Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks. I only asked about steel saddle since there was a comment on the thread about Phil Shoemaker's rifle about his "steel" Weaver rings. I thought it was referring to the top strap but wasn't sure.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Am I misunderstanding something here? Just tried a magnet on every one of my old Weaver Top Mounts and they're definitely steel. Tried to post a pic but it's no go.

G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Am I misunderstanding something here? Just tried a magnet on every one of my old Weaver Top Mounts and they're definitely steel. Tried to post a pic but it's no go.

The top strap is steel. The question is about the saddle (the bottom half of the ring.)

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Ok. THANKS.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
They can be a pain in the ass, but the are lightweight, detachable, return to zero well, and bomb proof once you get them on right. If you know some old dude who has had the same rifle for 40 years that he shoots once a year at a deer and always kills his deer, he probably uses Weaver mounts.

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Grand slam steel rings non windage adjustable type and steel weaver bases.
Win mod 70 ot6
Custom 98 Mauser 8mm
Cva Kodiak pro mag .45 ml
As for the "ugly crisp lines" on the rings.
That can be taken care of with a jewellers file and Emory cloth to soften contour.
Coat em with ceramacoat and cook em
GTG...

I don't have issues with rings or bases
All old style one screw per side.

To each their own.......

Last edited by renegade50; 08/14/18.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm curious as to how much lower the Weaver Top Mounts are as compared to Warne or Talley lows. Any idea?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
To date I've not tried any ring/base combo or 1pc that are lower than the old low Weaver Top Mounts w/Weaver bases. Not saying there aren't any out here cause of course I haven't tried them all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JoeBob
They can be a pain in the ass, but the are lightweight, detachable, return to zero well, and bomb proof once you get them on right. If you know some old dude who has had the same rifle for 40 years that he shoots once a year at a deer and always kills his deer, he probably uses Weaver mounts.

Or an old guide who has had them on the same rifle for 40 year !

I chose them, and still prefer them, for the reasons that they are very rugged, simple and unobtrusive, can be mounted very low and easily removed by hand. Being inexpensive doesn't hurt either.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RevMike
I'm curious as to how much lower the Weaver Top Mounts are as compared to Warne or Talley lows. Any idea?

According to the Weaver, Warne, and Brownell's sites, these 1" rings have the following heights:

Weaver 1" Top Mount: Low - 0.089", Medium - 0.169", High - 0.332"

Warne 1" Maxima Fixed: Low - 0.250", Medium - 0.375", High - 0.525"

B-Square 1" Sport Utility: Low - 0.165", Medium - 0.335", High - 0.695"

IC B3

G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by EZEARL
To date I've not tried any ring/base combo or 1pc that are lower than the old low Weaver Top Mounts w/Weaver bases. Not saying there aren't any out here cause of course I haven't tried them all.

I believe the numbers 260Remguy quotes above are pretty much in agreement with what I have measured. The heights are nominally top of the base to bottom of the scope. (Some sites will give you to the center of the tube, meaning you must subtract 0.5" for a 1" tube to compare "apples to apples.")

How low is low? I have a Pre '64 M70 .30-06. With the Weaver one piece base (#96), Weaver Top Mount low's, Leupold 3.5-10 x 40mm, the objective will clear the barrel (but maybe not the rear sight, depending on the sight), and the bolt will just barely NOT touch the ocular. BUT, if you go with Weaver two piece bases (#46 & #47), even the aluminum ones are just a "leeetle" bit lower, the bolt will touch, and you need to use Weaver medium rings. I assume the one piece base is made a touch taller to give clearance to the loading/ejection port. Steel two piece bases like Warne are a bit lower still, but I think the Weaver medium ring will still clear. Modern M70's give a bit better bolt clearance. Low lift bolts like the Browning A-Bolt are good at the bolt and the objective is all you need to concern yourself with.

Point is, as EZEARL says, they will go about as low as you can go and clear the barrel and bolt.

Best,
Gun Doc

Last edited by GunDoc7; 08/14/18.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another reason the Weaver set up is so low is that the steel bases offered are lower, and simpler, than other bases.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Never had a scope slip in the rings. Only maladies have been bases and reticles come loose.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Those of you with experience with Weaver brand rings, what is your opinion of the Sure Grip rings (two screws on each side of the steel strap) compared to the "standard" Top Mount rings (two screws on only one side of the steel strap)?

I have always disliked having to futz around so much getting the reticle straight with the Top Mount rings. The Sure Grips would seem to solve this issue, but I was wondering if they had a downside I didn't know about.

I know the Sure Grips are not available in Low, and I realize there are four more screws to get loose. But beyond those issues, am I missing something?

Thanks so much,
Gun Doc

I bought 6 sets of those Sure Grip rings when I first found them. They are my fave weaver style ring. There is no downside to them as they are a big improvement over the two screw originals. Weaver should dump the original and go with these instead.

Go ahead and buy a couple sets. You'll like them.

This answer for the win. The Weaver "Sure Grip" rings work. And work right.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Anyone ever had a problem with Weaver style rings with the cross screw being round while the Weaver bases are squared? I've never had any that weren't round except for the Weavers.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 458Win
Another reason the Weaver set up is so low is that the steel bases offered are lower, and simpler, than other bases.

I thought the bases were aluminum as well. What a conundrum!

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I know the Grand Slams are steel but the std ones are aluminum. There are also aftermarket Weaver style bases that are steel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer Weaver rings.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by 458Win

I thought the bases were aluminum as well. What a conundrum!

The Weaver bases are aluminum, but the Leupold bases are steel and quite a bit lower as well

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Weaver also makes steel ones.
https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rings-mounts-amp-bases/rifle-bases/grand-slam-bases-prod27339.aspx?avs%7cManufacturer_1=weaver&avs%7cMaterial_1=Steel

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 11 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.