Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by aboltfan
The scope has 10 brightness settings. A very nice feature is that you don't have to rotate back to a 0 or off position. Between each brightness setting is an off position.

Dats a good thing!

I have that on a SIG Whiskey and its handy!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I picked one up from Natchez and tossed it on a .223 Montana I chopped down for future grand kids. The reticle (as well as the illuminated dot) should draw the eye in to the target. Scope is light enough. As already noted, the magnification ring is a little stiff.

kenjs1 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I looked at the Whiskey but didn't want a 30mm tube.

On the Burris :
The left side dial controls the ill. dot and one can easily compare the brightest to the lowest setting with a double click in the opposite direction. Why I need 10 levels - who knows? Those clicks are precise feeling which could end up saving battery life. FYI - it uses the Cr2032 battery and SURPRISE - it came with two included.

The eye relief made for easy mounting and I would think it good for a heavy kicker. I smeared a little dab of clear silicone on the massive CZ rings with four slotted screws per ring. Not my favorite but why replace them?
The turret caps screw on and off easily which seems like- so what - right? Except I have a few other caps that give me fits. The turrets are sleek and low profile but non-resettable and could be crisper. How is it even some cheap scopes have such good clicks? In my experience this is where Leupold and Burris could improve. The Weaver, Nikon, Sightron and Meopta I used all seem to have nice distinct clicks to their adjustments.

I found this scope on Amazon currently listing for $329 and getting 5 stars after reviewed by 15 owners . That makes me smile at the $159 ( $172 w/ ship) I paid. EFW there is my affirmation!!

What are the cons of this scope? They are minor. The only specs I could find says it weights 13oz but to me it feels heavier. The gear-like cutouts around the power ring is industrial-ish , heavy and stiff. Being a variable it doesn't quite balance like the sleek fixed power I removed and is noticeably rear heavy. I really can't imagine that being a factor in any purchase equation. Something that will have almost no effect in its use is that the power magnification numbers, and the brightness numbers are all but invisible. This is stuff done by feel for the most part anyway.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks to your heads up post I ordered a 3-9x40 on 8/29 and it came today.

There was a free shipping code on the webpage so I paid $159 shipped.

Upon inspecting the scope some things I will echo. Fairly stiff power ring, Turret adjustments lack a "tactical click" but not like a friction type either. For a scope that probably won't be used as a twister they operate OK for me. Brightness numbers will be hard to read in low light conditions but the adjustments unlike the turrets are very positive and intuitive to use and will not be a problem.

I'm not at all sure why you think the turret number dials are not reset-able, there is easy to follow instructions in the enclosed user guide to accomplish this. (not a zero stop). There is a notch at 180' from the 0 mark, you use a tip of some sort to engage the notch (I used the end of a paper clip) and without turning the adjustment knob rotate the number dial to the desired setting with the tool.

One thing that did surprise me when I first looked into the scope to check out the reticle was a fairly substantial black dot right where the illuminated one would be. This was before I even but a battery in. I would call this a German 3P #4 with a Dot. The thin section is a bit wider than I expected and actually does not extend quite all the way to the dot, like it is suspended.

Overall I am happy with the scope especially for the price and I think I will clamp it on my Marlin .22 mag turkey rifle.

kenjs1 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
WYcoyote- thanks for the reset tip. I THOUGHT so.... Yep it sounds like we got the exact same scope. I hope that speaks well to their QC. Smoking deal ain't it>

Enjoy yours in good health my friend.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well, mine might be for sale after I get it but it's just what I've been looking for in a 1in tube. Had to at least try one out. Won't get mine till Thursday but I have a custom it's going on that should be finished up by the end of the month. Sounds like a nice scope and a heck of a deal. If I like it...think I'll just get another. powdr

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wish they would ship to Alabama

kenjs1 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I rung mine out yesterday and so far love it. I shot my other rifle with a VX3 and as good as eye relief is on that scope I would say Burris might even be greater.

