be perfectly centered on the bore. Be sure you dial in the last 2" of bore rather than only the exit or with both ends centered. Cut your threads and bore the hole on that setup or risk an off centered hole or threads misaligned with the bore. If you ever decide to use the threads for a suppressor this is the only way to guarantee no baffle strikes.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This barrel was already threaded and I can't cut it shorter w/o getting into the flutes.
On the barrels that I have threaded in the past, I go between centers, cut a clean up pass to center the bore with the OD, then thread. Am I doing it incorrectly?? If the bore is on a center, the clean up cut will make the outside concentric - right?
I don't know what you mean by dialing in the last 2" of bore. An inside indication is going to bump off of the rifling. An outside indication may not be true to the bore. Are you saying use a pin or range rod that is at least 2" into the bore and indicate off of that?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
measuring directly off the bore/rifling is the best way to indicate a barrel true to center of the bore. If you don't understand what HiredGun is talking about you might want to research a little more before continuing with your gunsmithing adventures.....

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Seems to me coming to the Gunsmithing sub forum and asking questions is trying to research the problem.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
CowboyBart. 020" is the total clearance you need for most hunting bullets, (.010" per side) but some of the extra long VLD types should be cleared more. I would go about .035" for them. Some of the have a bit of yaw until the go to sleep and if they touch a baffle it won't harm a thing, but the accuracy will suck.

Keep in mind that concentric mounting with the BORE is needed, not the outside of the barrel if you want close tolerances.

Some smiths don't center on the bore and mount them by locating off the outside of the barrel and that's OK if you give enough clearance, but sometimes you'll need up to .070 if it's done that way.

If the bore is off center in the barrel (not as uncommon as you might think) you can mount them locating off the outside and it looks good, but you need to have clearance on the inside and if you need a lot, the break doesn't reduce the recoil as much.

Myself, I never use the outside of a barrel to locate from. I locate 100% of the time from the bore. In a few cases it will look as if the break is "mounted crooked" with some barrels. This should be explained to the customer before you accept the job. It's the inside that matters.

If a customer has an off-center bore I offer to true the barrel at the time I install a break, but that means a re-finish job too, so I leave it up to the owner of the gun.

But .020" is fine if the bore is centered.

Last edited by szihn; 08/18/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by szihn
CowboyBart. 020" is the total clearance you need for most hunting bullets, (.010" per side) but some of the extra long VLD types should be cleared more. I would go about .035" for them. Some of the have a bit of yaw until the go to sleep and if they touch a baffle it won't harm a thing, but the accuracy will suck.

Keep in mind that concentric mounting with the BORE is needed, not the outside of the barrel if you want close tolerances.

Some smiths don't center on the bore and mount them by locating off the outside of the barrel and that's OK if you give enough clearance, but sometimes you'll need up to .070 if it's done that way.

If the bore is off center in the barrel (not as uncommon as you might think) you can mount them locating off the outside and it looks good, but you need to have clearance on the inside and if you need a lot, the break doesn't reduce the recoil as much.

Myself, I never use the outside of a barrel to locate from. I locate 100% of the time from the bore. In a few cases it will look as if the break is "mounted crooked" with some barrels. This should be explained to the customer before you accept the job. It's the inside that matters.

If a customer has an off-center bore I offer to true the barrel at the time I install a break, but that means a re-finish job too, so I leave it up to the owner of the gun.

But .020" is fine if the bore is centered.

Do you know how to spell "BRAKE?"

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
oops!

Sorry.

Good catch however

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I don't think anyone was asking about or suggesting indicating off the outside of a barrel, anyone except the most inexperienced gun hack should know not to do that.

CowboyBart, when gunsmiths talk about indicating the last 2" of the bore, generally that means to use a close fitting gauge pin or other very straight rod in the bore, and indicate on the rod at the muzzle and a couple inches away. (Obviously the rod needs to be at least about 4" long to do this.) The alternative is to use a long-tipped indicator directly on the bore, and just pay attention to whether you're measuring lands or grooves. You'll need a 4 jaw chuck and a "lathe spider" (like a crude 4 jaw) at the back end of the spindle to do this, or for shorter barrels make yourself a tube that fits in the chuck with 4 jaw adjustments near each end.

Setting up between centers is not technically as accurate because most bores aren't straight. However, the difference is so small that in my experience it doesn't matter for most brake installations. There's no harm in going with .030" or even .040" clearance if in doubt; in my experiments it has made no difference in brake effectiveness but can sometimes be more forgiving which leads to better accuracy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1badf350, 204guy, 57 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,509
Posts18,509,355
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.