Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Ain’t nothing like a week or so in hunting camp to bring out the true character in your hunting companions.

Very true.

Never belonged to a camp, but have taken many out of state hunting and fishing trips with 4+ guys.

Misbehaving drunks.
Outlaws.
Lazy.
Entitled.
Cheap.
Dangerous.
Authoritarian.
Know it all.
Game hogs.

Has to be more.

A lot of guys seem great when we would meet them. All came recommended.
Many weren't ask to go again!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I have hunted with a few once. The Duck hunters here are absolutely the worst. We have public land flooded timber hunting and it is a zoo. It is overrun with the most obnoxious pricks imaginable. Since I hunt for fun I don't duck hunt there anymore.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

The self-appointed camp boss. "Who died and left you in charge?" Of course they have to be confronted and put in their place, but who goes on a hunting trip to deal with dickheads? That's what I did at work, and a hunt is supposed to be a break from that.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco

No, but I petition each day for extra human tags on my license.

I have learned the joking dickhead really doesn’t have a sense of humor after all.

They probably don't like joking around with the guy that was paid to travel the world and assassinate high priority targets.

They still try, but they wake up just after supper if they do, sleepyheads they are.

I’m serious about my huntin, had a fella lock my J-lock and he went to sleep like Rumple Stilskin, thought I’d killed him. Another guy thought it funny to steal my sandwiches, he fell asleep on the side of the red dirt road right where he ate it. Lost count of those who pooped their guts clean from three drops of “food poisoning”. These are grown men and they should know better.

I’m probably the most benign, helpful, quiet, safe, and thoughtful of a hunting partner one could get.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 08/18/18.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my land is in my name ,no club,my son ,daughter,son-in-law and one friend who is like family are all that hunt on my land ever and I give them the better spots always for rifle season. coyote dog hunters hunt my land in winter too otherwise.land is paid for so when I die son and daughter can do what they want with it ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not a lease but public. A coworker ask for several seasons if he could join our party chasing deer on the Idaho side of Hells Canyon. Finally had a drop out and he was invited. Next season comes, and he'd boated into our habitual campsite with about six of his buddies. Fortunately, they decided the country was too tough and quit the area.

If one wants to keep me off of their public ground, simply show me where one hunts, and I'll avoid it. If I stumble on to it on my own, then I don't view it as exclusive.

In another vein our party coordinates all aspects of our trips to avoid equipment duplication, establish arrival/departure times, assure equitable costs, and coordinate hunts, meals, etc. A young son has entered the group, comes and goes at random times, does not eat/sleep with the group, stumbles around the hills and valleys in a random fashion, and readily consumes other's liquid refreshments. Seems he comes with us, but not really. Makes planning almost impossible.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/18/18.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Hunt with a dickhead?

Why would I? I’m there to have fun!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
No! I hunt with this guy....and he ain't a 'Dickhead'!!

[Linked Image]Rick & Brandon Mulhern by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Great looking buck!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can say that again

You can say that again...

Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Ain’t nothing like a week or so in hunting camp to bring out the true character in your hunting companions.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
I belong to a camp with 55 members and 1,000 acres. We have a couple arrogant pricks, freeloaders and fat, lazy slobs but overall the good ones outnumber the a-holes by a long shot.
I think part of the problem is that a lot of guys avoid confrontation, they just want to go to camp and relax & have a good time. I've found that calling out the a-holes is the best way to handle them. Life's to short to take crap from anyone.

55 guys on 1,000 acres? Sounds terrible. I am always amazed at the conditions some guys have to put up with in order to hunt.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MOGC
I belong to a camp with 55 members and 1,000 acres. We have a couple arrogant pricks, freeloaders and fat, lazy slobs but overall the good ones outnumber the a-holes by a long shot.
I think part of the problem is that a lot of guys avoid confrontation, they just want to go to camp and relax & have a good time. I've found that calling out the a-holes is the best way to handle them. Life's to short to take crap from anyone.

55 guys on 1,000 acres? Sounds terrible. I am always amazed at the conditions some guys have to put up with in order to hunt.
Don't have to. There's shytloads of State land to hunt in NY. Some with easy access gets hunted hard but there are more remote areas where you won't see another's boot prints all day. Just depends on what you want. You can also still get permission free for the asking on private land if you put forth the effort. Admittedly that's getting harder but I've gotten permission on several private tracts in my area over the past 10 years just by asking.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have in the past, involuntarily, when the owner of the property I hunted for almost 40 years granddaughter's husbands decided they wanted to hunt it. Since they were "family" I could hardly grumble..........but dang.

