Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Bwinters, you're a few years older than me, but I'm already questioning if some of these sheep and goat hunts are too tough for me. Bottom line: you should do these hunts as soon as you can. The older you get, the tougher these hunts become and you'll be wishing that you had done them sooner. Especially when your knees are begging for mercy on the face of a mountain.

I did my first sheep and goat hunt when I was 28 here in CO DIY. I drew both licenses the same year. I hunted hard for the entire season. Took one of the biggest goats ever to come out of my area to this day, but never found a ram that I wanted to pull the trigger on. I've been on two other DIY sheep hunts over the last 20 years here in CO and each got successively harder. One hunt was not mine, I just tagged along. I've been on one other DIY goat hunt, about 10 years ago here in CO and that was tougher than I would have thought it would be. Needless to say, I still have not killed a bighorn and I've only got one goat to my credit.

I did a guided Dall sheep hunt in AK about 14 years ago in the Alaskan range and it was a tough hunt. I think I could still probably do it now, but it would not be easy by any stretch. Fortune smiled on me and I shot my ram on the first day. I would love to go back and do another one of these hunts, but like you, I still have kids in school and other priorities take over. I've been thinking maybe about a goat hunt these days since I know it won't be too long before I won't be able to do that type of hunt anymore. I have a friend who is an outfitter in AK that has some pretty nice areas for goats and I've been thinking of going with him. I can pass on his name to you if you're interested. Sometimes he'll reduce his rate for guys in situations like yours, i.e. you aren't a millionaire.

Personally, I'd forgo the elk hunting for a year or two and concentrate on these hunts. Get a guide where your chances of success are going to be higher. The DIY route is nice from a financial standpoint, but the logistics are tough and success is questionable in most instances.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I would be interested in your buddy's name/outfit.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Drew a sheep tag after 21 years of applying... Sept. 1 is the big day!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I drew goat in WY the first time I applied. No points needed. But I talked to folks that had applied for 15 years and never drawn. 280 some people applied for 2 tags in that unit. Not great odds but possible. I was 57 and overweight. Lost 30 pounds by hiking 240 miles that summer. Had an outfitter booked for elk that took me for goat at no additional charge because he wanted to hunt goat and it was the same unit as elk.
Got my goat and decided sheep in the Yukon was possible if I kept up my physical condition. I was already saving for a Yukon moose hunt, and in 2013 went for my sheep at age 59. Expensive but worth it. The Yukon experience is beyond dreams.
Went back last year at age 63 for my Yukon moose. Paid for it over 4 years with my bonus from work and part of my severance when I retired. Again, worth it. Saw multiple bulls every day and took a 65" wide beast.
You may have to give up something to get something more. I still took a hunt every year while I saved, but not two. Age becomes as much mental as physical. I had cancer surgery in February and I am back to hiking 3 miles a day. Going to MT in October for DYI deer and antelope. Don't give up.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

Congrats W C H > Good Luck

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
WOODY

You probably ought to buy a LOTTERY ticket. Enjoyed the read.

Maybe you could post a story or 2 of your hunts. I'd be interested.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
What are some the elevations folks are hunting goats out west (Montana etc).

I'm assuming fairly high, but have no idea.

I do know I enjoyed hunting them at 4000 feet in SE Alaska.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

sh.....mine was about
10000.....I can glass goats from my house...….8500 to almost 11000......bob......edit..my house is around 5200

Last edited by BobMt; 08/24/18.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yeah, walking at 11000 feet is a lot tougher than 4000.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by JJWise
I don’t guess I realized goats were easier to draw. I was planning on applying for a sheep point but will probably change it to goat in that case.

Originally Posted by bwinters
I've looked at Montanas unlimited sheep tag areas but think the low odds in combination with the fact that I've never set foot in any of those units makes the odds of success rather abysmal.

I’ve heard those units are extremely rugged on top of it all. If it was a little less expensive I’d go just with the hopes of spotting some sheep. But for the price they’re asking combined with the stories I’ve heard about long sheepless hunts, I’ll pass.

