Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by TomM1
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd just move to Alaska for 5 years.

Pretty good suggestion. Glad I scratched my mountain hunting itch when I was a res. Problem is the itch keeps coming back 😀

I hear ya. Though blacktails are what I miss.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Pretty good suggestion. Glad I scratched my mountain hunting itch when I was a res. Problem is the itch keeps coming back 😀

I hear ya. Though blacktails are what I miss.

Blacktails in the high country are the best of both worlds IMO. Ive seen some of the most spectacular high country vistas while chasing blacktails and...gasp, black bears. I remember one bear we put a failed stalk on was the same elevation as a mature billy and only a couple hundred yards away. You dont have to have a sheep or goat tag to hunt the high country, there are other more afforable venues to wet your whistle.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bwinters
I'm buying 'it's only money' sentiment. My retirement is in great shape, I dont have any debt beside a bit of mortgage left (5-6 years), and all the kids out of college (almost).

So..... let's discuss goat and sheep outfitters. I'm seeing prices for goat hunts ranging from $4000 to $10,000; sheep hunts seem to start at $7500 and go to a gazillion depending on sheep. I'd think bighorn or Dall sheep be the most 'affordable'. Good outfitters? Prices?

Thank you for all the thoughts so far.

I've hunted and killed goats with 2 different outfitters in BC and have hunted with several more for other animals but could have hunted goat. All have been great except one. There are lots of BC outfitters. Most great. Some not so much. My next goat hunt will be with Brian Glaicar at http://www.monasheeoutfitting.com/mountain_goat.html#anchor
I've killed moose and wolf with him and both my kids have killed bear there. I've goat hunted as a side hunt but without the intention of shooting anything. He has lots of goats and almost no resident hunters at all. He only does a few goat hunts a year. He has some good areas for us guys who have slowed a bit in the step.

I would also hunt goat in BC with anyone whose last name is Leuenberger. It is a large family that now owns 4 or 5 different outfitting areas. I've hunted with many of them and trust them to provide a great hunt. Also, if I ever do get enough money to hunt sheep, it will most definitely be with a Leuenberger. Many a day I've spent watching sheep in their areas, wishing I had the bankroll. If I suddenly come across some cash, I'll give Steven a call at http://ramcreek.ca/index.php/hunts/rams.php for bighorn, or hunt with one of his nephews or son farther north for dall/stone.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Well, I scratched my itch there, but it's like a nasty mosquito bite that just keeps itching. Drew three Kodiak goat tags and my wife drew one, plus went with several friends for their goat. Just wish I'd got a dall while there.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

Well, I scratched my itch there, but it's like a nasty mosquito bite that just keeps itching. Drew three Kodiak goat tags and my wife drew one, plus went with several friends for their goat. Just wish I'd got a dall while there.

I have the same regret. Killed a goat on the Kenai via a DIY hunt, been on two sheep hunts. One in the Talkeetnas that produced a couple 7/8 curls, but no shooters and one in the wrangles in which we blew the best Ram out of there about 4 hrs before the opener. He never returned and I never got a sheep. ‘Twas fun chasing them though...

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys. I have home work.....

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I put in for goat and sheep every year here in WA. Have no illusions that I’ll ever draw.

For what some of the guided hunts cost in BC and Alaska, I’d fly to New Zealand and hunt Tahr DIY, and then party for a couple weeks while there. Still probably save a few grand. Damn some of those hunts are expensive.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
C
C
Great thread.

I cannot add much to what has already been said. It’s all about priorities. I have been on 3 sheep hunts - two in Canada and one draw desert BH hunt in AZ. I have put in religiously for almost 20 years in multiple states but never really expected to draw - what a great shock that was! I now lack the Rocky for my slam.

Honestly, your draw chances are slim, certainly nothing you can count on. I would save for a BC goat or Yukon Dall hunt. Just my 2 cents. The hunts were all a financial sacrifice, but I have never regretted a penny that was spent. There is nothing like it.

Good luck!!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Cbeard

New Member - Post 1.

