Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, I've been using that basic load for over 40 years now in several .30-06's. The first was a sporterized 1903 Springfield, back when the 200 Partition was a "semi-spitzer," as Nosler called it, one of the screw-machine models. Within 2-3 years, however, they introduced the impact-extrusion spitzer, and I switched. Since then have shot a bunch of big game with it, including pronghorns, whitetails, mule deer, black bear and elk. Haven't used it in a few years, due to "field-testing" other bullets, but it's always worked--and as noted earlier, I've never recovered one, though a 200 from a .300 Weatherby did stay inside a Colorado bull elk on a rear-end shot, made after the bull was still standing up after a slightly low broadside shot. Looked but never found it.

It's probably rattling around in the skull cavity of the mount hanging on your wall...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hello Folks,

Interesting follow up on this topic. I had a similar conversation this weekend with a Japanese Hunter. He has hunted the whole wold and taken hundreds of big game. One of the most frequent and successful big game hunters I've ever met.

He hunts with a 300 weatherby mostly. He has also used the factory 300 weatherby ammo most of his very long successful hunting Career. During the majority of his hunting using Hornady plain old Cup and core bullets that were used in the 300 weatherby cartridge. That is if I recall correctly anyway.

So during my conversation yesterday, He said that many of the animals he shot with that combination just folded in their tracks, and many ran with very large wounds and poor penetration. He and I both understand this is from excessive velocity and close range where the bullets explode on impact. Not really any big news story today for experienced big game hunters.

I told him that in my opinion a 30/06 with a 165TSX shot at the same distance under 200 yards as a 300 mag of any make in 1965 through 1985 with a cup and core bullet would be more lethal. He was quiet and thoughtful about this. Then exclaimed..... Well of course it would because the bullet is so far superior at the shorter range. He then added that it would still be better to 300 yards not just my suggestion of 200 yards. However beyond 300yards they stay well matched in killing power until you get to the further distances of 500 or more yards. That is where the additional velocity of the bigger Weatherby cartridge makes the difference.

To make this more clear, this is a fella that loves the 300 weatherby magnum and has killed many of the worlds greatest trophies with that rifle. Yet in his own words he thinks that the old 30/06 with a TSX is likely a better killer under 300 with this bullet, and maybe equal lethal power out to 400! Now of course if you were to load a 180TSX into the 300 weatherby that is the clearly more lethal combination. However if we think about this 165TSX from a 30/06 being equal to the 300 win mag of 1958 or so through 1990ish this is quite an achievement for this old cartridge.

Remember that the 300 mags were thought to be the king of the hill back then, and yet they could not equal the 30/06 today with a 24" barrel modern available powders and TSX bullets! The TSX today is almost like converting a 30/06 into a magnum cartridge of the 60's 70's and 80's era. At least under 400 yards. Which for 99% of the population should be further than they should be shooting anyway!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Hello Folks,

Interesting follow up on this topic. I had a similar conversation this weekend with a Japanese Hunter. He has hunted the whole wold and taken hundreds of big game. One of the most frequent and successful big game hunters I've ever met.

He hunts with a 300 weatherby mostly. He has also used the factory 300 weatherby ammo most of his very long successful hunting Career. During the majority of his hunting using Hornady plain old Cup and core bullets that were used in the 300 weatherby cartridge. That is if I recall correctly anyway.

So during my conversation yesterday, He said that many of the animals he shot with that combination just folded in their tracks, and many ran with very large wounds and poor penetration. He and I both understand this is from excessive velocity and close range where the bullets explode on impact. Not really any big news story today for experienced big game hunters.

I told him that in my opinion a 30/06 with a 165TSX shot at the same distance under 200 yards as a 300 mag of any make in 1965 through 1985 with a cup and core bullet would be more lethal. He was quiet and thoughtful about this. Then exclaimed..... Well of course it would because the bullet is so far superior at the shorter range. He then added that it would still be better to 300 yards not just my suggestion of 200 yards. However beyond 300yards they stay well matched in killing power until you get to the further distances of 500 or more yards. That is where the additional velocity of the bigger Weatherby cartridge makes the difference.