They were to "coordinate things" with me and a buddy........they didn't. When out of ear shot of the owner it was "their property" since their mother in law stood to inherit it.....someday, according to them. I could type pages about that mess, but wont. The hassle ruined hunting for me even though I continued to take deer out seasonally. Never knowing what was going happen next just took all the pleasure out of sitting on the property. Even leaving the woods and sitting on the ground in a ditch bank 225 years away, it still honked them off that I shot deer. Wasn't worth it. Realizing I was no longer looking forward to season, I just stopped going.

Since the legalization of centerfires for deer my "game plan" consists of planning on sitting about 150 yards out in a picked corn field that has 800 plus yards of ditch bank on the down hill side of the field and about 12 acres of junk ground on the other side and a couple fence rows T ing into it. I found a spot in the field with a slight rise behind me, so I'm not skylighted, when scouting it out after last year' season. I'll be ok except for bright sunny days.

"No fast moves" will be the SOP. I'll get busted but not by all of the deer. The ditchbank is only visible from one far end from any road. No one could see me without a good set of binocs.

Since no one in their right mind would sit out there........I won't need to worry about ANY other hunters. Period.

Going to be interesting. I may have a good chance on one other spot I squirrel hunted in the past. The guy who deer hunted it for decades passed away a couple weeks back. Don't look like much but it has a pretty regular parade of deer going through at certain phases of the rut.

Hoping.

God bless
Steve

Last edited by Steve692; 08/18/18.

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I belong to a camp with 55 members and 1,000 acres.

Damn.

That's about 50 too many.

What's the success rate on that lease?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I bring a case of beer every year and I dont drink

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lord thank you so much for the wonderful hunting partners I have had. They are with a few exceptions, my family. None of them are trigger happy and are safe with their fire arms and activities when hunting. Few of them drink at all and do not drink at hunting camp and then only a toast to success. They all share in the work and expenses. They all love God and His Creation.

Thanks for Alaska and so much public land! It is not what it was fifty years ago, but still wild and for the most part a free place.

Please bless me and my dear wife with safety and success as we start a month long hunting trip for caribou and moose and please let them be close to one of the trails we will travel with our ATV's. A caribou ain't to bad, but a decent sized moose that has to packed a mile or so will be passed on.

As we are both near 70 now, our days of living out of a back pack and canoe are probably gone, but the memories of the last 53 years are in my mind. The 36' Toy Hauler is a hunters mansion and serves as a good base camp! The blue berries in the sourdough pancakes and bacon will be so good!

My simple rules.

Avoid hunting with some one you do not know well.
Never hunt with drunks.
Never hunt with some one who is not safe with their weapons.
Never hunt with a lazy or moody person, they will drive you nuts!
Hunt the wildest country you have access to.
Plan your hunt well.
Killing a critter is not as important as having a good time.

Last edited by 1Akshooter; 08/18/18.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I belong to a camp with 55 members and 1,000 acres.

Damn.

That's about 50 too many.

What's the success rate on that lease?
Not at all unusual in the Southern half of NY. Almost any piece of private ground will have at least 3-5 people hunting it per 100 acres. Some more than that. One 160 acre tract I hunted years ago regularly had 10 guys hunting it. I killed a buck there by 8:00 am on opening day every year I hunted it. One year out of the 10 of us that hunted it we took 8 bucks and 17 does off that 160 acres. My uncles farm was 147 acres and It wasn't at all uncommon to have 8-10 guys hunting it on opening day. Of course it wasn't posted and everybody in the area knew they could hunt there. Some areas in central and Western NY are way over populated with deer. As many as 50-100 psm according to DEC. The problem is they can't be controlled because it's private ground and many of the landowners won't allow hunting. But if you can get permission in one of those areas wooohoo. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

Last edited by Blackheart; 08/18/18.
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting thread.

Had a wonderful experience of no less than 10 years hunting with a group 2 hours south of the Rio Grande. One of the best times of my life. When it became unsafe to travel there we started making pilgrimages to Argentina. Our group diminished in size from 12 to 5-7 hardcore shot-gunners.

The expense, logistics, and bureaucracy quickly became overly burdensome and the fun factor withered away...

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah 1000 acres in New York is a lot different than 1000 acres out west somewhere....but it still sounds like too many hunters. Sounds dangerous even.😀

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, 55 hunters on 1000 acres was a jaw-dropper here too. Not for me thx...

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 46 invisible), 2,098 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,763
Posts18,495,565
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.