Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
The only coated bullets I've ever used was the Winchester Gold Partitions that came out years ago. They were moly coated. In my experience I had to shoot about a dozen rounds before they would start grouping. After using up them up I never bought anymore.

I'm considering buying Ballistic Silvertips for loading 30-06. I don't want them if they effect the barrel like the moly coated bullets did. If you've used them what has been your experience.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Winchester coating is Black Oxide.I have some rifles that shoot them really well and others that hate them.If I have a choice,I'd just as soon have the uncoated bullets.Some calibers don't offer you that choice like the 200gr .338.Nosler no longer offers the 200gr Ballistic Tip,but you can get the 200gr Winchester.
https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Rifle/Ballistic-Silvertip

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Each barrel is different. Some of my rifles show no difference and I can switch back and forth. Others react like they do with Moly where I have to shoot 1-6 "fouling" shots and I can't switch back and forth. If I have a choice I go naked. For the rifles that need the break in I have soaked the bullets in acetone and then wiped off the Lubaloy with steel wool. This for rifle I knew I would be switching back and forth. If the coated are all you use there are some minor advantages. Slightly higher but not significant velocity but they can also reduce it or require slightly more powder to get the same velocity. With a good bore they run cleaner. A really rough or fouled barrel could strip some of the coating but I have not had this problem.

I ran into some Fail Safes that had moly but that is an exception most had the Lubaloy oxide coating.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They can be accurate.Ran some test loads on my new 338-06 with the 200gr Nosler silver ballistic tips.
[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

432 members (1badf350, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 204guy, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,472,005
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.