Hop To
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 28 29
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I was reading a review of the 100 grain Buffalo bore 380 flat nose lead loads and the reviewer was claiming his fear with the load was over penetration with the little .380, then we had the 1700 shooting review that indicated .380 up through 44 magnum was about the same in performance. I am starting to think that a .380 at reasonable distances is going to work about as well as the other larger calibers. I think all of them fall into about the same performance range give or take a bit. Anyone here feel well protected by a .380?

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not my first choice, but with some of today’s loading....it’s much better than it once was! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by memtb
Not my first choice, but with some of today’s loading....it’s much better than it once was! memtb
Ditto...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
What Would You Wisely Choose

380 Auto Verses 9mm Verses 40S&W verses 45 Auto

You are in a small room with only one door. On the outside are 5 murderous thugs each armed with a machete. One will enter the room every 20 seconds with the intent of chopping your head completely off.

Your only choice of firearms is either a 380 Auto with 5 rounds of the best ammo available or a 9MM with 5 rounds of the best ammo available or a 40S&W with 5 rounds of the best ammo available or a 45 Auto with 5 rounds of the best ammo available to defend yourself.

Which would you wisely choose?

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by glockdoofus

You are in a small room with only one door. On the outside are 5 murderous thugs each armed with a machete. One will enter the room every 20 seconds with the intent of chopping your head completely off.

Your only choice of firearms is either a 380 Auto with 5 rounds of the best ammo available or a 9MM with 5 rounds of the best ammo available or a 40S&W with 5 rounds of the best ammo available or a 45 Auto with 5 rounds of the best ammo available to defend yourself.

Alll you have to do is hit them where it counts, a miss with a 9mm, 40 or 45 won't do you any good either...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yep, in the most recent, high sample, statistical study, stopping performance jumps up dramatically starting with .380 ACP, falling just a couple of percentage points below the top performers, to include .44 Magnum. The measure anylized was ability to stop an attacker before attacker accomplished his attack, without regard for number of rounds landed on the attacker.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Alll you have to do is hit them where it counts, a miss with a 9mm, 40 or 45 won't do you any good either...

That wasn't the question.

HE MENTORS ME.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Your question, though ambiguous, is only an attempt to make a person choose a larger cartridge. It is no different than all the people on the Campfire that condone and encourage the use of a 223 deer hunting. If I put myself in a position that 5 machete wielding thugs were to come one at a time and I had to shoot them, I would be more interested in hitting them to stop them, than to worry about caliber.

The original question was whether or not a 380 is adequate and yes, a 380 is adequate.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Wouldn't be my first choice as I have other options. But like has been said there are some good loadings out there. If it was what I had ,I would practice with and load right.Corbon, Hornady and Winchester all have good loads. I know several deputy's that carry an LCP with the Winchester load and.they don't feel under gunned.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Your question, though ambiguous, is only an attempt to make a person choose a larger cartridge. It is no different than all the people on the Campfire that condone and encourage the use of a 223 deer hunting. If I put myself in a position that 5 machete wielding thugs were to come one at a time and I had to shoot them, I would be more interested in hitting them to stop them, than to worry about caliber.

The original question was whether or not a 380 is adequate and yes, a 380 is adequate.

So you are saying that with your SUPERIOR marksmanship skills you feel well equipped with a 380Auto. So I guess you carry one as your PRIMARY carry gun.

HE MENTORS ME.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Will a .380 work?Sure,so will 22 LR, but it is about like saying a .223 is and excellent elk round.Sure it will kill them if placed right,but there are a heck of a lot better options. A sharp stick works too, but I don'r carry one.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You are trying too hard to sell me on a cartridge and not be able to use it. I may not be the best shot with a handgun, but I am good enough that I wouldn’t want me to be shooting at me...

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

You are trying too hard to sell me on a cartridge and not be able to use it. I may not be the best shot with a handgun, but I am good enough that I wouldn’t want me to be shooting at me...

That isn't saying much. I wouldn't want the worst shot in the world shooting at me as most get lucky at times. Now I guess you carry a 380 Auto as your primary carry gun?

HE MENTORS ME.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That isn't saying much. I wouldn't want the worst shot in the world shooting at me as most get lucky at times. Now I guess you carry a 380 Auto as your primary carry gun?

Wow! I can just imagine what your Kindergarten teacher had to put up with...

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Wow! I can just imagine what your Kindergarten teacher had to put up with...

She taught me a lot. She wasn't a 380 Auto fan. Now do you, due to you SUPERIOR SKILLS with a 380 Auto, carry one as your PRIMARY carry gun. Probably not I guess. You probably carry a double barrel derringer in 22 RF with only one barrel loaded. I guess it is loaded with a 22 Short RF.

Last edited by glockdoofus; 08/27/18.

HE MENTORS ME.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The cartridge is acceptable, but the majority of the pistols aren't up to my requirements.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Getting back to the original question......

I carry a 380 often, but the choice is principally due to CC limitations imposed by the climate here in the land of perpetual sweat.
Read that as shorts and a light shirt pretty much year round.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No, given good shot placement - the primary factor in any shooting, whether hunting, self-defense or inanimate targets - and decently performing ammo a .380 is entirely adequate.

Given the choice for saving my hide, an M2 .50 caliber machine gun is not too big at all, although finding a place to carry a 100 round belt about my body becomes problematic...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I’m probably not that good of a shot either. I shoot a least once a week. My favorite shooting is at a plate rack. 6 - 1/2 inch steel plates on a rack at 10 yards. I’ve used 22lr, 22mag, 380, 38special, 9mm, 40s&w and 45acp. They all knock over the plates. Sometimes the little 22 lr reminds you of that bowling pin that’s hit but want fall.
Now for those not familiar with the rack. It has a rope that comes back to the firing line. When the plates are down you pull the rope. It’s stands them all back up with a arm on a swivel.
When the plates are hit with the 9 or 38 they fall over . But when they are hit with a 40 or 45 they don’t just fall over it shakes the entire rack .
Now if 5 people were after me I want to have something that will do them some good. Not saying a 380 want kill someone but I think there is better choices. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Although it is sub-optimal on the energy scale, in the right gun and with the right ammo, I think it is adequate.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

339 members (160user, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,026
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.