WELCOME and a good first post.

uh oh — Texas ? Never mind whistle grin

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 08/26/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
C
C
grin

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I drew a NW Montana goat tag, resident, at age 64. I trained from the day that I received notice of drawing. I walked, ran, hiked uncounted miles and climbed the football field bleachers with my pack loaded to simulate the weight. I ate well to reduce weight and ad muscle. I did take a nice 9” Billy after three arduous, hair raising days of mountain climbing. Let me tell you it kicked my old butt. Yet, it was one of the most fullfilling hunts of my lifetime. Now, you have stated that your age is 55 I believe. Well, you ain’t getting any younger. It is difficult to draw either a goat or sheep tag in the lower 48. I hve been putting in for A resident sheep tag in MT for ages.....no luck! Therefore, I whole heartedly suggest if a sheep or goat hunt is on your to do list, get with it and spend the $$$$$. Yes, it is expensive. But, there ain’t no ATM machines in hell!
Have you considered an Aoudad hunt in TX. Also, there are over the counter tags to be had for Aoudad in SW New Mexico for good diy hunts. Have done both successfully. The TX hunt was on a private ranch that I had to pay a trespass fee. Both, one and done.
There has been great suggestions to this post. In hope they will answer your question and desire to hunt both. Good luck in your adventure quest. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

I've hunted and killed goats with 2 different outfitters in BC and have hunted with several more for other animals but could have hunted goat. All have been great except one. There are lots of BC outfitters. Most great. Some not so much. My next goat hunt will be with Brian Glaicar at http://www.monasheeoutfitting.com/mountain_goat.html#anchor
I've killed moose and wolf with him and both my kids have killed bear there. I've goat hunted as a side hunt but without the intention of shooting anything. He has lots of goats and almost no resident hunters at all. He only does a few goat hunts a year. He has some good areas for us guys who have slowed a bit in the step.

I would also hunt goat in BC with anyone whose last name is Leuenberger. It is a large family that now owns 4 or 5 different outfitting areas. I've hunted with many of them and trust them to provide a great hunt. Also, if I ever do get enough money to hunt sheep, it will most definitely be with a Leuenberger. Many a day I've spent watching sheep in their areas, wishing I had the bankroll. If I suddenly come across some cash, I'll give Steven a call at http://ramcreek.ca/index.php/hunts/rams.php for bighorn, or hunt with one of his nephews or son farther north for dall/stone.

I just got pictures from a Dall and Stone that one of the Leuenbergers I mentioned above took this summer. I won't post them here as I don't know who the hunters are, but if interested PM me. I know there are lots of good sheep outfitters in BC and the Territories, but I don't know many I'd trust with my $40K+ hunt.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
ALLLLLLLright ! W C H Congrats

Way To Go ! Will be waiting for STORY !

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sweet!! Look forward to the details....

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I have a goat permit this year. Probably won't get to use it. I'm old and know where they are, but
the wife won't go with, while complaining she isn't going caribou hunting, and insisting on a moose hunt next year.

The goats and caribou are in the same country.... both on permit. Sheep too, on general hunt...

Wimmin! smile

Last edited by las; 09/06/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by jwall
ALLLLLLLright ! W C H Congrats

Way To Go ! Will be waiting for STORY !

x2...Congrats and will be looking for a write-up. Lots of character in those curls...

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wy - very, very nice! Story and pics..................... <G>

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
BW, it's taken me ten years of saving as well as selling off some guns to pay for next years AK Dall hunt. Although I put in for Mt. sheep/goat every year at 51 don't know if 'll ever draw.
Unlike others I'm not willing to give up my other yearly western hunts ( all DIY) with my kids and friends, you never know when it will be your last.
In the end it's been a life long dream that will only get harder and more expensive as I age so I figured it's time to make it happen, Yes it's a lot of money for us normal folks, but once you have it booked it keeps a person motivated as you know it's going to happen, so as they say, just do it while you can, worry about the money later!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Best motivator to get/stay in shape there is.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 50 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,922
Posts18,518,836
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.