Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Friends,

I was (just this afternoon) offered a "barely used" & MINT CZ-550 Left-Hand rifle in .375 H&H Magnum, with as handsome of a walnut stock as I've seen on a factory rifle in quite some time.
It's offered at an "attractive discount" off what I've seen these advertised for on the www sites like www.gunbroker.com.
(The current owner won the rifle in a gun-club raffle in JAN18, took it onto a range in Hayes County, TX & simply says, "It kicks way too much for me. I shot it exactly 4 times." - - - - The 4 empty cases are in the box with the unfired rounds.)
The "deal" includes a nice hard-side aluminum alloy/fitted case.

I would be pleased to hear of the experiences of members, who own & hunt with the CZ-550 in .375 H&H, as I'm planning a hunting trip to southern Africa next Fall & can afford another rifle W/O putting a cramp in our budget.
(I've never owned a rifle in a caliber heavier than my treasured 9.3x62mm, Model 760, Remington pump-rifle.)

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 08/13/18. Reason: spelling error

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
HR IC

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
some years ago i was going bison hunting, and had a new excuse for a rifle, the cz550 375H&H. A scope was attached and it was right on holding a good group right away. I think it is well made. BUT, mine did not come with a cross bolt through the wood under the reciever. They do now. And by bad luck the rifle was leaning up against the wall and fell over cracking the stock. It had been fired maybe 15times. CZ blew me off on stock replacement, so i have that big beautiful stock you mentioned cracked, in the garage someplace.
I replaced it with a fiberglass stock and had it bedded.
But i still have a grind towards cz for their response on the stock. I think under that beautiful finish, the wood is cheezy.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I owned its predecessor, the BRNO 602, in 375 H&H and it was a fine rifle. The current version is a well proven rifle the world over. What would you be hunting with it?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
EdM,

Cape Buffalo (and perhaps should I decide to go hunting in AK) the bigger bears & moose. = Oddly, my lady asked me the same question, as I already have the 9.3x62mm.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
RoninPhx,

The rifle that I've been offered has TWO through stock bolts, so my guess is that CZ was having a common problem with their stocks cracking.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have only handled them but I would say yes definitely buy it. Only complaint is they are fairly heavy not unlike the M70 375 as they were designed for larger cartridges. The price seems to be going up and I think they may be on a limited schedule for production. I wish I was in the market as I would jump on it immediately. It would make for a nice mismatched pair the M70 and CZ both in 375.

Once you recoup from your trip I would send it off to AHR and have them do their magic on it. After which it would be an heirloom rifle.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Tejano,

Pardon my ignorance (after googling "AHR" & finding nothing "firearms related") but I don't know that abbreviation. Would you care to explain??

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I had an AHR 9.3x62. AHR does a great job, prices have gotten pretty high.

The CZ is a solid gun, although a bit on the heavy side.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
AHR 9.3x62

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Dirtfarmer,

Your stock has more stripes than the average tiger. = NIFTY.

The one that I'm considering has what looks like CROTCH grain, with swirls/whorls/stripes, too.

I plead GUILTY AS CHARGED to liking GAUDY-striped stocks.

AHR's prices are TOO STEEP for me.

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 08/13/18. Reason: addenda

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by satx78247
Dirtfarmer,

Your stock has more stripes than the average tiger. = NIFTY.

The one that I'm considering has what looks like CROTCH grain, with swirls/whorls/stripes, too.

I plead GUILTY AS CHARGED to liking GAUDY-striped stocks.

AHR's prices are TOO STEEP for me.

yours, tex

Me, too.

I traded for this AHR, later traded it for something else.

It was a great shooting, slick looking rifle. Just a tad heavy, which is OK for shooting full house 9.3x62 loads off the bench, just not that slick to carry all day and too pretty to get in the briars.

DF

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Dirtfarmer,

You traded off that PURTY thing???

