Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If I'm shooting sub moa with a 7mm Rem Mag, shaving maybe another 1/4" off with a .243 or a 6.5 Needmoor isn't going to help me kill anything. But I can't speak for everybody. Like I said my case is unusual. I was started on a .30-06 and 180 Remington Green Box right from the beginning. When I shoot a light rifle I always feel like something is missing. Much like a flat chested woman.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
DC 590

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I only hunted them one time. Didn't get one. I carried a 348 Winchester, M71.

My brother-in-law (who lives in Alaska) used an Iron-Sighted Winchester M70 30-06 with 220 grain bullets every year and said in 30 years he's never had a shot over 200 yards. That's what he uses on moose, black bears, grizzly's wolves and caribou. He moved there in 1974 and it's the only rifle he owns, and the only one he's ever owned. yet he never seems to have much problem filling the freezer.

When I hunted them I hit them between the herds moving I guess, and we had only 3 days to hunt.

Of the 5 of us on that 3 day hunt, none of us got one and we only saw one herd on the 3rd day out at about 2 miles just about 90 minutes before it got dark. Rifles carried were one 348 Winchester with peep sight, one 30-06 with irons, 0ne 308 with a 2.5X scope, One 270 with a 3X-9X scope and one 7MM Mag with a 3X-9x scope. No shots fired at all.

My brother in law told me that my peep-sighted M71 was 100% ok and I believe him. But you have to find them no matter what you carry. I didn't

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by anie
Is a creedmore with 143 bullets big enough 4 caribou at 300,400
or 500 yards, or should I use a bigger gun, what ya think?

I dunno..if you are taking 143 bullets...that oughta be enough!

What is the bag limit? regardless, 143 ought to be enough.

geeze — Tough crowd. Won’t even give a gal a break. wink
Y’all could’ve (not couldof) at least done a smiley. grin

Jerry

I apologize for being a meanie.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The Creed with 143's will do fine. My .260 with 140 factory Corelokts did on the several I shot with it to out beyond 300 yards Best caribou gun I ever had was a RU77V in .25-06 using 120gr Speer hand-loads.

Lately I've used a M98 in '06 with 27 inch heavy barrel to good effect to almost 500 yards, starting with factory Corelokts in 150 gr, and progressing into the Hornady Superperformance line (also 150). Not something I'd pack up a sheep mountain, but no prob using an ATV or snowmobile.

As said, caribou die pretty easy, based on the 75 or so I've taken. Can't recall any that I have shot that didn't die within a few yards, except two, that ran 75 yards or so, then ran back to near where they were hit to fall. I did see an unaware cow shot several decades ago that bolted at the shot and ran nearly 200 yards, and her with a lung blown out the far side... Weird, and exceptional.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, the 6.5 Creed has plenty of the "right stuff" for caribou, even a big bull shot through the lungs is dead bull. My wife and I will be hunting caribou for a few days starting tomorrow and we are using the 6.5 Creed and 127 grain Barnes LRX bullets. If we bump a griz I will use it on the griz also. I will have my .338 Winny along, but it is a back up rifle on this trip.

Every year many caribou are killed with the .243 Win. and the .223 Rem. The Mini 14 and AR platform are popular caribou choices in rural Alaska.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Headstamps and rifles don't very often kill things. Bullets do, though. All you "Get a Magnum" guys ever have wives or children that you goaded with that same horseshit, or were the size of your testicles sufficient in those times to simply hand them the rifle that would be honestly enough? I promise: EVERYONE shoots small cartridges better in sporting-weight rifles.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mike74
The more I think about it I have done my best shooting with a 7mm Mag. Some of the best groups I've ever fired in my life were with a 7 mag. I can't shoot any better with a 243 or even a 5.56. Now my dad did start me on a 30-06 at age 12 so I have little fear of recoil.

We see guys like you every year who have "little fear of recoil". Invariably, these are the guys who screw up shots and make a guide's life a living hell.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
The more I think about it I have done my best shooting with a 7mm Mag. Some of the best groups I've ever fired in my life were with a 7 mag. I can't shoot any better with a 243 or even a 5.56. Now my dad did start me on a 30-06 at age 12 so I have little fear of recoil.