To make this more clear, this is a fella that loves the 300 weatherby magnum and has killed many of the worlds greatest trophies with that rifle. Yet in his own words he thinks that the old 30/06 with a TSX is likely a better killer under 300 with this bullet, and maybe equal lethal power out to 400! Now of course if you were to load a 180TSX into the 300 weatherby that is the clearly more lethal combination. However if we think about this 165TSX from a 30/06 being equal to the 300 win mag of 1958 or so through 1990ish this is quite an achievement for this old cartridge.

Remember that the 300 mags were thought to be the king of the hill back then, and yet they could not equal the 30/06 today with a 24" barrel modern available powders and TSX bullets! The TSX today is almost like converting a 30/06 into a magnum cartridge of the 60's 70's and 80's era. At least under 400 yards. Which for 99% of the population should be further than they should be shooting anyway!

And John nosler got pissed when he lost a big bull moose while using that type of c&C bullet. He knew hunters needed better/stronger bullets way back then. At the time, he was also using a 300 magnum (H&H). While you guys vaunt the mono metal as being "the best", there's a bullet that all else have been compared to (since 1947). That bullet is not the tsx. The hunter in your story would have been extremely well equipped with a nosler partition in the 165-220gr range. We ALL know c&c's are severely lacking in a magnum at close range. Hell, I knew that when I was 12 years old. You are trying to paint a picture for us saying there's nothing better, but to me it looks more like a smoke cloud. You can take that smoke and blow it up someone else's arse. Because most of us aren't buying it wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, Thanks for the great insight!

I'll keep this experience from disrupting the masses here! No need for any combination of smoke and ass to complicate things for "most of you"

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Wow, Thanks for the great insight!

I'll keep this experience from disrupting the masses here! No need for any combination of smoke and ass to complicate things for "most of you"

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Here's one of my comments from much earlier in this thread:

"Yeah, I've shot a bunch of big game since 1977 with the 200 Partition and haven't recovered one yet--though one did stay inside a bull elk shot up the wazoo. Didn't find the bullet, but the elk died pronto. (The bull had been shot before, a little off-center, and wander off about 80-90 yards before stopping. The rear-end shot was the finisher.)

"But monolithics do the same thing with lighter bullets, reducing recoil. Though that doesn't mean I've quit using 200 Partitions.

"Monolithics kill quicker when they break shoulders, but on rib shots (as JJ Hack noted) animals can go a ways. In hunting, including Africa, we can't always count on breaking one or both shoulders, so as he noted the blood trail from monos can definitely help."

Also mentioned in a later post that various other bullets have basically the same performance as the Barnes TSX--and my wife and I have been using some of them since the 1990's. As far as I can tell (and I tend to analyze wound channels, penetration, blood trails and how far animals travel after the shot pretty closely) there isn't a noticeable difference in the performance of the Barnes bullets, and the Hornady GMX, Nosler E-Tip and the discontinued Winchester Fail Safe. They all penetrate great, usually exit--and don't kill as quickly on typical broadside rib shots as several lead-cores bullets.

My personal jury is still out on monolithic bullets designed to lose their petals, since they sometimes don't penetrate as deeply, or result in as large an exit hole as bullets retaining at least some of their petals. But have seen quite a few Barnes and similar bullets lose all their petals and still kill well, probably because they usually lose them when hitting relatively heavy bone near the entrance hole. Though not always. Have found "petals" near the exit hole once in a while, including on the outside of the exit hole.

But as JJ pointed out, in Africa the blood trail from an exit often turns out to be more important than how quickly an animal drops.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I saw the giant 'instant' cloud of dust as a herd of blue wildebeest thundered off, glad my 375 crushed the bulls shoulder, I saw him fall. cool

Trump Won!
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
bsa,
How many animals have you shot with monometals?

