Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Dave Ramsey haters? You gotta have a screw loose to hate this man. Of course, the word "hater" is tossed around indiscrimately these days.

I listen to Dave every day on Sirius and he knows what he is talking about.
I have been looking for a used Nissan pickup 4WD for 10 months. I am picky.
And I was frustrated and, after ten months, had saved up the $31 grand to just drive up to the GD dealer in Johnson City Tenn. and buy a new one!

And my girlfriend said "Dave Ramsey will be mad at you...."

And a week later I found one, a really nice 2010 with just 40K miles always garaged for $15,800.

So let's break down why that buy made Dave Ramsey smile. Right off the bat, saved $15K. Just to drive the new vehicle off the lot costs $2 grand in depreciation. Higher annual tag tax and title, and higher insurance cost.

The new one will depreciate $9 grand in three years.

So in the first three years, it would cost about $20 grand MORE to buy the new vehicle than the used one that I bought.
And my cash is hard earned truck driver money and $31 grand is all I have. So the new truck would have made me broke,a nd I would have stayed broke.
Thank you, Dave!

You could have bought the new one for 31, drove it for 2 years and sold it for 27. $2000/ year is less than $200/mo. wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
All goes back to the misuse of free will, some would say. Behavior is the key.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dave is an idiot. That is all.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Theres math and there's behavior. He is teaching behavior

Exactly. Most people can do basic math, but many do not have the self control to put that knowledge to use.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Originally Posted by pahick

"earth to pahick...come in, pahick.... your ship just passed the planet Pluto, you are leaving the gravitational pull of our Sun, turn around now and head back to earth or you will leave the solar system never to return..."

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

He's made a lot of money while helping a lot of people. If that is what you call an idiot, then o.k. I guess.
Do tell why you are so much smarter than the rest of us.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"earth to pahick...come in, pahick.... your ship just passed the planet Pluto, you are leaving the gravitational pull of our Sun, turn around now and head back to earth or you will leave the solar system never to return..."

Im firmly planted. Dave, and apparently most of you, arent.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gregintenn

He's made a lot of money while helping a lot of people. If that is what you call an idiot, then o.k. I guess.

I never said I was smarter than you. I said Dave is an idiot. If you think credit is bad, and youre too stupid to leverage credit, then yes, youre stupid and I am smarter than you.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I never said I was smarter than you. I said Dave is an idiot. If you think credit is bad, and youre too stupid to leverage credit, then yes, youre stupid and I am smarter than you.

Well congratulations!

Somehow I scrape by without having to do so, but you do make it sound cool.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Oh, you gonna leverage the credit. Yeah I had a neighbor who was doing that.
I am out in the woods in North Carolina. Had a neighbor, he lived on 40 acres. Real estate values were climbing fast, about the time he should have paid off his place, I asked him about it and he said he was $150K in debt. Matthew told me "Leverage. I got a $130K home equity loan and used it to buy 200 acres that I am now developing. Leverage, my boy."

Borrowed against the value of the house his wife and kids lived in.

And he made money on that 200 acre deal. And leveraged that to do the next deal. This was the year 2000, a recession hit that year and it all went to crap, his house got repoed and last I heard he was living in the garage apartment of his brother in law in Charleston, one bedroom apartment up there with the wife and 2 kids. Leverage.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Originally Posted by rem141r
i have followed dave ramseys advice for 25 years and my kids are doing it now and we are all debt free. its common sense that is lacking in this world and should be taught in all schools.

So teachers are responsible for teaching finances to kids ? What in the hell do parents do nowadays beside shuffle billy and Barbie between baseball and gymnastics?
Parents don’t know how to be parents. They just want to be friends. Friggin unbelievable.

Parents with school age children were not taught finances in school either.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
"good growth stock mutual fund" ummm where. I asked my accountant and even put a post on this forum no one could tell me how they got wealthy or knew anyone that ever has from investing in mutual funds.

Than your accountant is stupid and you should fire him. Of course, it's not surprise that you would have a stupid accountant.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I am out in the woods in North Carolina. Had a neighbor, he lived on 40 acres. Real estate values were climbing fast, about the time he should have paid off his place, I asked him about it and he said he was $150K in debt. Matthew told me "Leverage. I got a $130K home equity loan and used it to buy 200 acres that I am now developing. Leverage, my boy."

And he made money on that 200 acre deal. And leveraged that to do the next deal. This was the year 2000, a recession hit that year and it all went to crap, his house got repoed and last I heard he was living in the garage apartment of his brother in law in Charleston, one bedroom apartment up there with the wife and 2 kids. Leverage.

He obviously isn't as smart as pahick.

Proverbs 22:7 King James Version (KJV)

7 The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender.

Here's what I read in the Bible regarding debt. Good enough for me.

I haven't found anything leverage related in there so far.

Last edited by gregintenn; 08/20/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Sounds like he made some bad deals. A lot of people suffered though the recession. Some were smart enough to prosper. Some, like youre friend, werent. Its unfortunate. It happens.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Let me ask you, do own a home? Meaning Good debt? Or do you rent, as Ramsey tells you to do until you can pay cash. As in BAD debt.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Let me ask you, do own a home? Meaning Good debt? Or do you rent, as Ramsey tells you to do until you can pay cash. As in BAD debt.

I own a home. Meaning NO debt. Never paid rent.

Last edited by gregintenn; 08/20/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought cardboard when it was 16 cents a ton!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I own a home. Meaning NO debt.

So you paid cash before you moved in?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I own a home. Meaning NO debt.

So you paid cash before you moved in?

No. I did have a mortgage for a short while. I never said I was perfect.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We had an Economics class for 1/2 semeter in 11th grade at my "hillbilly inbred skool in tn" and also we had a typing/accounting class too. Also agri-business too.

And we didnt make rice krispie treats in our econ class.

Maybe some other schools allowed intro to being a rodeo clown as a substitution. laugh

Just sayin

Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (219DW, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 007FJ, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,276
Posts18,486,709
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.