We see guys like you every year who have "little fear of recoil". Invariably, these are the guys who screw up shots and make a guide's life a living hell.

That is not limited to Montana...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Headstamps and rifles don't very often kill things. Bullets do, though. All you "Get a Magnum" guys ever have wives or children that you goaded with that same horseshit, or were the size of your testicles sufficient in those times to simply hand them the rifle that would be honestly enough? I promise: EVERYONE shoots small cartridges better in sporting-weight rifles.

Ohhh the times........

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The "magnum" thing means nothing. For example, a .458 Lott shoots big testicles, but does not have a "magnum" on the head-stamp. Yes, the OP can use any of the numerous small cartridges to hunt caribou, because these animals aren't very large (from 300-400 pounds, which leaves about 100 pounds of meat). All kinds of small cartridges have been used for decades to kill caribou in Alaska. But it's true that there is a good chance to have bears (black and grizzly) where the caribou are.

By the way, the caribou hunting season in the Interior of Alaska has been quite nice. Lots of people got their caribou. For some reason I don't like to hunt nor eat caribou meat, but love moose meat. The moose season starts in a little over a week from now.

Last edited by Ray; 08/22/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Hilarious that you think a 7mm mag is a mighty kicker. It might sound and look scary but it's really just a loud 30-06. And a Man that can't shoot a 30-06 ain't much of a man.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Your insecurities are showing.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Ray

The "magnum" thing means nothing. For example, a .458 Lott shoots big testicles, but does not have a "magnum" on the head-stamp. Yes, the OP can use any of the numerous small cartridges to hunt caribou, because these animals aren't very large (from 300-400 pounds, which leaves about 100 pounds of meat). All kinds of small cartridges have been used for decades to kill caribou in Alaska. But it's true that there is a good chance to have bears (black and grizzly) where the caribou are.

By the way, the caribou hunting season in the Interior of Alaska has been quite nice. Lots of people got their caribou. For some reason I don't like to hunt nor eat caribou meat, but love moose meat. The moose season starts in a little over a week from now.

Ray, "magnum" is a category label, not a name. Since you mention the Lott, it is a step UP from a named Magnum. So if you can't figure out what category it's in, you shouldn't be carrying one. And no one needs a damn magnum to chase away the dreaded bears that are rarely seen, either.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Your insecurities are showing.

I own a 45-70 too. It's my main hunting gun. In light of recent revelations from "experts" on here I'm beginning to doubt if I can still hit anything with it? It's good that you know me so well because I always thought I could handle this stuff. I never would've even known that I'd end up wounding everything in Montana. Good thing I've steered clear.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My 35 Whelen is back from JES. I'm hitting the range today but now I'm worried I won't be able to get it sighted in. Since somebody who doesn't know me from Adam has pegged me as a recoil wimp. Maybe I'll just steer clear of Montana with it?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My 35 Whelen is back from JES. I'm hitting the range today but now I'm worried I won't be able to get it sighted in. Since somebody who doesn't know me from Adam has pegged me as a recoil wimp. Maybe I'll just steer clear of Montana with it?

Yeah - and WITH your $$$$ too.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Hilarious that you think a 7mm mag is a mighty kicker. It might sound and look scary but it's really just a loud 30-06. And a Man that can't shoot a 30-06 ain't much of a man.

Your comment is quite telling - a part of your masculine identity is tied to larger rifles. Your difficulties in accepting lighter kickers in the thread following your medical diagnosis to stay away from hard kickers, as well as this one, makes sense now. It also makes sense that you take it as a personal attack when folks bring up factual evidence to counter your emotional hang ups. That's ok, plenty of other men think that having the fastest car or wife with the biggest fake boobs makes them more of a man, so you're not alone in the world.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You may be happy to know I just got back from some range time with the .243 Win. I'm not tied to big guns necessarily as I like the full spectrum. But I actually don't like the .30 plus caliber magnums at all. I recently got a deal on a 300 Magnum that I couldn't pass on and it quickly reminded me why I have sold others in the past. I don't find the 7mm Mag disagreeable however.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall

Yeah - and WITH your $$$$ too.

Jerry

Mike, if I had a business that benefitted from non residents I’d be careful about criticizing or
insulting them. References both/either help or hurt.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,633 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,839
Posts18,478,119
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.