How many monometals have you shot period?

600 bullets just getting ready for my Zambia trip, and at least another 500 for Namibia.
Shot a barrel out on a 22-250 shooting 53gr TSX's.
Have not even gotten to the 270's yet...….. grin
I normally keep 4 boxes of 130gr GMX, T/TSX, LRX and NBT on my reloading shelf at all times. I am down right now, but guess how much loaded ammunition I have with said bullets?

So let's please refrain from the smoke comments, lest we start thinking you be the one smokin……. cool

The OP asked about three bullets, obviously the best performer would be a NPT, but it happens to be the worse shooting.

A monometal would shoot better and perform better. Why not suggest it to him?

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Hello Folks,

And John nosler got pissed when he lost a big bull moose while using that type of c&C bullet. He knew hunters needed better/stronger bullets way back then. At the time, he was also using a 300 magnum (H&H). While you guys vaunt the mono metal as being "the best", there's a bullet that all else have been compared to (since 1947). That bullet is not the tsx. The hunter in your story would have been extremely well equipped with a nosler partition in the 165-220gr range. We ALL know c&c's are severely lacking in a magnum at close range. Hell, I knew that when I was 12 years old. You are trying to paint a picture for us saying there's nothing better, but to me it looks more like a smoke cloud. You can take that smoke and blow it up someone else's arse. Because most of us aren't buying it wink

A lotta smoke blown here. JJ is spot on

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TTSX,GMX, Partitions, TSX, & E-TIP are all seem to be very good bullets. It seems to be like comparing a 270 with a 280 or comparing a 7x57 with a 7mm-08 or comparing a 300 Win Mag with a 300 WSM or even the 300 Super.
Which one is best??? The answer is -- 6 or a half dozen, you pick.
These bullets all work very well evidently, though my experience with those listed is that I have not had extensive use with any except the partitions. I started using them when I had a 264 and experienced a bullet failure, I've never regretted using partitions. I'm just starting to use the mono bullets (other than wheel weight which may be called a mono bullet, I suppose). It is hard for an old fart to switch from a bullet and cartridge that always seems to work very well. (I'm stuck in the 60's, I know.) When I go for elk I have used premium bullets, except an early elk hunt I used what was supposed to be a new "premium" bullet, but the bullet was way over praised and way under performed. (They corrected the problem, but I've never bought another box of that "premium" bullet.) I still have a partial box of those bullets as a reminder of the poor choice I made based on un-warranted praise by people who should have known better.

I use Interlock bullets a lot with my hunting loads, especially for small game like white-tail deer. I've expermented with 22-250 to 300 Win Mag on white tail. I can't remember any that I can blame on the cartridge, though I've used a couple of bullets that were a poor choice. I don't often use cartridges that push bullets much faster than 3,000 fps so using premium bullets seems like an un-neccessary expense. I think I have more than a dozen boxes of partitions on my shelves and I'm too old to shoot them all. The main use of the new mono bullet for me is to satisfy curiosity.

If I were to take the 30-06 to Africa, I think 180 grain partitions may be what I'd use. But I'm not sure if I'd be taking my favorite cartridge (30-06) to Africa, might though. Why partitions? Because I've used them for close to 50 years without any failures and I'd expect good results if I shot through a shoulder or through the ribs or up through the democrat end of the animal.

Last edited by Bugger; 08/14/18.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
"democrat end" I'm stealing that one! grin

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Hunting bud and his son love the 168 TTSX in their .30-378 and 300 RUM. Those things are deadly on about anything.

They've been to Africa and did well.

I have some of those to try in my 300 Win., along with 200 NPT's.

