Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Can it be beat? Well yeah.... just for starters, your rifle outweighs a lot of "perfect" elk rifles and the barrel's way to fu cking long. Id wager a bet that most of us here would pick any of beretz's rifles over that beast. Just sayin

Gees get a room you two... good thing for me I don't need to bum a rifle off beretz 😜 sometimes I bum around with a stainless classic featherweight in a 338wsm.. but most days I carry that ol 06 of yours..

It's a good thing that old rifle shoots so well. It even makes guys like you look good. grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Can it be beat? Well yeah.... just for starters, your rifle outweighs a lot of "perfect" elk rifles and the barrel's way to fu cking long. Id wager a bet that most of us here would pick any of beretz's rifles over that beast. Just sayin

Gees get a room you two... good thing for me I don't need to bum a rifle off beretz 😜 sometimes I bum around with a stainless classic featherweight in a 338wsm.. but most days I carry that ol 06 of yours..

It's a good thing that old rifle shoots so well. It even makes guys like you look good. grin

Now that's just hurtful lawrence 😭... lol

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
79S, I'd bet that 338 WSM is a cool rifle as well. I always thought about putting one together but lucked into the P64 and decided I probably can't do much better... It has gone through a few iterations though since I have owned it..

I'd also throw my Mashburn into the mix as well. Pretty much a copy of my 338 and I have used my older Mashburn on a few elk so far, just not the new one, but I am pretty sure it'll be okay! It carries Bob's mark on it, I figure it doesn't hurt to have the good graces of the old boy on it while I am wandering around the woods.

I've got the P64 300 Weatherby ready as well, which is another match for the other two, just haven't really worked it out yet.. I think it'll be a decent one as well. BBC's for all of em!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
79S, I'd bet that 338 WSM is a cool rifle as well. I always thought about putting one together but lucked into the P64 and decided I probably can't do much better... It has gone through a few iterations though since I have owned it..

I'd also throw my Mashburn into the mix as well. Pretty much a copy of my 338 and I have used my older Mashburn on a few elk so far, just not the new one, but I am pretty sure it'll be okay! It carries Bob's mark on it, I figure it doesn't hurt to have the good graces of the old boy on it while I am wandering around the woods.

I've got the P64 300 Weatherby ready as well, which is another match for the other two, just haven't really worked it out yet.. I think it'll be a decent one as well. BBC's for all of em!

Bring that 300wby down this year. I'll give it a workout. grin

BSA MAGA
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Near perfection! Perfection.....24” barrel, provided the weight......scoped, loaded, and with with sling is under 9.0 pounds 😉 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 08/13/18.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Memtb, what kind of rifle does your wife use?

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Sure ain’t gonna punk on a man’s favorite rifle. To me rifle use is like wine drinking

Drink the wine you like. Use the rifle you like.

With confidence and accuracy!

Good hunting!!!

smile

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
.340 Wby Cor-Bon 225gr TTSX.

Can this be beat?

Here’s what it does based on my chrono out of my Mk V Accumark 26” bbl:

Rng / Vel. / Impact / KE / 10mph Drift
000 / 3160 / -1.75 / 4989 / 0.00
Sighted in 2-1/4” high at 100 yds, at 350 yds, without ever reaching 3” above the sight line: the bullet is only 6.4” low, is moving at over 2,500 fps, and has more energy than a 30-06 at the muzzle. Can anything beat that? Or almost 2,600 ft-lbs at 500 yds (as much as a .308 at the muzzle)?

For this purpose, please ignore recoil. I regularly have shot 1/2” and 3/4” groups with this rifle off the bench. In the field, I shot this guy with it three times at about 100 yds offhand in three or four seconds. I never felt anything more than the recoil of a Crossman bb gun with all of the excitement.
Assuming one can shoot it well (the rifle does its part), is there any more lethal elk hunting rifle/cartridge combo out there?