I would recommend checking the reticle center using the mirror method before shooting - but even so it only took me two shots to zero at 50 yds. Clicks seem to be accurate.
One thing I will share is that while it is not the typical and convenient turret reset, there is a method to set a new zero on these.

Here ya go:

. Confucius
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Waiting on pins and needles for mine. powdr

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Do any of you who have bought these have a eye astigmatism? When I look threw my red dot scopes I see a disfigured dot and not a round dot.
I was wondering if I would experience the same with one of these and how the dot looks with out it turned on?

IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I guess not.(:>)

kenjs1 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry Peterbilt - I was sending a PM to powdr on some aspects of these when you wrote this. No, I have no astigmatism so hard to say. Can I ask- how old you are? I have seen older men in late 70's having issues with the crosshairs turning 'squiggly' and unusable- the dot allowed my Dad to continue hunting. The dot just looks like a dark gray dot when turned off. It is not very large and to me , I might guess, because of that 'may' not give you as noticeable an issue as other scopes. Purely a guess. I also wonder if having a range of ten brightness settings might help. I am thinking the dimmer the better for you ???

I will say I have not heard anyone have a negative comment on the scope FWIW.

Last edited by kenjs1; 09/15/18.

. Confucius
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Sorry Peterbilt - I was sending a PM to powdr on some aspects of these when you wrote this. No, I have no astigmatism so hard to say. Can I ask- how old you are? I have seen older men in late 70's having issues with the crosshairs turning 'squiggly' and unusable- the dot allowed my Dad to continue hunting. The dot just looks like a dark gray dot when turned off. It is not very large and to me , I might guess, because of that 'may' not give you as noticeable an issue as other scopes. Purely a guess. I also wonder if having a range of ten brightness settings might help. I am thinking the dimmer the better for you ???

I will say I have not heard anyone have a negative comment on the scope FWIW.
Thanks for the response. I'm in my late 60s but the astigmatism showed up in my late 50s. Glasses helped some but my optometrist passed away and I can't find anyone who understands my problem.
I may be asking too much but if you could take a picture of the reticle turned off so I could see what you mean by dark gray it would help.
Thanks.

kenjs1 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I looked through it again in todays light and all posts and hairs were dark black. I was not successful taking a picture but if you google Burris 3p#4 you an find a few shots.

. Confucius
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
OP,
Thanks for the heads up. I've been looking for just this kind of scope for a little 300BO bolt action. We have a feeder at camp that feeds at night for hogs - little yard lights "illuminate" the area. Decent optics allow you to easily make out your target, but most crosshairs get lost in the darkness. This will be perfect!

I found a 10% off coupon code on couponchief.com, so my total was $158.40. Great deal!!!

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I looked through it again in todays light and all posts and hairs were dark black. I was not successful taking a picture but if you google Burris 3p#4 you an find a few shots.

Thanks for the response I looked and found pictures but they were with the dot lit up and I was interested in what it looked like in the off position since I would more then likely have it turned off when hunting.

kenjs1 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Peterbilt

Thanks for the response I looked and found pictures but they were with the dot lit up and I was interested in what it looked like in the off position since I would more then likely have it turned off when hunting.

Awwww but it looks SO cool when lit! Even without the light it is a great buy on good glass.

. Confucius
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Due to a astigmatism it could look like it's flared and would be useless to me. But could still use it with out it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ckat
OP,
Thanks for the heads up. I've been looking for just this kind of scope for a little 300BO bolt action. We have a feeder at camp that feeds at night for hogs - little yard lights "illuminate" the area. Decent optics allow you to easily make out your target, but most crosshairs get lost in the darkness. This will be perfect!

I found a 10% off coupon code on couponchief.com, so my total was $158.40. Great deal!!!

Thanks for the heads up on the 10% off coupon. I ordered two scopes and some rifle ammo, that coupon saved me over $40.00

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Peterbilt

Here you go.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 204guy, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,599
Posts18,511,378
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.