NOT me. = IF I buy the CZ 550 LH, my daughter can figure out what to do with it when I'm dead & gone.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
EdM,

Cape Buffalo (and perhaps should I decide to go hunting in AK) the bigger bears & moose. = Oddly, my lady asked me the same question, as I already have the 9.3x62mm.

yours, tex

If the weight works for you buy the rifle and you will be happy I am sure. My BRNO was lighter than the current 550. My current 375 H&H is a tweaked SS M70 in a Brown Pound'r stock and has been to Alaska for brown bear and will head to Burkina Faso come February for buffalo and roan. I load the 270 gr TSX for it. Buy it and plan the hunts...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Dirtfarmer,

You traded off that PURTY thing???

NOT me. = IF I buy the CZ 550 LH, my daughter can figure out what to do with it when I'm dead & gone.

yours, tex

New owner is very happy, loves the gun.

In the trade, I got a Bobby Hart 7-08 M-700, now in a Hunters Edge. It's my go to WT rifle at the moment.

Of course, it wasn't an even trade.

DF

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
RoninPhx,

The rifle that I've been offered has TWO through stock bolts, so my guess is that CZ was having a common problem with their stocks cracking.

yours, tex

your comments are part of the reason for the beef against cz. I think they were well aware of the problem but just didn't want to deal with it.
I like cz products in general particularly their handguns.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
RoninPhx,

It also could be that the delay in fixing a problem was what is called "bureaucratic paralysis". - The mistake in the first few cracked stocks was NOT immediately replacing the stocks & THEN figuring out if it was one lot of bad wood or a commonplace problem.
(YES, I know it's NOT a firearm but in 1970 I bought a VW Beetle, in West Germany, that the dealer couldn't fix permanently. - After several return trips to the dealer & providing me another new car to drive each time, the dealer refunded my $$$$$$ & I later learned that the car was returned to the factory for a tear-down & diagnosis.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Friends,

I was (just this afternoon) offered a "barely used" & MINT CZ-550 Left-Hand rifle in .375 H&H Magnum, with as handsome of a walnut stock as I've seen on a factory rifle in quite some time.
It's offered at an "attractive discount" off what I've seen these advertised for on the www sites like www.gunbroker.com.
(The current owner won the rifle in a gun-club raffle in JAN18, took it onto a range in Hayes County, TX & simply says, "It kicks way too much for me. I shot it exactly 4 times." - - - - The 4 empty cases are in the box with the unfired rounds.)
The "deal" includes a nice hard-side aluminum alloy/fitted case.

I would be pleased to hear of the experiences of members, who own & hunt with the CZ-550 in .375 H&H, as I'm planning a hunting trip to southern Africa next Fall & can afford another rifle W/O putting a cramp in our budget.
(I've never owned a rifle in a caliber heavier than my treasured 9.3x62mm, Model 760, Remington pump-rifle.)

yours, tex

I had a BRNO 602 for a while. I never hunted it but it was a superb piece of gear, as was my CZ 550 American in 9.3x62. Neither was the smoothest action that I've ever used, but they slicked up nicely after I cycled the bolts a few hundred times and both were very accurate.

A proper Mauser in 375 is never wrong, so I'd grab this one if the price is right. I'd grab it even faster if I were left-handed, since left-handed CRF actions are so darned scarce. I also think that CZ is moving away from the 550 action, so this rifle is likely to increase in value.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have the CZ 550 in 375 H&H (right hand). As already stated it is a club, but never been hampered by it. Mine shoots great and action works pretty well for not having anything done with it. Last summer I loaded it to the gills (5 down, 1 up) and emptied it in about 20 seconds. No issues with feeding, binding or me short-stroking it.

Being heavy like it is, it's pretty comfortable to shoot. I can do a range session on the bench and go through a box of shells and shoulder never really gets sore.

He went over yonder way
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Heeler,

THANKS for your report. - Sounds FINE to me.

Fwiw, I've decided to buy it BUT he & his wife are out of town & the DIL says that she doesn't know when they'll be back from LA.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 29aholic, 308xray, 14 invisible), 1,503 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,206
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.