Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What are you guys using for backcountry phone chargers?

Camofire has the Goal Zero Flip 20 and 30 listed today. I was all set to buy until I looked at the Goal Zero website - not Samsung S8 compatible. Of course I have a Samsung S8.......

I also ran across the Anker power packs but they don't seem to be weatherproof. They seem to be well respected and have many 4-5 star reviews but wonder about the weatherproof feature or lack thereof.

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You wouldn't want to packpack this but it you use pack animals, take a look at the XP-10 jump starter. It's made to jump start large engines (including diesels) but it will also recharge phones, GPS's, etc. I can recharge my phone a dozen times or more and still have enough left to start an engine at the end of the trip. It'll recharge lights, computers, and many other electronics, anything that uses 12v, 19v, or USB.
This is their big one but they also make smaller versions. This one is 9" long and weighs 18oz. Of course the smaller ones won't start as large of engines.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13060310#Post13060310

My solution. Solar charger can be attached to your pack, open and working. Backup battery inside pack, and attached if charging or phone. Output is USB and cord is OSB standard and the black adapter on the end came with your phone. (I have the same phone) adapter is for USB-C

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I got one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075XFF9JG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My hiking buddy was given one for Christmas 2016 and carried it on our annual hike in July 2017. We camped by a long skinny lake in a fault along a ridge line. He didn't have service with his carrier. I had service but my phone was operating on analog which uses a lot more power and my batteries went dead. We were able to recharge my phone with his charger thus were able to stay in contact with his wife back home who was keeping us abreast of a nearby forest fire, size, expansion, etc. Though we "ate smoke" overnight, we knew we still had a good margin between us and the actual fire. I would not have stayed based on only what we could see so that charger saved us a fairly risky night hike out.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I got one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075XFF9JG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My hiking buddy was given one for Christmas 2016 and carried it on our annual hike in July 2017. We camped by a long skinny lake in a fault along a ridge line. He didn't have service with his carrier. I had service but my phone was operating on analog which uses a lot more power and my batteries went dead. We were able to recharge my phone with his charger thus were able to stay in contact with his wife back home who was keeping us abreast of a nearby forest fire, size, expansion, etc. Though we "ate smoke" overnight, we knew we still had a good margin between us and the actual fire. I would not have stayed based on only what we could see so that charger saved us a fairly risky night hike out.

Tom

Those work fine as a battery. But the solar panel output is so small it would take a week of full sun to fully charge it.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes, and they are kind of heavy to an ounce-counter. Under normal circumstances, I just charge everything fully at home / on the drive to the trailhead, then power down things I'm not using. Because we were more or less constantly in touch with home base regarding the nearby fire(s), the phone was on full time. This is the only time I've ever run one clear down.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a Dark Energy Poseidon. It even powers a Labradar at the range. Edit: probably overkill for hunting, but it does work well!

Last edited by prm; 08/15/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Yes, and they are kind of heavy to an ounce-counter. Under normal circumstances, I just charge everything fully at home / on the drive to the trailhead, then power down things I'm not using. Because we were more or less constantly in touch with home base regarding the nearby fire(s), the phone was on full time. This is the only time I've ever run one clear down.

Understood, and a wise precaution. My flashlight, ham radio, phone, all charge off USB. With solar charger and backup battery, it covers my needs. Too bad my GPS required batteries.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Anker. I took a 20k mWh Anker on my last backcountry trip. Kept my iPhone going for five days as needed with no issues whatsoever. I also took an Anker solar charger for the battery in case it needed recharging. It did not.
I left the entirety behind with the guides, they were thrilled with it. Less than $100 for all of it. I bought another Anker battery at Walmart to replace it and it kept my family going on their ten day church trip. Can't say enough good about it.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Since this is a backpack-hunting forum (in theory), I’d like to know what everyone’s chargers weigh?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Brad
Since this is a backpack-hunting forum (in theory), I’d like to know what everyone’s chargers weigh?

Umm, too much... Actually (edit 8.8oz). But it does power multiple devices for multiple people. The one you listed is likely more appropriate for a solo backpack trip.

Last edited by prm; 08/15/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bwinters

I also ran across the Anker power packs but they don't seem to be weatherproof. They seem to be well respected and have many 4-5 star reviews..

Anker gets its battery cells from high quality manufacturers like Sanyo, Panasonic, LG and Samsung.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Very little, but I don't have a scale to measure it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by prm

Umm, too much... Actually (edit 8.8oz). But it does power multiple devices for multiple people. The one you listed is likely more appropriate for a solo backpack trip.

8.8 oz, while heavy, isn’t too bad for a group. Definitely not weight I’d carry solo.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kellory

I looked yours up... 18oz! No way I’d pack that.

But I don’t have too laugh

KC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
First, remember that you won't have an Internet connection in the backcountry. So the only electronic device you should be carrying is a smart phone or tablet with a GPS and USGS mapping program. I use a Samsung tablet for that purpose and I carry a small recharge battery in case I forget to turn it off at night. It weighs 3.3 ounces. I weighed it on my wife's kitchen scale.

Portable Charger

Remember that your GPS is not a substitute for a map and compass. It's just there to augment your map & compass.

Last edited by KC; 08/16/18.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I looked yours up... 18oz! No way I’d pack that.

But I don’t have too laugh

To each his own. I know, with enough money, I could carry aluminum climbing stands, or even titanium If I could find one, but i will not spend that kind of money to save a little weight. I carry a steel climber. I know weight adds up, but ultra light gear is not in the budget. Common sense, however, is. Streamline what you will need, try for multi-use items that actually work, and plan ahead, and you can go oldskool instead of counting ounces. For every battery I do not have to carry, that solar charger pays for itself. It's about making choices with an eye to long term.
Sometimes that means a game cart, or sled, or a bicycle with panniers.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I carry a steel climber. I know weight adds up, but ultra light gear is not in the budget. Common sense, however, is.

It all depends on where and how you hunt. If you hunt where I'm going in a few weeks, common sense would dictate that you leave the steel climber at home.

Or any kind of climber for that matter.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

To each his own. I know, with enough money, I could carry aluminum climbing stands, or even titanium If I could find one, but i will not spend that kind of money to save a little weight. I carry a steel climber. I know weight adds up, but ultra light gear is not in the budget. Common sense, however, is. Streamline what you will need, try for multi-use items that actually work, and plan ahead, and you can go oldskool instead of counting ounces. For every battery I do not have to carry, that solar charger pays for itself. It's about making choices with an eye to long term.
Sometimes that means a game cart, or sled, or a bicycle with panniers.

My mistake. I assumed, given this is a backpacking forum, you were a backpacker.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1minute, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,081 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,871
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.