Print Thread
Hop To
S
SGB Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this scope? I'm looking at one in 3-18x44. It would be used in a hunting application. Would be shooting out to a mac of 400 yds.

GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have the 1-6 on an AR and the fairest assessment I could make is: its not that great. Compared to a Leupold VX-3, the optics are poor. I cant imagine it would get any better going up in magnification. Im giving myself a headache just thinking about looking through that scope. There has got to be some better options in that price and shooting range. Meopta, Leica, Bushnell, Leupold (gasp!)?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wildcat33
I have the 1-6 on an AR and the fairest assessment I could make is: its not that great. Compared to a Leupold VX-3, the optics are poor. I cant imagine it would get any better going up in magnification. Im giving myself a headache just thinking about looking through that scope. There has got to be some better options in that price and shooting range. Meopta, Leica, Bushnell, Leupold (gasp!)?

Just wow...

No one else seems to see that with them... Hard to imagine staying behind a scope long enough to have headache issues...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Just one mans opinion. Maybe its good compared to other 300 dollar scopes. Maybe I just got a bad one.

Last edited by wildcat33; 08/20/18.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I bought two of the 1-6x24's, mounted them, sighted them in and then pulled them off and sold them. I didn't have any issues with the optics but felt the eye positioning at 6x was too critical for 6x to be very usable. Replace them with the Weaver 1.5-4.5 and am satisfied.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wildcat33
Just one mans opinion. Maybe its good compared to other 300 dollar scopes. Maybe I just got a bad one.

Retail is 600... Vortex did not get as big as they are by specifying substandard glass...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JGray
I bought two of the 1-6x24's, mounted them, sighted them in and then pulled them off and sold them. I didn't have any issues with the optics but felt the eye positioning at 6x was too critical for 6x to be very usable. Replace them with the Weaver 1.5-4.5 and am satisfied.

I think that is a fairly common fault with cheaper scopes at the top magnification.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have the 3-18x44. I only have about 40 rounds with it. My opinion thus far:
The optical quality is good - A bit better than my mid 90s Mark4s.
Adjustments are not a crips as would prefer, but usable.
Lots of adjustment - dont know the exact amount, but lots than you need to get to 1000 yards with 6.5 CM.
The reticle is excellent.
The illumination is ridiculously bright. Not useful for low light applications. My only real complaint.

Speak life
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I find that most Vortex scopes up through the Viper line lose it for me at the top of the magnification. My son has a 1-6 Strike Eagle that we've been happy with so far. We don't use 6x much on it though. I looked at Vipers for a precision AR that I put together but bought a Bushnell Elite Tactical instead. The Bushnell was clear right up to 16x

Dan

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’ll start by saying I have had good luck with a lot of Vortex scopes. I too have found at higher magnifications they tend to lose it for me as well. I had a Viper PST in 6-24 and I couldn’t use it above 20x. However, I have a Viper HSLR that is one of my favorites. The thing with Vortex is you are getting quality products for the money but aren’t getting the top of the line glass until you get to the higher end scopes. If you go with the Strike Eagle and have the mindset it is meant to be a budget scope you will probably be satisfied but if you’re expecting something more than you’ll probably want to look at something different. Just my opinion. Good luck.

IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I was at the range today. A guy raved about Vortex. I asked, where they were made. He said Wisconsin. Is this true? I dont see anywhere that it is made in Wisconsin. If it is , I may buy a cheaper one for my muzzleloader. It wont get 50 rounds a year , but it sure does get a kick with a 340 gr. bullet.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ihookem
I was at the range today. A guy raved about Vortex. I asked, where they were made. He said Wisconsin. Is this true? I dont see anywhere that it is made in Wisconsin. If it is , I may buy a cheaper one for my muzzleloader. It wont get 50 rounds a year , but it sure does get a kick with a 340 gr. bullet.

Last I knew the Vortex Razor line is made in Japan. Vipers and Diamondbacks are made in Philippines. Crossfire scopes are produced in China. The Strike Eagle is made in China too. Only their AMG line is USA made, I think.

Their headquarters is in Barneveld, WI.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hey, have a 1-8 strike eagle on a Kel tec 16su I think it's called??? Only got it a few weeks past. Had in on a X bolt 223 before. Used it past winter on coyotes in front of hounds, 1x is good when they bust out of cover on the run to the next bush line! 8x is ok, can still shoot ground hogs at 300 maybe more! It's not a high end scope for long range but I like it lots. Use to run a 2.5-8 leopold on a cz 527 223! Wanted to try the hi bc bullets for a change & need the faster twist. May try the x bullets on deer this year?!? At 1x the field of view is great, like a fast peep, on 8x it's like I say, I can hit hogs out there at 300!!! Ya for long range a 2.5 x 10 or 12 or 15 is much better. I'm out 🐾👣🐾👣

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Bought one of the first 1-6 Strike Eagle's off the boat

Mounted it on an AR Aero Precision 300 BLK

no probs........but has not been a high use item either

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

From their website...

RAZOR® HD AMG™ RIFLESCOPES
From precision long-range shooting and tactical applications to maximizing effective range on open-landscape western hunts, the Razor HD AMG is the ideal riflescope for an extremely wide range of shooting scenarios. At just 28.8 oz, it's the lightest weight, fully-featured, long-range riflescope on the market—putting it in a class of its own.

Nearly every component in the AMG, from the index-matched lenses to smallest screw, is engineered, machined, and assembled in the USA. The only component from outside the USA is the German manufactured reticle. If you're looking for a top-tier long-range precision riflescope, look no further than the Razor HD AMG.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/razor_hd_amg_riflescope

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Oh, thanks Sitkadeer, They are made in the states. How bout that, some competition for Redfield and Leopold. As for long range, I had to laugh a bit. It will go on a muzzleloader that will likely never shoot a deer past 50 yds. I could though, put it on my .243 for coyotes. Later,ihookem,

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh, thanks Sitkadeer, They are made in the states. How bout that, some competition for Redfield and Leopold. As for long range, I had to laugh a bit. It will go on a muzzleloader that will likely never shoot a deer past 50 yds. I could though, put it on my .243 for coyotes. Later,ihookem,

That is the one scope they make in the USA, the rest of their line comes over on a boat. But yes, their quality is on par with comparable offerings from Leupold and Redfield.

Last edited by wareagle700; 08/24/18.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

No problem, just setting things to right on the information.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you have to think of this scope as a mediocre glass/budget scope over 300$ than there is a problem.
Maybe I’m poor. But budget scope is $100+/-
Only vortex I have is a viper 2-7 and it nice, but it has little lookin through a tube effect.
Sold my diamond back as I bought it for all the hype and then I dumped it as I was not impressed.
For what ever reason my eyes like Nikon monarchs for the money.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got the Strike Eagle 1-8x24 and had it mounted on my AR up until this past weekend then mounted it on my Marlin XLR 45-70 which I will be using for moose this coming weekend. Personally I like the glass and have had zero issues sighting it in and it holding zero. When it sat on my AR it was sighted in at 50 yards and I followed the instructions for shooting it out to 300 yards and it worked as advertised. I am thinking about getting another to put back on my AR and leave my current scope on the Marlin. Their warranty is hard to beat IMO.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,944
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.