Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 700LH
Thatched roofs, flint, pottery and buffalo hides, yep, an advanced civilization, about like global warming, eh?

About as civilized as Europe during their stone age.

It takes a lot of organization and quite a market system to keep 20000 people fed when everything has to be transported in with a basket on your head or in a back pack.

Apparently they disposed of their sewage, or the city would not have lasted two hundred years.

The Maya, Aztec, and Inca built cities to be envied by any nation.

There have been a lot of people speaking over the last couple decades that NA native populations were severely depressed by time America embarked on Manifest Destiny. Much evidence has been shown that bison populations were higher in the early 1800s than any time before, as their sole predator was in such declining numbers.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
That is fascinating, thanks for posting. A city of 20,000 in Kansas, unreal. Whipped the ass of the Spaniards, then, a century later, had vanished. Probably wiped out by disease.
European diseases really decimated the Indians.

I have visited the mounds at Cahokia, very impressive.

I have also spent a lot of time among the Maya ruins in the Yucatan, at Chichen Itza and Tulum.

You have to hand it to those Mexican Indians, who built pyramids of carved stone 200 feet high, when the apex of technology among US Indians was a dirt mound, a clay pot, and a flint arrowhead. Really makes me wonder about the Chariots of the Gods stuff, if UFOs visited the Maya and gave them a kick start.

The mound builders built huge pyramids and had elaborate towns as well. In fact, it may turn out that their culture was not that different than that of Mexico. There were certainly trade links. However, the building material was dirt as opposed to cut stone because that sort of stone was not as plentiful as it was in Mexico.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Some of you might be interested in this https://www.amazon.com/1491-Revelat...814658&sr=8-1&keywords=1491+book

Personally, I think the author has a bit of an agenda about the subject, but check it out if you think there might have been huge cities in pre-Columbian America.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks for posting. That was a great read. I have a good friend from Ark City and I forwarded it to him.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Fun read. I will follow the story as it unfolds.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Isn't it amazing how quickly a large city like that falls into ruin and is completely covered up by nature? A city of 20,000 people and 500 years later it takes magnetometers and serious archaeological effort to discover its prior existence.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Thanks for posting the link. It’s quite an amazing find and I look forward to new finds at this site. Last fall our family visited the Etowah Mounds outside Cartersville,GA. That settlement was visited by Desoto and existed at the time of Etzanoa. I have to believe that th two settlements traded and interacted along with the other large cultures. We take such travel Over such distances for granted. These guys hoofed it along and carried their goods or used boats and added many miles to a trip following the waterways. I’d sure like to know more details about these cultures.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Isn't it amazing how quickly a large city like that falls into ruin and is completely covered up by nature? A city of 20,000 people and 500 years later it takes magnetometers and serious archaeological effort to discover its prior existence.
No pavement, no electrical grid, no concrete buildings. There's not much to endure.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
You might be surprised how poorly some of our own cities would fare after 500 years if everyone moved away and never went back.

Last edited by JoeBob; 08/21/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Steel and concrete might not be in the form of buildings after 500 years, but they'd still be there.

― George Orwell

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Steel and concrete might not be in the form of buildings after 500 years, but they'd still be there.

It wouldn’t completely disappear but our concrete wouldn’t do as well as you think. Until very recently, it was markedly inferior to Roman concrete.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wonder if the citizens of that old city may have somehow imported a few blacks?
Look at Detroit.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fire is also a destroyer of any readily found evidence of villages, especially in my part of the Continent.
Travel routes were North-South, rather than East-West from what I have been reading, and whats up with the piles of stones containing numerous deceased people buried within that farmers are finding or have already found especially in Southern Saskatchewan?
North American Indians had alot of interaction with Central/South American Indians, not sure what could be traded or obtained that they didn't already have or need.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JoeBob
You might be surprised how poorly some of our own cities would fare after 500 years if everyone moved away and never went back.

One of the "shark channels" had a series a couple of years ago about how things would deteriorate if all humans disappeared.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Go read all the stories about the graves of giants, with some photographs that they found in the 19th Century. And many of the Indian tribes have legends about having to defeat tribes of giants and the like when they moved into the area.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by 700LH
Thatched roofs, flint, pottery and buffalo hides, yep, an advanced civilization, about like global warming, eh?

About as civilized as Europe during their stone age.

Assuming that to be true, that puts them how many thousands of years behind?

MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Did any North American Indian tribes ever invent the wheel?

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Horses brought to North America by early Spanish explorers probably had the biggest impact on native people's lives especially the plains tribes than anything had in thousands of years prior.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Mesoamerican Wheeled Toys

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Yeah, they had the wheel but there wasn’t much use for it because for most of their existence they didn’t have any domesticated animals suitable for pulling carts. You can’t tame bison, there were no horses, deer can’t pull a cart. Only in the far far south did they have llamas and alpacas, but in the terrain of the Andes, they were better suited as pack animals than they were pulling carts.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 24 invisible), 1,689 guests, and 970 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,274
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.