Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
What cleaners and procedures are you using for lead/carbon removal in 22 rimfire barrels?

I am aware of the shoot them dirty vs. shoot them clean discussions but I have two barrels that shoot their best when clean. I am hoping to find a cleaner and procedure to minimize the amount of brushing but I am not adverse to anything that works.

Not that it matters all that much but these are match grade barrels and both will shoot sub-quarter inch at 50 yds until they start fouling.

Thanks in advance.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a .17 rod and brushes to wrap with patches for my CFs, but mostly use a pull-though, being very careful to keep it centered in the bore, for my rimfires on the rare occasions I clean them.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Mad
Campfire Ranger
I normally just pull a BoreSnake through mine on occasion. But if it needs a little scrubbing, I use a Tipton carbon rod with a nylon brush and MPro-7.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I use fuel injector cleaner in my custom silhouette rifle. It works well on lead. Followed up with Kroil.

Last edited by RickF; 08/23/18.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I'll use a boresnake to start (since it has a brush on it) to loosen everything up but then I'll take some weedeater line, cut one end at an angle to push through a patch, light the other end with a lighter and press it against something to flatten the end out to hold the patch while I pull it through the barrel, works well. You basically finish cleaning the rifle instead of pulling all that crud constantly through with the boresnake.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use Wipe-Out foaming bore cleaner. I’ll never use a brush again.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The only time I use a brush on rimfires is when there's the possibility of priming residue building up in front of the chamber. Otherwise I'm pretty gentle with 'em. One product I have found that can help if leading occurs is Shiloh Sharps Bore Cleaner, which they claim has "superior LEAD removing ability." It also works on copper, plastic shot-cup fouling, various kinds of powder fouling--and also doesn't harm stock finishes. Dunno if it's the best lead remover, but it does do the job.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by drover
What cleaners and procedures are you using for lead/carbon removal in 22 rimfire barrels?

I am aware of the shoot them dirty vs. shoot them clean discussions but I have two barrels that shoot their best when clean. I am hoping to find a cleaner and procedure to minimize the amount of brushing but I am not adverse to anything that works.

Not that it matters all that much but these are match grade barrels and both will shoot sub-quarter inch at 50 yds until they start fouling.

Thanks in advance.

drover

I occasionally use TM solution applied with a bronze brush. Seems to work.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks to all of you for the info.

I have tried foaming bore cleaner and surprisingly enough it seemed to work well. I also have tried Kroil which is great for carbon fouling but didn't seem to much for lead removal.

I will pick up some of the Shiloh Sharps bore cleaner the next time I am through Big Timber, I should have connected the dots and associated black powder rifles and lead fouling.

I have seen some cleaners that are especially for lead removal, I believe Hoppes makes one, along with a couple of other manufacturers - has anyone tried any of those, and if so what were the results?

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Clean them all from the breech end, no exceptions.

2 patches of #9, a patch with EEZOX, and 1-2 patches of gun oil, followed by a dry patch. Done I don't use brushes, nor ammo that leads the bore.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Believe it or not one of the best removers of lead in a barrel is a tight fitting patch on a jag soaked in turpentine.If the patch is so tight that you need to tap it through,so much the better.FWIW.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I clean mine with VFG felt pellets and Bore Tech Eliminator followed by Break Free CLP. Does a great job removing all the crud that accumulates in .22 RF bores.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I use either Hoppe's #9 or Ed's Red. Years ago I read in the FOULING SHOT (the Cast Bullet Association publication) that Shooter's Choice solvent would remove lead fouling without brushing. I assume this was in reference to mild lead fouling and perhaps the bore was allowed to soak for a while. I've never attempted to verify this, but it may work.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I use Shooters Choice running 3 wet patches first and then brushing with nylon brush. I then run another wet patch and then dry patches. I also have used Bore Tech Rimfire Blend with good results. I am more concerned with carbon buildup in front of the chamber then leading. I have a short rod I use to clean the chamber and just in front of it.

Good Shooting,

George
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
lotech,

Hard to verify any sort of bore fouling (or effectiveness of various cleaning products) without a bore-scope.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What brush you fellas use for cleaning build up in the chamber. IE 22 shorts often shot in a 22lr chamber.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I like VFG pellets and adapter with J-B paste for chambers.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The only time I use a brush on rimfires is when there's the possibility of priming residue building up in front of the chamber. Otherwise I'm pretty gentle with 'em. One product I have found that can help if leading occurs is Shiloh Sharps Bore Cleaner, which they claim has "superior LEAD removing ability." It also works on copper, plastic shot-cup fouling, various kinds of powder fouling--and also doesn't harm stock finishes. Dunno if it's the best lead remover, but it does do the job.

How do you determine when the possibility of priming residue buildup exist? Accuracy drop off?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Clean them all from the breech end, no exceptions.

2 patches of #9, a patch with EEZOX, and 1-2 patches of gun oil, followed by a dry patch. Done I don't use brushes, nor ammo that leads the bore.

DD

where you finding EEZOX ?

like that stuff.......smells gooood......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

270 members (264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 219 Wasp, 34 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,870
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.