When I was in Montana, we had a guy booked for the unlimited sheep area. We packed up the horses and hauled him to the trail head. He took one look and changed his mind. He was on his way home that afternoon. I'm sure he did the right thing for him.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seriously, you're not getting any younger and it's only money. I apply for goat and sheep tags every year. One day I'll draw. I save for a couple of years and do a guided goat hunt because that's what i want to hunt. I know I'll never afford sheep. So far I've shot 3 DIY and 2 guided. I'm 47 and want to do at least one more DIY and one more guided.

It's all about priorities. You want to hunt a hard to draw animal, it's going to cost you. I buy a truck every 10-12 years. I don't eat out. I don't have a boat. I don't have a 4 wheeler. I spend all that on hunting.

You're not getting any younger so what are you going to do? Keep getting older and wishing you'd have seen goat country, or go do it?

I watched my Grandfather, who loved sheep hunting in the old days, work till he was too old to physically do anything. As he was dying, he told me he greatly regretted thinking work was more important than life. I took that message to heart. It's only money. I've found all kinds of ways to finance my hunting around the world. I plan to die broke but happy.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm buying 'it's only money' sentiment. My retirement is in great shape, I dont have any debt beside a bit of mortgage left (5-6 years), and all the kids out of college (almost).

So..... let's discuss goat and sheep outfitters. I'm seeing prices for goat hunts ranging from $4000 to $10,000; sheep hunts seem to start at $7500 and go to a gazillion depending on sheep. I'd think bighorn or Dall sheep be the most 'affordable'. Good outfitters? Prices?

Thank you for all the thoughts so far.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bw,
My Yukon sheep hunt was a little over $20,000 total, outfitter fee, flights, overnights in Whitehorse, tips, tags, etc. It's likely $5000 more now. My outfitter only takes 4 to 5 sheep hunters per year and has been 100% for over 10 years. Pay once and get your sheep rather than two or more cheaper hunts in AK. Also consider putting in for the sheep foundation raffle, auctions go for big dollars but the raffle may pay off. Another option is to put in for the WY super tag every year.

jwall,
I've posted picture filled hunt journals on my big hunts here. Photobucket may have my pictures hosed at this point but I will PM you some links

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bwinters
I'm buying 'it's only money' sentiment. My retirement is in great shape, I dont have any debt beside a bit of mortgage left (5-6 years), and all the kids out of college (almost).

So..... let's discuss goat and sheep outfitters. I'm seeing prices for goat hunts ranging from $4000 to $10,000; sheep hunts seem to start at $7500 and go to a gazillion depending on sheep. I'd think bighorn or Dall sheep be the most 'affordable'. Good outfitters? Prices?

Thank you for all the thoughts so far.

There is no OTC sheep for 7500, Not even close.
Bighorn will start at 25, Dall at 17.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd just move to Alaska for 5 years.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 54Woody
bw,

jwall,
I've posted picture filled hunt journals on my big hunts here. Photobucket may have my pictures hosed at this point but I will PM you some links

Yes, I got the PM and THANKS.

I'll get into them DURING the heat today. Now to sweat before it gets hot.

Thnx

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

Congrats W C H > Good Luck

Jerry

x2, good luck and make sure you post a write up with pics!

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd just move to Alaska for 5 years.

Pretty good suggestion. Glad I scratched my mountain hunting itch when I was a res. Problem is the itch keeps coming back 😀

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by 54Woody
bw,

jwall,

Yes, I got the PM and THANKS.

I'll get into them DURING the heat today. Now to sweat before it gets hot.

Thnx

Jerry

Be prepared...Mr Woody’s write ups are some the fire’s best.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hey Tom ( Slim > grin)

I agree about Mr. Woody's posts. I 'may'? have read those and forgotten but I don't know. I'm looking forward to the details.
Woody has posted some pix of Very Nice WT recently so I'm quite interested.

I've just come in from some projects and 'fixin' to eat and R&R this afternoon.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 25aught6, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,930
Posts18,518,934
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.