I’m not suggesting that there are not other super-capable elk rifles out there, but this one is pretty good.

If we are going to ignore recoil, the answer is "Yes, this rifle can be beat."

If we are going to consider recoil, the answer is the same.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Probably can't be beat, but it sure could beat the hell out of you.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
To me rifle use is like wine drinking

Outstanding!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like a few others have posted, over the years I've killed a pile of elk with a variety of rifles (all .30 caliber or smaller), and even one with a sharp stick. My "perfect" elk rifle now is my .300 Weatherby. We all have our favorites. grin

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by montanabadger
Probably can't be beat, but it sure could beat the hell out of you.

Yeah it beats on both ends..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
To me rifle use is like wine drinking

Outstanding!

I'd have to drink a lot of wine before I took that "best" rifle out in the woods.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
We think alike MH, but mine has not yet had the honor of "barking" while hunting.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by buffybr
Like a few others have posted, over the years I've killed a pile of elk with a variety of rifles (all .30 caliber or smaller), and even one with a sharp stick. My "perfect" elk rifle now is my .300 Weatherby. We all have our favorites. grin

^^^^This^^^^^^

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
The .340 was one of Bob Hagel ‘s favorites.. I have used my .340 on three elk, a whitetail, antelope, and coyotes... It is a killer for sure...

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all of the comments, even the snarky ones.

I have lighter rifles. I usually take my Wby Mk V Ultra Lightweight 7mm Wby when I go on backpacking hunts. It weighs 6-3/4 lbs / less than 8 lbs with scope/mounts. When I am hunting from a camp with a daypack, I generally take whatever I want. I use a safari sling that puts the rifle weight in front of me, which offsets the pack, and seems to make it feel lighter.

I carried the .340 many miles over rough Alaskan terrain with no problem. Same for this 375 Wby on an earlier hunt, which is even heavier.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I can’t recall being encumbered by its weight. Body weight + gun + gear/ pack is about 250 lbs. The extra weight of the 340 is less than 1% of that. Better to lose a few pounds on the waistline than worry about 1.5 lbs of rifle. Though, when I go heavy (backpacking), I bring the lighter 7mm.

As to recoil, yeah, you really can ignore it if you don’t convince yourself otherwise. I just took the 340 to the range today and chronoed it again. I got an average of 3,163, bout the same as above. If I am going to flinch, it’s at the range, shooting from the bench. Still, I shot eight 3-shot groups from the .340 and all of them were under an inch at 100 yds. I was using a Labradar, and what’s interesting about it is that it records downrange velocities. So, you can check the claimed ballistic coefficients. The TTSX’s claimed BCs were right on. I wear a Cabaela’s version of the Past-style shoulder pad when sighting in at the bench. It makes a BIG difference. If I’m flinching at the range and getting sub-MOA groups, I’m never going to think of that when I am upright and viewing an animal through the crosshairs.

The .338 RUM and Wby 338/378 may beat it by margins if you reload, but for available production loads, no. For example, Cor-Bon, which loads to the max, manufactures the load mentioned above, and they load the .338 RUM load for the same bullet at 100 fps less than for the .340 Wby. And the .338/375 loads (there are few) from Wby lists the .225gr TTSX as going 3,180—only 17 fps faster than the 340 I am getting. I’m sure you could reload the 338/378 faster than the .340 by a bit, but factory ammo options do not reflect this.

There are plenty of great elk rifles from the .270 on up. But I think this one is pretty capable. And I can carry it.

Never had a problem with a 26” barrel even in thick cover. Maybe it’s how I carry it.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If anyone on here reloads the 340, and need brass, I have a TON of once-fired brass. Let me know, and I will send it to you.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Model 70 SS, .338 WM , 8 1/2 pounds (scoped, loaded, with sling), .225 TTSX’s at 2950 fps! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 08/13/18.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

195 members (160user, 338Rules, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 23 invisible), 1,684 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,539
Posts18,531,106
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.