Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs
Our family has done well ( Jocko's Restaurant Nipomo CA) using a mix of 12 parts salt, two parts granulated garlic, one part pepper by volume to season their steaks. They have been busy for over 60 years using that mix with well aged beef ......

Amen to Jocko's

We have eaten at your place 3 times, wish we lived closer.

If you haven't seen the pit they use, and I believe red oak wood, you're missing out.

Last edited by hemiallen; 08/15/18.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
For me it's coarse salt and black pepper.

For the grill, yes to this !

If doing in roaring hot cast iron, S&P both sides of room temp steaks, sear to form crust & once flipped add good pat of butter & some thyme or rosemary springs, once foamy, continually spoon over cooked side until internal of 118-120.

Let rest to redistribute juices.

Once ready for the table/plate, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.

Trust me, outta dis world !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hemiallen
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs
Our family has done well ( Jocko's Restaurant Nipomo CA) using a mix of 12 parts salt, two parts granulated garlic, one part pepper by volume to season their steaks. They have been busy for over 60 years using that mix with well aged beef ......

Amen to Jocko's
We have eaten at your place 3 times, wish we lived closer.
If you haven't seen the pit they use, and I believe red oak wood, you're missing out.

Jocko’s is a Central Coast Institution. Was a faithful monthly stop when I was managing a few businesses In the are in the 90’s.

Need to get back there some day.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Melted butter in a hot cast iron skillet, salt and pepper only... no need for anything else.

Phil

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I buy angus steaks and cook on a charcoal grill with no seasoning.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by KFWA
I love Dales

I've been to some of the best steak houses around (favorite is the Tomahawk) but Dales has ruined me on eating any steak coming from a chain. There is no flavor at all with Outback or Texas Roadhouse steaks.

Step up your game, make your own marinade.

nah, I'm a Dales guy, have been for going on 30 years now. Its so popular around here, Kroger even makes a knockoff brand of it.

I don't doubt that if I was serious about it I could do what you said but I have no problem buying $9 a pound NY strips at Costco , marinating them in Dales for 4 hours and throwing them on the grill.

That's my wheel house when it comes to steaks. Anything more high brow than that would be putting lipstick on a pig (or cow in this case) at my house.

You do that to a strip steak?

I am MAGA.
Just some salt and pepper if its a high quality steak! My good friend owns a micro brewery and he gives me all of the mash after he makes beer with it. I fatten beefs on it for 120-150 days and boy do they make a steak! Cutum with a fork and melt in ur mouth.

Anybody wanna go hunt rocks?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Farmerbrown32
Just some salt and pepper if its a high quality steak! My good friend owns a micro brewery and he gives me all of the mash after he makes beer with it. I fatten beefs on it for 120-150 days and boy do they make a steak! Cutum with a fork and melt in ur mouth.

Nordakoda "Kobe" beef. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Very nice. Love the seafood with prairie food.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Btw a ribeye is the best steak on the planet. Just felt the need to throw that out there.

It's quite possibly the best food on the planet, period.

Why wreck it. Salt and pepper is all it needs.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Pepper before but salt after it's off the grill. Good steak needs to sit out a goodish while before it's cooked to sit at room temperature.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh boy, Katie bar the doors. Hope Big Jim is one his tractor. LOL

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
There are grill masters that say no cracked black pepper before putting on a hot grill or hot pan because the pepper just burns anyway. Same with granulated garlic and Montreal steak seasoning. I tend to agree.

I usually use EVOO and sea salt. Some S & P while it's resting. I also like Paula Deen's house spice mix of 1 part kosher salt with 1/4 garlic powder and 1/4 ground pepper. Good stuff.

I also use Lawry's and Montreal Steak seasoning, depending on what I'm feeling that day. Basting with a compound butter takes it to another level.

Steak tip of the day: make sure the meat is at room temp before cooking. Thank me later.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I love Dales

I've been to some of the best steak houses around (favorite is the Tomahawk) but Dales has ruined me on eating any steak coming from a chain. There is no flavor at all with Outback or Texas Roadhouse steaks.

Step up your game, make your own marinade.

nah, I'm a Dales guy, have been for going on 30 years now. Its so popular around here, Kroger even makes a knockoff brand of it.

I don't doubt that if I was serious about it I could do what you said but I have no problem buying $9 a pound NY strips at Costco , marinating them in Dales for 4 hours and throwing them on the grill.

That's my wheel house when it comes to steaks. Anything more high brow than that would be putting lipstick on a pig (or cow in this case) at my house.

I love Dales! Really good with grilled fish too. I don't use it on my favorite cuts of grilling beef though.Usually london broils, some sirloins, etc....it's great.

A bit off topic, used to be a dive in Atlanta called Fuzzy's place. Joe Dale of Dales steak sauce fame ran the kitchen and holy schit was the food good. Joe Dale had owned a bunch of restaurants, created the steak sauce etc...but cooked at this tiny dive bar/music club through the 90's.

I just read it had closed some time ago and Joe Dale died back in 07.

Godspeed!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
There are grill masters that say no cracked black pepper before putting on a hot grill or hot pan because the pepper just burns anyway. Same with granulated garlic and Montreal steak seasoning. I tend to agree.

I usually use EVOO and sea salt. Some S & P while it's resting. I also like Paula Deen's house spice mix of 1 part kosher salt with 1/4 garlic powder and 1/4 ground pepper. Good stuff.

I also use Lawry's and Montreal Steak seasoning, depending on what I'm feeling that day. Basting with a compound butter takes it to another level.

Steak tip of the day: make sure the meat is at room temp before cooking. Thank me later.

Pepper does burn of course, and can get a bit bitter when it does. I like to pepper after grilling, but it sure don't hurt my feelings to pepper before.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Talking to a person at Ruth Chris, they told me all they use is salt, pepper, butter and garlic - and their meat is aged 21 days.

I don't know anything about aging meat 21 days. I can't keep deli ham for more than 7!

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

I put nothing but salt for the hot pan method. My grilling is more gentle and there are no problems.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Farmerbrown32

Me too! I work for a brewing company. Twice a week I haul four or five 32 gallon cans of spent grain to my steers. Mix half a barrel of it with a bit of cattle fattner or some sweet feed and they love the schit out of it!

The boys is getting fat and happy!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

sure - no complaints at my house.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (160user, 16gage, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,772 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,302
Posts18,525,996
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.