Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I see Winchester brass is again becoming more available and in what maybe considered odd or low volume calibers again. I used to use Winchester exclusively until it became hard to find during the Obama years. I was always told it was the best domestic brass at the time. Over the last several years I have read how its brass hasn't been very good however.

What is the consensus of the quality of Winchester brass these days? I mostly have switched to Hornady and some Nosler.

HR IC

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I buy once and cry once when I purchase Nosler brass....love it. WW has been inconsistent with me over the past few years. Twenty years ago, that was not the case.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I buy once and cry once when I purchase Nosler brass....love it. WW has been inconsistent with me over the past few years. Twenty years ago, that was not the case.

Is it more expensive than, Lapua or Weatherby? If so.....that’s criminal! wink memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I see Winchester brass is again becoming more available and in what maybe considered odd or low volume calibers again. I used to use Winchester exclusively until it became hard to find during the Obama years. I was always told it was the best domestic brass at the time. Over the last several years I have read how its brass hasn't been very good however.

What is the consensus of the quality of Winchester brass these days? I mostly have switched to Hornady and some Nosler.

It's crap now days. Read the other posts here about their recent lack of quality. I'd look at Lapua, or if you don't want to spend that kind of money, check out sig sauer brass. It has been excellent from my experience, but sold in a limited amount of chamberings. Another great, but overlooked, option is starline. They have been producing exceptional pistol brass for years and are now making rifle brass. I'd stay away from new manufacture winchester brass though.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I have used some of the brands you folks have mentioned, but so far Winchester is the only maker of .356 brass I know of. I have purchased Nosler .257 Rob brass when it was on sale recently. If Nosler magnum cases weren't so expensive I would try more.

Sorry to here about the low quality of WW brass. I guess I'll buy it for calibers no one else makes.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My son bought me 50 for the 7 RM. Sorting them, I found more that a few with wrinkled necks..not impressed.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
When I found wrinkles they were like pleats in the shoulder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been using WW brass almost exclusively for 30+ years. Have never experienced any of the "problems" found in these threads. Same goes for Leupold scopes. Guess I'm luckier than I thought.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I bought some loaded Winchester 223 Varmint and Predator for five bucks on closeout and several of the cases had some tiny dents in them.

But the nickel plated Supreme that I splurged fifteen on looked real real nice.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I am with "winchester70" on statement above.
But all manufacturers have small issues now and then.
I like reasonably good quality at a reasonably good price and EXCEPTIONAL service.
just my 2 cents

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven’t bought any Winchester rifle brass in several years, but I did purchase a couple hundred 45 Colt brass recently that was fine except for the usual partial resizing to retain a .452” bullet.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have a lot of Winchester brass and Leupold scopes too. Never an issue.

Yep im a fan of winchester brass and leupold scopes also. I have had good luck with winchester brass in my 300wsm’s over the years.

Anybody wanna go hunt rocks?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How much Winchester brass have you gone through in the last few years?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Winchester was using possibly a couple different out sourced companies for their brass. The lots I got about two years ago in a white bag sucked. I should get stick to write me a letter about them. Other more recent batches in the old familiar blue bag were fine. When I say fine I mean the usual: iron out necks, uniform primer pockets from both ends, trim and if in an anal mood sort for weight, discard about 5%, then you would have some good brass. I am not too OCD about sorting brass but if I want 50-75 cases I buy 100 of the same lot number and then am pleasantly surprised if I end up with 90 or more that are ready to load.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1lessdog, 19rabbit52, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 67 invisible), 3,129 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,312
Posts18,526,268
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.