-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 455 .22lr Varmint and a 455 .17HMR American both are excellent. Triggers need work from the factory but are easy to work on. Like the old Winchester triggers.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Middlefork, I picked up a 550-1 last year. I haven't really gotten around to shooting it that much yet.
I did a quick bedding job on the 455 .22 lr, it sure didn't hurt its accuracy any

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I have a 455 American in .22 LR. With a Weaver V-16 scope and good ammunition it will shoot consistent half inch 5 shot groups at 50 yards. I reduced the trigger pull with a Yo Dave kit. It's a great rifle for the money.

R
R
I bought a CZ 455 American because of all the hype. It is mediocre at best. Trigger is terrible. I put in a lighter spring and now it is less terrible but gritty and not good. Shoots near the worst of my 8 rimfires. I guess I got a lemon but I won't be buying anymore. They say the CZ452s are better but they are hard to find.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Rokko
I bought a CZ 455 American because of all the hype. It is mediocre at best. Trigger is terrible. I put in a lighter spring and now it is less terrible but gritty and not good. Shoots near the worst of my 8 rimfires. I guess I got a lemon but I won't be buying anymore. They say the CZ452s are better but they are hard to find.

Whittaker's and Bud's both have 452 Americans in .22LR in stock, if you really want one.The price has climbed a bit.

My first 455 was a stinker, too, but I persisted and the two I have now are every bit the equals to my 452. They can be fussy about the ammo that shoots well in them, try some SK Std+, or some CCI MiniMag HP Segmented, and shoot it for several hundred rounds before making any rash decisions. They take some "shooting in" at first, at least mine did. I can get 1/2"-3/4" out of CCI Blazers, for cheap ammo, or a fuzz better with the MiniMags and Aguila SE-HV. That's about as fancy as I get with ammo, just regular old plinking stuff. I don't buy match ammo, I don't shoot matches. Give your 455 another chance at it.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by gonzaga
Middlefork, I picked up a 550-1 last year. I haven't really gotten around to shooting it that much yet.
I did a quick bedding job on the 455 .22 lr, it sure didn't hurt its accuracy any

Take it along with that 455 the next time you go shooting....let us know which one you'd keep if you could only choose one....

R
R
Well, I have already shot hundreds of rounds out of it with poor performance. I have shot SK+ and several other brands of SV ammo which are the most accurate out of my other rimfire bolt action rifles. I haven't tried HV ammo, so I will try blazers and mini-mags as you suggest to see how they do. Thanks for the info!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Send it to me Rokko, I'll get it fixed for you....😉

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I like my 22lr, I bought the extra 17hmr barrel and they just wouldn't feed well...so I sent the barrel down the road. I can keep it in a quarter at 50yards with cci standards. I picked up an old winchester 320 that will out shoot it though

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rokko
Well, I have already shot hundreds of rounds out of it with poor performance. I have shot SK+ and several other brands of SV ammo which are the most accurate out of my other rimfire bolt action rifles. I haven't tried HV ammo, so I will try blazers and mini-mags as you suggest to see how they do. Thanks for the info!

Mine really likes the Federal AutoMatch bulk stuff. Half inch groups at 50 yards are very common. The Fed American Eagle stuff shoots really well also. You do get an occasional flyer with the cheap stuff but for the most part it is very accurate and cheap - just the way a .22 should be.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
A local gunsmith in OC said that due to the magazine location, bedding the 455 doesn't do much good, and isn't easy. Has anyone here had any problems bedding your 455?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
A local gunsmith in OC said that due to the magazine location, bedding the 455 doesn't do much good, and isn't easy. Has anyone here had any problems bedding your 455?

Some guys use aluminum tape to bed their 455. I had my first 455 pillar bedded, and frankly, it didn't help a bit with that rifle. I've since sold it, and bought two others, and they shoot much better than the first rifle, without any messing around with the stocks. None, zip, zilch.

I think the serial prefix (A, B, or C) is more of an indicator on whether or not it needs messing with. My first rifle was an "A" prefix (a real early 455) and was a stinker, the other two are "C" prefix and much better shooters. I think it took them awhile to get the kinks out. Check your serial number, and see if you can make it shoot.

Don't think you have to use SV ammo to get the best groups, either, it might like HV ammo like mine do. I shoot a lot of HV ammo, and very little SV, except in a couple of autoloaders, which aren't much shucks with anything else.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Finally got to my paperwork (the rifle is still in jail), and it's a C model. I can hope for the best.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Old Ornery, I hope your rifle shoots as well as my two. My 455 Scout is probably my most accurate .22 rifle. I have a 452 American that is a solid little rifle, and shoots very well, but the 455 shades it pretty much every time I shoot it. My Scout action is living in the synthetic stock that the stainless 455 came in, and the stainless action is living in a walnut American stock. Just dropped in, no fooling around with bedding. Maybe I got lucky, but that little stinker really shoots well.
The Scout stock is made for iron sights, which my eyes don't like any more, so the synthetic stock is a big help.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Old Ornery, I hope your rifle shoots as well as my two. My 455 Scout is probably my most accurate .22 rifle. I have a 452 American that is a solid little rifle, and shoots very well, but the 455 shades it pretty much every time I shoot it. My Scout action is living in the synthetic stock that the stainless 455 came in, and the stainless action is living in a walnut American stock. Just dropped in, no fooling around with bedding. Maybe I got lucky, but that little stinker really shoots well.
The Scout stock is made for iron sights, which my eyes don't like any more, so the synthetic stock is a big help.

Thanks, I hope it shoots well too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fired maybe 80 MMHPs through my SS model yesterday, all at 100 yards. Fired 5, then upped the elevation 4 inches, then started hitting dead-on. The $131 Bushnell Trophy XLT 4-12AO has, so far, dialed well on a bunch of stuff, including a .243.

My SS is bedded full length*, and 100yard groups with the MMs ran from 1"-1 3/4" in a light, variable wind. Some nice tight clusters were spoiled by fliers, typical with such ammo IME. Haven't tried any Match ammo except a few Aguilas, and they weren't any better than MMHPs. This is a 100 yard squirrel gun, IF you know the range anyway. Pretty good gun for $400.

*from the factory

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (10gaugemag, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,891 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,383
Posts18,469,596
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.