Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I got my first 7mm Rem Mag, a M700 SPS mostly to try out for mule deer/black bear and maybe side of elk or moose if I see one while carrying a tag. I've been a die hard .30 cal guy for 20 years (30-30/308/30-06) so venturing into a 7mm belted mag is a new experience for me.

What do you 7mm mag guys like for factory loads, I got some of the good old Remington green box core lokts to start, anything else really stand out that's worth trying? I will eventually hand load for this rifle like I do for nearly all my hunting rifles but for this hunting season at least, it will be factory ammo only. I will accumulate some once fired brass anyways.

Here is a gratuitous pic of said rifle on its maiden voyage to the range. I just got a half a box through it for a little barrel break in and it's now on paper at 100 yards. Next trip I will try a few loads to see what it might like and see how accuracy is out of the box.

[Linked Image]

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have that exact rifle, also left hand. It now sports a B&C stock and a tuned trigger. I don't shoot factory stuff, but this one really likes 160 Partitions at 3000 fps. There is some good factory ammo out there and I'll bet that rifle will shoot about everything pretty well. I would start with some of the cheaper fodder just to see what happens and then step up to the premium stuff if you so desire. The basic Core lokts etc. will kill just fine, as long as the rifle likes them.

Mine has snuffed one moose and a handful of elk. Seems like a great rifle.

Last edited by sbhooper; 08/20/18.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Thanks sbhooper. I really like this rifle so far, I'm a little ashamed to admit it but in over 20 years shooting and hunting and this is my first Remington M700. Better late than never! I will stick with the factory SPS stock for now as it actually fits me pretty well, and I like the grippy panels, seems like a serviceable stock. I think this winter after hunting season is over, I will get it bedded and free float the barrel and probably upgrade to a Timney trigger.

The 160 gr nosler pt will be near the top of my list for reloading would you mind sharing your load? Of course I plan to start low and work up.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Whatever 140 grain load you have access to.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A few years back,my Marine son-in-law picked up a used tikka T3Lite in 7mm Mag for a song. since he likes to hunt this big deep hole of a canyon, its light weight appealed to him. Anyhow, I accompanied him to the range to zero and he just bought a box of HSM ammo with the 168 Berger. That rifle just wadded them into one big hole at 100! Anyhow, he shot a 5pt bull opening AM around 250yds, got complete penetration behind the shoulder. I thought that was pretty good! We have had real good success in other calibers with the Federal Premiums, Barnes Vortex, and the higher end Winchester. Lightest I ever loaded was the original 120X, back int he 90s, I would be tempted to try the 120TTSX today! Good luck to you, great caliber and rifle!

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 08/20/18.
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
A generic load that shoots well fro me is 65 grains of H 4350 with a Federal 215 primer and any 150grain bullet your rifle likes.
The Nosler BT is a good place to start.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
A generic load that shoots well fro me is 65 grains of H 4350 with a Federal 215 primer and any 150grain bullet your rifle likes.
The Nosler BT is a good place to start.
John

Are you sure about that load of 65 gr H4350, I just checked the online Hodgdon load guide as to where that might fall for velocity and they list 55 as start and 57 as max at 50,100 CUP and 2859 fps. I don't think that is even at max pressure but 8 gr over that seems a bit high?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"What do you 7mm mag guys like for factory loads..."

You lost me at "factory".

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't shoot a lot of factory stuff in my 7 mag. I've got great handloads using the 145 and 160 gr. Speer Grand Slam. A friend passed away and his widow gave me several boxes of 7 mag ammunition that he had saved. He usually bought the latest and greatest fodder to hit the market and when he found one that his rifle liked he went back and would buy 5 more boxes of the same lot. The one that shot the best in my Browning 1885 Single Shot was some 150 gr. Federal Premium. It shoots less than .5 MOA when I do my part and at 3150 fps. The bullet appeared to be the 150 gr. Sierra BTSP, but I wasn't sure. I emailed Federal with the lot number and they confirmed that it was the 150 gr. Sierra and that Federal put the cannelure in it before loading. I'm not sure that's true or not, but that's what they said. I've got one full box left and I'm being pretty stingy with them.

I've got a full box of Remington Core-Locts that she gave me as well.

If I had to go factory I'd try the top of the line Federal ammunition and then also Nosler Trophy Grade and Swift High Grade with the 150 Scirocco.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
"What do you 7mm mag guys like for factory loads..."

You lost me at "factory".

laugh

Yeah, threw me off, too...

I'll let others answer that one, never use factory stuff... Roll my own.

RL-26 with heavies has a lot of promise.

The new Fed TBT is interesting, have some 160's to try.

DF

Edited to add. To the OP, welcome to the Fire.

As far as break in, I now treat with Dyna Bore Coat and go shoot. After a few shoot and clean cycles, I hardly see fouling. And I use a Hawkeye borescope, no guessing.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/20/18.
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I like bullets and 7828. It's that simple.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Although I started the thread with factory ammo in mind, I will be reloading for it this winter or spring at the latest so share any pet loads if you would like.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
64 or 65 grains of IMR 4350. 140 Partition, Accubonds or Ballistic tips for deer, heavier Nosler bullets for bigger stuff.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like 63-66g RL22 for 140 and 160 AB's and Partitions. If i want to crank up the speed, I'll go to 71-72g Retumbo and 160 AB's.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
never Remington cor-loks that`s a very poor bullet for bigger big game in a 7 mag.,> Nosler partitions ,Swift a-frames ,hornady,Barnes,speer all make good bullets,federal trophy bonded bullets, lot`s of choices for better bullets in factory ammo or handloads too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
160 grain partitions and 68 grains of reloaded 26 works for me

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by pete53
never Remington cor-loks that`s a very poor bullet for bigger big game in a 7 mag.,> Nosler partitions ,Swift a-frames ,hornady,Barnes,speer all make good bullets,federal trophy bonded bullets, lot`s of choices for better bullets in factory ammo or handloads too.

I'm actually a bit surprised to hear a bad report on the core lokt bullet in the 7 mag. Do you have any further details to share? Was it the 140/150 gr bullets or the 175 ? Factory load or reload?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The late Jack O'Connor liked Remington Cor-Lokts very much. In the 7mm Remington Magnum, he said the 150s killed a bit quicker but the 175s penetrated more. I hunted with two fellows, father and son, in Colorado who shoot 7mm Remington Magnums loaded with 175 grain Remington factory ammo. I saw the son kill two elk and a big mule deer with his rifle (two trips). The 175 grain ammo he uses went through a big cow elk at close range and all three animals died quickly. I would say those bullets work.

Personally, as a handloader, I would be loading up Barnes 160 grain TSXs like the ones I shoot in my 7mm Weatherby Magnum. I would shoot Partitions, but my rifle doesn't like them. IMR 7828 was formulated specifically for the 7mm Remington Magnum round, it is said.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Have never fired a Cor lokt, but they have a pretty good rep. among those who use them.

If that’s all I had, I’d use them. I don’t have to, I’m a Loony.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Pete - How many CorLok bullets have you used to kill game ? Any ?

From personal KILLING with CorLoks I can tell anyone they ARE better than you say.
I AM using 100 grs in 6mm and 130 grs in 277 and both are TOUGHER ie. they don’t open as much as Hornadys.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

144 members (32_20fan, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 300_savage, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 19 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,669
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.