DF

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
JJ,

Your posts and sharing of your vast experience, IMO, have done anything but 'complicate things for most of us'- in fact, I believe your writings have done the opposite.
In the world of Internet BS, experience is often shouted down by folks whose personal preferences and bias seem to prevent civil discussion.
I hope you keep posting and replying to threads here in the Africa forum and elsewhere. Your wisdom and experience is much appreciated.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I had a rebarreled Mod 70 FWT 80's PF in 30-06, early 90's. For grins I tested the Hornady Light Magnum, 180 sbt and it shot 1 1/4" for 3, but clocked (chrony) an average of 2910. I was jazzed, as this is 300 H&H speeds. I tried them on my first cow elk hunt. I dropped one running at 135 steps, broke her back slightly behind the shoulder and the bullet had broke it but was wadded up right there. When I was about 100yds from her, she tried to get up and I popped her high lungs. That bullet came apart, I found it in fragments against the far ribs, lungs were shredded. Federal's High Energy came out later, with the 180 Partition. They clocked 2970! My rifle had a short throat and they were "kissing the lands". I never hunted with them but I gave that rifle and 5 boxes of the same Lot# to a Missionary friend of mine in South Africa. He has used them on small & big antelope right to and including Cape Eland. But that is 300WM speeds! I was going to use that rifle with the 220 partition for my first SA hunt in '96. The Federal HE rounds weren't available to me then, but with the short throat I had to seat them very deep, had to use compressed load for any real speed, and the soft nose ended up with a big deforming "ring" from the die. As I was "pondering my next move, I found a used Mod 700 Classic in 35 Whelen! Bingo! I had it tricked out, reamed to the Ackley Improved and used the Barnes 250X. I was "ruined" from then on! I only recovered 2, both from lengthwise shots on Kudu and zebra. Hartebeast, Blue Wildebeast, Gemsbok drts!
I made 4 more hunts, with one of them in Namibia. I used 300WM/180xbt; 338wm/200X; 340W/210xbt and 375H&H/270 Fail Safes. I'm sure a Nosler partition would have done the same as we shot nothing heavier than zebra (which are like shooting a stump, ha) no Cape Buffalo. For antelope and zebra, I too think the 165/168 monos would be the berries in a 30-06. To me, in monos, because they are so long, the 180s belong in the 300WinMag and the 200s, if even used, belong in the 300W/300 RUM. I have only used the 200 Accubond in the 300 RUM. Several of us used a braked (Mod 700 Classic) 300WM/180xbt from Impala, Springbok, Blesbok, Gemsbok, Hartebeest, Blue Wildebeest, Kudu and zebra. Pure poison.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 08/14/18.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Several of us used a braked (Mod 700 Classic) 300WM/180xbt from Impala, Springbok, Blesbok, Gemsbok, Hartebeest, Blue Wildebeest, Kudu and zebra. Pure poison.

How was the brake received? Heard PH’s don’t like them. I ask because I have a great light weight 300 Win but it has a brake.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They are beyond annoying to most professional hunters I know. It’s brutal as hunter having that excessive blast over and over after a week of hunting
A PH standing to the side of you looking through field glasses at the shot totally focused on the impact feels the full concussion as well as the blast!
Now imagine this several weeks in a row from 2x1 hunters both using muzzle brakes!

It’s a miserable position to be in as a PH! I’m telling you this from first hand experience. Rare for a polite professional classy PH to complain but know In his mind he will be cursing every shot that hunter takes!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Using a muzzle brake in the presence of your professional hunter is as thoughtless as blowing your second hand cigarette smoke in the face of your newborn child.

Increase the weight of your rifle or get a cartridge you can manage.

Last edited by RinB; 08/14/18.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RinB
Using a muzzle brake in the presence of your professional hunter is as thoughtless as blowing your second hand cigarette smoke in the face of your newborn child.

Possibly the best post in the history of this website.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

About what I thought.

I don't like brakes, this one came so equipped.

I would take something else if I went to Africa, have plenty to chose from... smile

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

THIS

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 54 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,308
Posts18,487,182
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.